TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Nada

Series 2 Simultaneous Dual Recording & Playback

Hello,

This should be somewhere but I can only find the description "view one channel and simultaneously record another" even on a dual-tuner.

Can the Series 2 single-tuner record two inputs (cable/antenna & audio/video/s-video) while simultaneously playing back previously recorded shows (three tasks at once)?
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

no
DUAL tuner units can record 2 sources and let you view a recording
SINGLE tuner units are just that, 1 recording channel and then you can watch pre-recorded

They may have copied and pasted a line in error on a description.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Nada

Thank you for the info and quick reply!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Series 2 are analog tuners only and the dual tuner model is that as well. With the movement of analog cable channels to digital, it requires the use of a cable box to record from the Video/Audio inputs. You may be able to receive over the coax what remains on the analog channels, but when those go digital, there is nothing else to record from the coax.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
Hello,

This should be somewhere but I can only find the description "view one channel and simultaneously record another" even on a dual-tuner.

Can the Series 2 single-tuner record two inputs (cable/antenna & audio/video/s-video) while simultaneously playing back previously recorded shows (three tasks at once)?
Since the analog broadcasts which Series 2s could pick up pretty much don't exist anymore, the following assumes that one has analog cable.

A Series 2 TiVo can record at any given time as many shows as it has tuners, and it can also be copying a show over your home network from another one of your TiVos or from a computer to which you've already copied that show from a TiVo.

While that's going on, you can be watching the playback of a show which that TiVo has already recorded.

If you have a satellite receiver or some other source like a cable box connected to the TiVo's line level inputs, and you wish to record a show from that source, it'll count as one of your tuners while you're recording.

So if you have a single tuner S2, you can't record over the tuner with analog cable coming in, and from the line level inputs with a signal from a satellite receiver coming in, all at the same time.

The circuitry that takes that line level input, or the tuner's output, and converts it into the digital stream that gets recorded to the hard drive can only handle one of them at a time.

If you have analog cable, then the S2 dual tuner units can record 2 shows at once, one on each tuner, while you watch playback of a third show, and can do it while copying a show over the network as well, and perhaps even while providing a copy over the network to another TiVo or a computer, although I've never actually tried putting that much of a workload on one at a time.

The thing about the dual tuner units, though, is that they only have one cable input for the two tuners to share, so when the cable company discontinues analog signals and makes you use some kind of box or adapter to feed your TiVo, you effectively lose the use of one of the tuners.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Series 2 are analog tuners only and the dual tuner model is that as well. With the movement of analog cable channels to digital, it requires the use of a cable box to record from the Video/Audio inputs.
Thanks. I'm going to use the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
it can also be copying a show over your home network from another one of your TiVos or from a computer to which you've already copied that show from a TiVo.
That's something I've never tried. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Series 2 are analog tuners only and the dual tuner model is that as well. With the movement of analog cable channels to digital, it requires the use of a cable box to record from the Video/Audio inputs. You may be able to receive over the coax what remains on the analog channels, but when those go digital, there is nothing else to record from the coax.
Unless you have some sort of broadcast convertor or cable box that puts out a channel 3 or 4 analog RF signal.

Getting an accurate lineup and TiVo control over the channel changing under that scenario will be a separate question.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote