TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
maytonh

Tivo Premiere Video Quality

I have both a Tivo Premiere and a Verizon FiOS DVR connected to the same Panasonic Flat Screen TV, both via HDMI. The video quality from the Tivo has always been significantly inferior to the video from the FiOS DVR. On the Tivo, the colors are washed out, the images don't seem as sharp, the screen seems somewhat dimmer. I have looked at the settings on the Tivo and the TV, but have been unable to improve the Tivo video quality. Anyone have any suggestions of things I can try? (Hopefully you will all refrain from making fun of me for having the FiOS DVR).

Thanks

Harold
maytonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I have my Tivo Roamio set at 1080p but my Series 3 only at 720p, highest is 1080i. It seems better then the S3 to me. Both are connected on HDMI.

You will not get better quality connected to component, or analog video, S-Video.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-09-2014 at 10:09 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
JWhites

I've actually seen the opposite with my FiOS customers, where the TiVo Premiere/Roamio had better picture quality then even the newest FiOS DVR. There's been some say from CNET that not all HDMI inputs on the same TV have the same image quality. Have you tried swapping the components to the others TV input? Has the television been properly calibrated using a setup BluRay disc or a professional? I'm not accusing, just asking, I only ask because calibration by eye can easily get skewed based on personal preference by what the viewer thinks the picture should look like and not what it's actually intended to look like, eg an intended dark scene being too bright or colors being overly saturated so it "pops" when the image is intended to be muted or moderate. I don't mean this to be a lecture and I apologize if that's how it came across.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Sorry, going to start off with some basic questions that some might find insulting:
What resolutions is the Premiere set to output? Is it only outputting 480I? Is the premiere set to use the HD menus? Are you tuning to/recording the HD version of channels?

Video settings on your TV are per-input. Swap the boxes on the inputs and does the video quality difference follow the boxes? If not, then you need to adjust the tv's settings.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
JWhites

Has the cablecard been updated to the latest firmware version? What's the signal strength on the coax leading up to the TiVo compared to the FiOS DVR? Try switching the coax cable going to the FiOS DVR for the coax going to the TiVo and the coax going to the TiVo for the coax going to the FiOS DVR. Low or poor signal quality can cause image deterioration.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
maytonh

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I neglected to mention the Tivo is connected to antenna and the FiOS DVR (obviously) connected to FiOS. The Tivo is set to output at 720p. I am using HD menus and tuning to HD channels. I have not calibrated the TV and I have not swapped the HDMI inputs. I will try that soon. I don't consider any of the replies a lecture or insulting, I appreciate all the advice. Sometimes you overlook the most obvious thing until someone points it out.

Harold
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
JWhites

Oh. Then yes the FiOS DVR would have a better picture for recorded content. Have you thought about using the TiVo for both?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
maytonh

The picture quality on live TV and playback of recorded is the same on the Tivo-inferior to the FiOS DVR.
I have considered getting rid of the FiOS DVR, getting a cable card and using only the Tivo. You lose the on demand programming though and my family is a heavy user of that FiOS feature.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
JWhites

Oh darn, if the on demand is important I guess your stuck. shame because really the TiVo isn't inferior, it's probably because of the OTA signal being yucky.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
maytonh

I am going to connect the Tivo to FiOS soon, they don't encrypt the local stations so i can at least see the picture quality there. I agree Tivo is better, I still have three series 2s sitting here, we had one on every TV back in the day of analog.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
JWhites

How did you make out?