TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
jilter
Happy to be here.

New router Series 2 will not communicate

With a new Asus router (dual band), my Series 2 will not talk to the router - I get a communication error on the Tivo. Call to Asus was no help, they say to call Tivo. The router is downward compatible, and I know this because it is talking to every device in the house. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

What brand/model network adapter are you using with the TiVo? When you look in the "Phone & Network" screen (or whatever they called it back in the day ) is it getting an IP address on your LAN? If so, can you ping that address from a computer in the house?
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Did you set up a static IP for your S2? Sometimes that works when DHCP doesn't.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
With a new Asus router (dual band), my Series 2 will not talk to the router - I get a communication error on the Tivo. Call to Asus was no help, they say to call Tivo. The router is downward compatible, and I know this because it is talking to every device in the house. Any ideas?
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

If so, what was the problem and what did you do to fix it?
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Did you set up a static IP for your S2? Sometimes that works when DHCP doesn't.
This is what I'm guessing. Your new router may have used a different IP address (i.e., default gateway) than your old one (192.168.1.1 vs. 192.168.0.1 or vice versa), resulting in completely different IP addresses being assigned via HDCP. Any device that was set up with a static IP with the old router will no longer be recognized by the new router. Go into your network settings and change from a static IP to DHCP and reboot the Tivo. The Tivo will be assigned a new IP address by the router that your PC can recognize. You can then go into your Tivo's network settings and reassign a new static IP address based on the new default gateway (i.e., your router's IP address).

Edit: I just realized you have a series 2 Tivo and probably don't have the ability top configure a static IP via the network settings menu. If you do have a static IP then you probably hacked the unit to set it up. You'll have to change the static IP address to match the router's default gateway setting using whatever method you used to hack it in the first place. I haven't hacked a Tivo in years so I don't recall the file that needs to be modified, although I suspect it's the rc.sysinit file.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 02-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote