TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
timp

Menu is fuzzy after plugging into Marantz SR5009 reciever

I have a problem with my on-screen Guide menu on my Roamio Pro.

The on-screen Guide menu looks terrible. The font is readable, but it's 'fuzzy', in a way. Like there's a loss of resolution or something. This is a new problem.

The picture is the same (as far as I can tell), so I'm living with it. The TV, btw, is a Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma.

I bought a new receiver, a Marantz SR5009. Instead of plugging my TiVo directly into the TV, I obviously was now plugging it into the pass-through HDMI port, with an HDMI out from the receiver to the TV.

The length of the HDMI cords should be noted. I have a 15' from the TiVo to the receiver, and a 25' from the receiver to the TV. Previously the TiVo went straight to the TV on a 25' cable. Not sure if this is an issue.

Any thoughts appreciated!
timp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Only the guide looks bad? Tivo central and the other screens look clean?

That receiver doesn't just pass through video, it can upscale, transcode etc. It also has video calibration settings. Make sure that it isnt doing something you don't want it to be doing to the signal, such as down-converting it to a lower resolution or running some kind of processing on it.

Did you change to a different input on your tv when you re-configured things? Picture settings on most sets are per-input.

I see that that the receiver is all HDMI 2.0. There is possibly compatibility issues. I'd bet that fewer than 1% of Tivo users have attached it to equipment supporting that standard.

Double-check everything. Video settings on the tivo, tv and receiver. Check what resolution your tivo is outputting and see what the tv is seeing for the incoming signal. Plug something in where the Tivo is using the same cables... say a blu-ray player and see what it looks like. Take the receiver back out of the loop. Try different cables, even though since its digital it shouldn't be the problem.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Frans

Perhaps a screen shot will help clarify whether this is only with the menus or elsewhere. Maybe the Marantz is outputting at SD?
Frans is offline   Reply With Quote