TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Ruth
Now with toddler

search not finding programs

Every once in a while, a program that I KNOW exists isn't found in search. For example, I wanted to record the presidential debate, so I searched for it, and "Presidential Debate" came up as a program option. But when I chose it, it said there are no programs available to record. Huh? Obviously there are. I was able to set up a manual recording (called "Presidential Debate" and available on numerous channels). But even then, when I went back to the search results under "Presidential Debate," it said no programs are available to record. (At the same time, it showed a check mark and said my program will record, which makes no sense.)

What is going on? Obviously the program is in my guide data since it came up while browsing time/channel. Why doesn't it come up in search?

This has happened, occiasionally, with other programs. Not just special news events, either -- there was some network show I had to do a manual recording for when it didn't show up in search.

Last edited by Ruth : 10-03-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Ruth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Ruth
Now with toddler

I am still having this problem (again I noticed it with tonight's "Presidential Debate").

Does anyone have any insight? I am worried there are other programs I am missing. Any ideas appreciated.
Ruth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Your not alone. I did a search for the new Reba show "Malibu Country" seeing that it starts on 11-2 and and my guide data goes to 11-6 and it didn't show up. Did a guide search and it's there.

Another quirk, Did a search for "Last Man Standing" ( its on before M.C.) it shows up in search, but when I try to do a season pass it says Not in schedule.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
wmhjr

I agree. I have seen similar issues recently - I'd say over the past month. I'd never noticed them before. However recently there were shows which search just would not under any circumstances find them - even though they were in the guide. Very odd - and disturbing.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

I didn't *think* this affected me, but I guess it's like "if you're not here, raise your hand". No way to tell what's missing until you know it's missing.

Doing a search for FRASIER just now, nothing comes up. WTF I ask myself, surely there are a gazillion Frasiers being shown on syndication. Created a quick WL, and it found... a gazillion of them.

Here are two pics, showing no results in Search, and lots of results under the WL. There was no update going on, the last update/call-in was 8am this morning, no indexing in progress, yada yada. IOW, it is a perfectly functioning Elite.

I use Search a lot, and count on it. Very disconcerting to realize I can't count on it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg f-1.jpg (38.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg f-2.jpg (47.0 KB, 144 views)
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
moyekj

[shrug] Works for me. Typing in "Fr" Frasier shows up as 2nd in list right after Fringe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Doing a search for FRASIER just now, nothing comes up. WTF I ask myself, surely there are a gazillion Frasiers being shown on syndication. Created a quick WL, and it found... a gazillion of them.

Here are two pics, showing no results in Search, and lots of results under the WL. There was no update going on, the last update/call-in was 8am this morning, no indexing in progress, yada yada. IOW, it is a perfectly functioning Elite.
Spell out Frasier completely and see if anything moves up in the list of results. TiVo's idea of what are the best hits can seem odd. OTOH, my Premiere couldn't find Saturday Night Live a while back, but it was there if I brought up the guide.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Seems TiVo is having multiple issues with bad or missing data -- this now coupled with the missing season and episode numbers...and both fairly recent developments.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Teeps

I've experienced the same problem when searching supercross or lites; searched separately.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
mr_smits

Same here. I rarely use search, but when this happens it is annoying. Tivo: fix search results!
mr_smits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
[shrug] Works for me. Typing in "Fr" Frasier shows up as 2nd in list right after Fringe.
AFTER Fringe? frA comes after frI?

Maybe my problem is I expected the results to be American English alpha-sorted. Perhaps I should change my expectations.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
AFTER Fringe? frA comes after frI?

Maybe my problem is I expected the results to be American English alpha-sorted. Perhaps I should change my expectations.
Default sort order is by popularity.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Which is just stupid, IMO. Can that be changed? I haven't had my S4 for very long...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Which is just stupid, IMO. Can that be changed? I haven't had my S4 for very long...
Yes, note the presence of those stupid A, B, C buttons on the screen where you can change various options and add filters etc. Half the time I'm using a remote that doesn't even have those buttons so I mostly ignore them too.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yes, note the presence of those stupid A, B, C buttons on the screen where you can change various options and add filters etc. Half the time I'm using a remote that doesn't even have those buttons so I mostly ignore them too.
Exactly. I use a Harmony One, and I added those colored buttons to the touch screen. But they're a pain in the a$$ to access and use...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I think this may be a difference between the HDUI and the SDUI. Search always comes up alpha in the SDUI. Maybe HDUI ranks differently?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
tivosupport_kaitlyn

TiVo Customer's,

We would like to obtain some more informaiton from those of you experiencing this issue so we can further investigate.

1.) Make and Model of your router.
2.) What type of network connection you are using, wired or wireless.
3.) Is Search not finding programs in both the HDUI and the SDUI?
4.) Does rebooting the TiVo box resolve the issue at all? Even if temporarily?

Also, if you could send me a Private Message with your TiVo Service Number and the above information, it would assist us in filing a ticket for each of you. We do appreciate your patience and understanding while we work to investigate this issue.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn
tivosupport_kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_kaitlyn View Post
Linksys WRT610N
Quote:
Either net (XL4) and wireless bridge (S3-OLED) LINKSYS WES610N
Quote:
3.) Is Search not finding programs in both the HDUI and the SDUI?
Could not find on either TiVo XL4 HDUI; S3 SDUI.
Quote:
4.) Does rebooting the TiVo box resolve the issue at all? Even if temporarily?
I did not pursue the issue after finding the program manually with channel guide.

Quote:
Also, if you could send me a Private Message with your TiVo Service Number and the above information, it would assist us in filing a ticket for each of you. We do appreciate your patience and understanding while we work to investigate this issue.
Thank you,
Kaitlyn
I am not comfortable giving that information via pm. I would prefer you provide an internal route for this information to be transfered.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Linksys WRT610N

Either net (XL4) and wireless bridge (S3-OLED) LINKSYS WES610N

Could not find on either TiVo XL4 HDUI; S3 SDUI.

I did not pursue the issue after finding the program manually with channel guide.

I am not comfortable giving that information via pm. I would prefer you provide an internal route for this information to be transfered.
Did you try SDUI on the XL4?

Also, I've never had an issue sending a PM with that information...
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
astrohip
Stuart F

I'll send it to you on Monday, I'm away from home right now. But just out of curiosity, how do these two items play into a TiVo Search issue? Isn't Search working with the internal indexed DB?

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Teeps

Quote:
Did you try SDUI on the XL4?
No.

Quote:
Also, I've never had an issue sending a PM with that information...
I'm happy to hear that; but it does not change my position.
The company that I worked; all communication had to go through the company email system.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Teeps

Lesson learned using search; use more letters to spell out the title...

Using the search function, I entered the letters "su" and right away a list populated to the right with "survivor" at the top of the list.
I selected survivor and the search function asked if I wanted to make a wish list.
Knowing the program will start 13Feb13, I did a manual search by channel day/time. Survivor: Caramoan-Fans vs. Favorites is found.

The discovery:
Going back to the search function and entering "sur" produced the full title: Survivor: Caramoan-Fans vs. Favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0207130822.jpg (111.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 0207130821.jpg (111.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
tivosupport_kaitlyn

teeps, I understand your hesitation in sending out your TiVo Service Number. Security is very important. However, in order to further investigate this issue I need to supply specific examples for our engineers. If you could please call TiVo Customer Support and have them create an incident for you it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn
tivosupport_kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
Teeps

Quote:
teeps, I understand your hesitation in sending out your TiVo Service Number. Security is very important. However, in order to further investigate this issue I need to supply specific examples for our engineers. If you could please call TiVo Customer Support and have them create an incident for you it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn
Done and done.
I called the other day and asked for you or Jessica. Because neither of you were available. The TiVo agent on the call created a trouble ticket. And took my information.
If you like I can pm the reference number.