TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
dmarzo2

Xfinity, tivo, premiere, on demand, northern virginia insanity

I am at my wits end on getting xfinity video on demand to work on my two new tivo premieres. I feel like i am getting the runaround and i have wasted hours of time in the process. I installed my two premieres yesterday. Everything works with the exception of video on demand. When i tune to channel 1 or 199, i get the error message "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."

I have been boomeranged back and forth between tech support of the two companies....the latest is this

- tivo tech support says it wont work because i have a scientific atlanta digital card and that only motorola cards will work

- comcast tech support tells me that i have a one way card and that i need a two way card. They are mailing me two new two way cards and they are sending out an installer to get it configured

After some research, i have my doubts as to the comcast answer...posters in various forums have said that the two way thing is a red herring. I am going to see how it plays out though...i am hoping that the technician will have alternatives on he truck if these two way cards dont work....

Customers should not have to bridge the two tech offices to find the answer. Its crazy. I am not going to attack comcast...i may be in the minority but i really like their service esp some of the mobile apps they have rolled out...i do think it would be in tivo's best interest to work with comcast on a universal solution and set of answers

In the meantime, id appreciate any advice on whether i need to press for a different direction on this.

Thanks

Dave
dmarzo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
weaver

If you do have a Scientific Atlanta card, it won't work. On Demand doesn't work in any Comcast areas using Scientific Atlanta equipment.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
dmarzo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
If you do have a Scientific Atlanta card, it won't work. On Demand doesn't work in any Comcast areas using Scientific Atlanta equipment.
Thanks....i do have an SA card. So, is the trick really having a motorola card vice the two way card?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
weaver

Scientific Atlanta and Motorola cards are not interchangeable. If you are in a Scientific Atlanta area, you can't use a Motorola card.

So, for now, the trick is not living in a area that uses Scientific Atlanta equipment. Hopefully, some day TiVo will have On Demand working in Scientific Atlanta areas.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
dmarzo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Scientific Atlanta and Motorola cards are not interchangeable. If you are in a Scientific Atlanta area, you can't use a Motorola card.

So, for now, the trick is not living in a area that uses Scientific Atlanta equipment. Hopefully, some day TiVo will have On Demand working in Scientific Atlanta areas.

Argh. Why cant Xfinity know this when I call them? I feel like I am being put thru the ringer. TIVO not the biggest help either
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
phlayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarzo2 View Post
Argh. Why cant Xfinity know this when I call them? I feel like I am being put thru the ringer. TIVO not the biggest help either

Mostly because it takes almost an act of god to find information on tivos through Comcast. Our techs rarely know how to do more that plug in the card and most of them have to call someone else for help to activate them. The call center barely knows what cable cards are.

On Demand is available in most Scientific Atlanta areas. The trick is to have a CISCO box. Cisco bought out SA, and while the newer Cisco boxes aren't as good as the Motorola boxes (no anyroom dvr, and the apps don't control them, for example), they do have access to On Demand. If you still have an SA box, my suggestion would be to go to your local office and get a new one.

Two-way cards do exist. Much like Multi-Stream cards, they are new(er) technology, and cable companies like to take their time integrating something that will enable outside companies to make money using their products. That being said, most of Comcast's M cards are two-way.

Our tech support just doesn't know how it works. As to the difference between SA/Cisco cards and Motorola cards, that I'm less familiar with, as I haven't used anything but a motorola card in years.

Xfinity On Demand through TiVo is new to Virginia, and hasn't rolled out to RVA yet, so I haven't been able to troubleshoot my own just yet. I can update this post as soon as I'm able to play with the system, if that helps anyone?

Hopefully this helps someone out.
phlayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

There's no such thing as a two-way M card.

No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
clintiv

We have it in DC, so it's must be in NoVa soon.

We have it in DC, so it's must be in NoVa soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarzo2 View Post
I am at my wits end on getting xfinity video on demand to work on my two new tivo premieres. I feel like i am getting the runaround and i have wasted hours of time in the process. I installed my two premieres yesterday. Everything works with the exception of video on demand. When i tune to channel 1 or 199, i get the error message "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again."

I have been boomeranged back and forth between tech support of the two companies....the latest is this

- tivo tech support says it wont work because i have a scientific atlanta digital card and that only motorola cards will work

- comcast tech support tells me that i have a one way card and that i need a two way card. They are mailing me two new two way cards and they are sending out an installer to get it configured

After some research, i have my doubts as to the comcast answer...posters in various forums have said that the two way thing is a red herring. I am going to see how it plays out though...i am hoping that the technician will have alternatives on he truck if these two way cards dont work....

Customers should not have to bridge the two tech offices to find the answer. Its crazy. I am not going to attack comcast...i may be in the minority but i really like their service esp some of the mobile apps they have rolled out...i do think it would be in tivo's best interest to work with comcast on a universal solution and set of answers

In the meantime, id appreciate any advice on whether i need to press for a different direction on this.

Thanks

Dave

clintiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
grey ghost

I thought the Xfinity on Demand was actually an app on the Tivo like Netflix, not the actual channels that you were using with an SA/Cisco box. I don't have a Tivo yet, but I do have SA unfortunately. No doubt the SA Comcast subscribers are getting the short end of the stick.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Not only is there no such thing as a two-way CableCARD, the Comcast/Premiere OD doesn't use two-way cable. While the data is still delivered through the cable, it is controlled via ip backchannel.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote