TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Linguist

Help programming Harmony 880 for Toshiba SD-H400?

I know, old hardware all around, but please, can anyone help here?

When I tell the Harmony software that I have a Toshiba SD-H400, it sets it as a "Media Center PC." Then, when I want to program a "watch TV" function, it tells me "you don't have any devices that can change channels."

Does anyone know a workaround for this? Is there another device I should be telling the remote I have instead of the SD-H400?

Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
telemark

Not a fun answer, but there is learn function, you could learn the whole set.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 AM   #3
JBDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist View Post
I know, old hardware all around, but please, can anyone help here?

When I tell the Harmony software that I have a Toshiba SD-H400, it sets it as a "Media Center PC." Then, when I want to program a "watch TV" function, it tells me "you don't have any devices that can change channels."

Does anyone know a workaround for this? Is there another device I should be telling the remote I have instead of the SD-H400?
I wish I could help you, but trying to do something like this remotely is a pain. There are ways, or round about ways of doing things. I would suggest going into the logitech harmony forums and ask for help there.

Sure you can go the hard way and try learning the codes on the original remote, but a lot of times you don't get the codes your remote doesn't use to do special things. The software could be showing you the wrong device also. It takes a while to figure out how to do things better with the software and that only comes in time of using it. I've been using Harmony Remotes for a number of years. I started with a Harmony 360 I got when I got my Xbox 360 when it first came out. One of the buttons on it I used all the time started failing. Then I got a Harmony 1000, and later 1100. I now own 3 Harmony 900's I think they are the BEST Harmony remotes ever made!!!

It has the perfect layout of buttons and the screen which is color and a Charging cradle. It comes with a RF to IR Module so you don't need to use line of site with the remote. I can be on the other room and change the volume. Unlike the 1000 and the 1000 Module, I don't have to unplug this one to change the programming on my remotes. That always sucked in the past having to do that. I stick Mini IR blasers on all my hardware. I just got the Tivo stuff and will be doing the same thing. The Roamio and Tivo Mini's all for with IR and RF with the remotes. In fact I can control my Roamio OTA using the Tivo Remote in RF and at the same time use the Harmony 900 Remote in IR. Since I don't have a IR on my Tivo hardware yet, I have to do line of site using the harmony remotes.

The Module it's self it a big IR blaster, but it has 2 3/32 Mini plug ports for blasters and so I have to use adapters to go from 3/32 to the normal 1/8" standard that Mini IR blasters use, and even then it's not enough and so use 1/8" Splitters to turn 2 ports into 4 ports and then use a cable that could have 1,2, or 3 Mini Blasters on it. So I have them on my TV and every other device. my Surround sound Receiver like mini has a IR 1/8" plug port on the back and so I can plug in directly. I wish more hardware did that!!!

It works great. old my Harmony remote any way I like. you can hide things. It works great for a Tivo Roamio. I even have a Green Thumb up and Red Thumb down button on the screen. It generally takes a few tries to get a device to work the way I want. Fine tune things to make it even better. Then test it all, and fine tune it down even better. Anyone can pick up my remote and simple be able to handle my complicated setups!!! That's how it should be. All done with a single button press. Turn what you want on and have it all work and a single button to turn whatever is on off. No more piles of remotes!!!!!

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

You could always dump the Toshiba since it's outdated technology and get something more current with HD capability. Anything that only records and displays standard definition video is essentially worthless by today's standards.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

TC CLUB MEMBER
Set up a Toshiba dvd, it will get most of the transport commands, than teach the TiVo commands.

Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
JBDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
You could always dump the Toshiba since it's outdated technology and get something more current with HD capability. Anything that only records and displays standard definition video is essentially worthless by today's standards.
I didn't want to be the one that said that, but it is so true!!! I still have my Old Series 1 Philips Tivo I get in 1999. It's almost worthless other the like lifetime service I should be able to transfer from it as it's before 2000. It it's a single tuner and Analog SD only. So I really couldn't use it these days as everything is digital. SD/HD doesn't matter. The Toshiba SD-H400 were kind of cool units back in their time.

JBDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Putteringalong

I am sooooo happy to hear that Harmony Remotes play well with TiVo products. I have two hub-based remotes and am switching from DISH to Comcast in the near future. Harmony says they are compatible on their website, but hearing from a real user is comforting!

I think of my Harmony remote in Lord of the Rings context: One button to control them all!!

Putteringalong is offline   Reply With Quote