TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
ghiggz

Hooking Premiere up to the internet

So my Premiere 4 just came today and I'm in the process of trying to set it up. Comcast is coming with the M-card tomorrow, but in the meantime I thought I'd do the basic setup.

Now, when it comes to connecting the TiVo to the internet I REALLY, REALLY don't want to blow $60 on the adapter. But how do I hook up my TiVo with ethernet when my TiVo is in one room and my router/modem/comcrap equipment is in the other room?
ghiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
moedaman

I run ethernet cable to a switch in my basement. So everything in my basement or on the 1st floor is hardwired. Then everything on the 2nd floor runs wirelessly. Of course that won't work for everybody. If you don't have a basement/crawl space or don't want to drill any holes in your floor, then you'll need to either go wireless or snake an ethernet cable around your walls to get to your Tivo.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Time_Lord

Run ethernet everywhere, you're going to need it eventually as there are more and more devices that want internet connectivity, there is only so much you can get on wireless especially when you are competing for WiFi frequencies with your neighbors, cordless phone, etc.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Why is Comcast coming out? Pick up the card at their office and install yourself to save the fee (spend it on ethernet cable instead). Could hardly be easier.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

You can use a wireless bridge instead and it will cost less than the adapter. I use older Linksys WRT54G routers that I've upgraded with DD-WRT firmware. That allows me to use them as bridges or repeaters. I've also used the Zyxel WAP3205 which has N capability but I'm happy with G performance.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
ghiggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Why is Comcast coming out? Pick up the card at their office and install yourself to save the fee (spend it on ethernet cable instead). Could hardly be easier.
They're just coming out to remove their crap dvr and all the stuff that goes with it. Plus, they didn't charge me.

I'm planning on asking them about the ethernet issue, too. It's difficult because normally we'd just run it through the basement, but the room the TiVo will be in isn't in the basement so it would have to either go outside, or run through the house.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
ghiggz

Maybe I should just get a MoCA adapter?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
Maybe I should just get a MoCA adapter?
Absolutely!
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
ghiggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
Absolutely!
How much work does it take to get one? Could I get Comcast to come install it?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you have a Premiere 4 or XL4, you just need 1 MoCa adapter installed at the modem/router end. All other Tivos, you need 2, Modem/router end AND at your Tivo. They connect via the coax cable so no extra wiring.

For wireless, only the Tivo brand adapters are supported, network bridges are unsupported, so you would be on your own to trouble shoot problems.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Bigg

Network bridge, Powerline adapters, MoCA. But with TiVo, I'd recommend MoCA.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I don't know about the OP, but I do know that some cable companies don't offer that option.

When I replaced my S2 Tivos with Premieres, the only option was for the cable guy to bring the cards and do the installs. Personally, I was glad he was there because he had some problems with both of them. Couldn't even get one of them to pair up and had to come back the next day with another one.

I have Charter
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
They're just coming out to remove their crap dvr and all the stuff that goes with it. Plus, they didn't charge me.

I'm planning on asking them about the ethernet issue, too. It's difficult because normally we'd just run it through the basement, but the room the TiVo will be in isn't in the basement so it would have to either go outside, or run through the house.
You could run a cable from the tivo down the to the basement then cross over to the room that has the router. I have a crawl space and that how I did it. Went from from living to the aux room where my computers and router is.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
eric102

I had Cat 5 phone jacks in every room and converted most of them to ethernet so didn't need to run any cables. Worked out great for multiple Tivo's sharing recordings.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
If you have a Premiere 4 or XL4, you just need 1 MoCa adapter installed at the modem/router end. All other Tivos, you need 2, Modem/router end AND at your Tivo. They connect via the coax cable so no extra wiring.

For wireless, only the Tivo brand adapters are supported, network bridges are unsupported, so you would be on your own to trouble shoot problems.
I use DLink DAP-1522's in bridge mode (N 5Ghz) and steam Tivo 2 Tivo effortlessly.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #16
leiff

I also have MOCA question.
I have my only Tivo, a XL4 in a far off room away from router. Beside my Tivo is a popbox movie player I also need to attach to my network to stream my 1080p movie collection from my PC in my modem/router room. I understand I Will be able to buy a single Moca adapter, place it by my modem/router in order to connect my XL to my network. Will I then be able to attach my popbox to my Ethernet of my XL4? Will this provide sufficient bandwidth for 1080p Remux movies? If I buy a mini I'll still need a Moca adapter for my router right? In that case that's more reason for me going Moca now I guess..

Last edited by leiff : 02-18-2013 at 03:10 AM.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I don't know about the OP, but I do know that some cable companies don't offer that option.

When I replaced my S2 Tivos with Premieres, the only option was for the cable guy to bring the cards and do the installs. Personally, I was glad he was there because he had some problems with both of them. Couldn't even get one of them to pair up and had to come back the next day with another one.

I have Charter
The FCC mandated self install if they let you self install other cable equipment.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I also have MOCA question.
I have my only Tivo, a XL4 in a far off room away from router. Beside my Tivo is a popbox movie player I also need to attach to my network to stream my 1080p movie collection from my PC in my modem/router room. I understand I Will be able to buy a single Moca adapter, place it by my modem/router in order to connect my XL to my network. Will I then be able to attach my popbox to my Ethernet of my XL4? Will this provide sufficient bandwidth for 1080p Remux movies? If I buy a mini I'll still need a Moca adapter for my router right? In that case that's more reason for me going Moca now I guess..
I'm curious if they can bridge too. It would certainly have enough bandwidth if it can bridge.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
mattack

OTHER PEOPLE have said in other threads that yes, you can hook other items up to the ethernet port of the Tivos with built in Moca and it will 'just work' and go through.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OTHER PEOPLE have said in other threads that yes, you can hook other items up to the ethernet port of the Tivos with built in Moca and it will 'just work' and go through.
Nice. I didn't see anything else in the thread about using the TiVos to bridge.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
tdroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Nice. I didn't see anything else in the thread about using the TiVos to bridge.
I can confirm that the Premier 4 bridges Moca-to-Ethernet quite well. I've attached the Premier 4 to a Airport Extreme wireless router and both attached my PS3 and WDTVLiveHub to Ethernet along with turning on the wireless on the router and extending the range of my wireless network! Sweet
tdroz is offline   Reply With Quote