TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Bones or Castle? Life after The Mentalist

My teenage daughter and I find ourselves very sad to be at the end of available Netflix DVDs of The Mentalist. We watch about 20 minutes a day, so t's been a part of our daily viewing for a while....

Bones and Castle seem to be similar. Thoughts on which we should try - or other suggestions? DD occasionally gets nightmares fom The Mentalist so unfortunately nothing more intense (I love, say Dexter or Sopranos but that's not gonna work. ).

tta
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I vote Castle.

Both are good shows but if there are nightmares involved then Bones can be sometimes a bit free with decaying skin and bones and body parts. Castle is lots of fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Castle will be especially fun because of the family interaction with Castle, his daughter, and his mom.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Castle is IMO a much more enjoyable series.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

+Castle
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
unitron

Bones and Castle really aren't that much alike.

But Bones isn't all that much like the books, either.

And, so far, Castle hasn't pulled a big retcon the way Bones did.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I vote Castle.
Bones is more visual with the gore of dead bodies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Give up on Bones after season 4. Trust me.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
... - or other suggestions?

DD occasionally gets nightmares fom The Mentalist .

Monk
Psych
Elementary

all fun, all good, and I think all more similar to The Mentalist than Bones is

Psych is the only one that has a little romance occasionally going on

neither Monk nor Psych are as gruesome, gory as Bones is (and Bones can be very messy -- decaying bodies wrapped in plastic bags and then the bags cut open and the liquified contents gushing out)

Elementary not very gory but is still in the middle of the first season

Psych and Monk very often mix comedy in with the detective work (Psych's running joke of him making fun of another detective's skepticism and his hard-nose straight by the book style -- Monk's comedy comes from his idiosyncrasies -- fear of germs, heights, small spaces, abandonment, round things, milk)
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Castle even though I watch both.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
dcheesi
...I'm not.

I've only watched Castle, but I think it's a great show.

Slightly OT, but having only watched an episode or two of The Mentalist: what is it in that show that produces nightmares? Looked pretty tame to me
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
Monk
Psych

Elementary

all fun, all good, and I think all more similar to The Mentalist than Bones is

Psych is the only one that has a little romance occasionally going on

neither Monk nor Psych are as gruesome, gory as Bones is (and Bones can be very messy -- decaying bodies wrapped in plastic bags and then the bags cut open and the liquified contents gushing out)

Elementary not very gory but is still in the middle of the first season

Psych and Monk very often mix comedy in with the detective work (Psych's running joke of him making fun of another detective's skepticism and his hard-nose straight by the book style -- Monk's comedy comes from his idiosyncrasies -- fear of germs, heights, small spaces, abandonment, round things, milk)
I would vote Psych then Monk. Especially because the Mentalist seems like it copied a major plot point from Psych which they've made a few jokes about on the show.

Also, both of those are on Netflix Watch Instant.

Last edited by Test : 02-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
SnakeVargas

I would say Castle. It still cracks me up to see the guy wandering around crimes scenes with WRITER written on his vest.

Also check out Burn Notice and Leverage if you havent yet. I was sad to see Leverage canceled.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
robojerk

Bones went to crap after season 3 (writers strike a few years ago) I dropped it in season 4.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
mlippert

Castle is a good choice. I might also suggest NCIS (and NCIS is in season 10, so if you like it, there's a lot to catch up on available on DVD). It does occasionally get intense, but I think in a similar ratio to the mentalist.

And for NCIS, like the mentalist, it's the camaraderie of the team which makes the show.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

Castle.

Unlike Bones, Castle doesn't see the need to destroy the characters.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Castle.

Unlike Bones, Castle doesn't see the need to destroy the characters.
I recommend watching Castle in original order because of the character development.

And definitely watch Bones in order to avoid severe confusion considering where some of the characters go.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Castle it is!! Although I should consider Psych - she will think that they are cute. Monk is another good option. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hard to explain the nightmares. She doesn't have a ton of them, but every so often after an intense episode. It's not the gore, at all - but the fact that characters (ok, mainly Patrick) she's grown to like could be the target of someone who is trying to kill them and that there are really people like some of the villains out in the world. She can watch Saw or any of those icky horror movies without nightmares, but something like Dexter where the guy is posing as a "normal" person would be incredibly unsettling to her. Besides, i want to have something a little more on the light-hearted side if we're watching it every day.

Thanks again everyone!
tta
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Ozzie72

Another vote for Castle, and another affirmation to stop after S3 if you watch Bones. I don't know how they scored enough acid for the whole writing staff, but those guys have been off the rails ever since.

I think the chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic is great, and it doesn't hurt that the writers acknowledge Nathan's Firefly past at least once a season. :up;
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
SNJpage1

I agree, you should watch Castle and start with the first showing. However, I would also suggest watching Firefly first if you can get it. I didnt see Firefly until this year and I realise now that there are a lot of things on Castle that are a throw back to Firefly that you will only enjoy if you see Firefly first. If you cant get it done worry the show is great anyways. I think you will enjoy the relationship btween Castle and his daughter.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I agree, you should watch Castle and start with the first showing. However, I would also suggest watching Firefly first if you can get it. I didnt see Firefly until this year and I realise now that there are a lot of things on Castle that are a throw back to Firefly that you will only enjoy if you see Firefly first. If you cant get it done worry the show is great anyways. I think you will enjoy the relationship btween Castle and his daughter.
One must never recommend Firefly without warning about the order in which the episodes should be watched, because that's not the order in which the idiots at Fox first aired them.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
Fixer
Fixin' it!!

It's interesting to see Firefly and Castle being talked about in the same thread. FYI, Gina Torres (Zoe from Firefly) guest stars on the next ep of Castle. Hoping to see some winks to Nathan and Gina's old gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
One must never recommend Firefly without warning about the order in which the episodes should be watched, because that's not the order in which the idiots at Fox first aired them.
When the Science Channel does a Firefly marathon, they usually show the eps in production order, not original broadcast order.

___

Last edited by Fixer : 02-11-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: consolidate post
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #23
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Firefly is available on Netflix, both DVD and streaming.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Good point. I guess I always thought they were in Netflix in the correct order now. I have seen them all so I just skip around to my favorites. Wait, they are all my favorites. I just skip around to my most favorites.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
It's interesting to see Firefly and Castle being talked about in the same thread.
You're joking right? It's hard to see people discuss Castle (except for specific episode) and not bring up Firefly.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict View Post
Hard to explain the nightmares. She doesn't have a ton of them, but every so often after an intense episode. It's not the gore, at all - but the fact that characters (ok, mainly Patrick) she's grown to like could be the target of someone who is trying to kill them and that there are really people like some of the villains out in the world.
Just FYI, a lot of TV shows pull out the 'one of the main characters is in danger' card eventually, so in the later seasons you will see this motif show up on Castle.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

In addition to Castle (which I heartily also vote for)
I'll recommend Leverage, a lot of seasons, a light touch, and a very stable cast that makes it easy to get to love them all.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
SNJpage1

There are a couple of shows on the Smithsonan channel, Aerial America, Mighty Ships and Mighty Planes that are interesting.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
mattack

I'd say both, though I "gave up on" Bones years ago.. it's one of the ones I intend to catch up on some eon.

20 minutes a day? Wow, even though there have been times when I've watched a feature length movie in 2 parts (not often), I don't *that* regularly watch a single episode of a show in multiple parts. The closest is when I'm walking on the treadmill, but even then I usually do something like a few sitcom episodes or 1 "hr" show (~4x minutes) + an ep of Jeopardy… Once in a while I will continue on another ep of an hour long show, but then finish it for sure the next day.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Just FYI, a lot of TV shows pull out the 'one of the main characters is in danger' card eventually, so in the later seasons you will see this motif show up on Castle.
Ha - so true. Just didn't want to go down the path of anything more intense than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
In addition to Castle (which I heartily also vote for)
I'll recommend Leverage, a lot of seasons, a light touch, and a very stable cast that makes it easy to get to love them all.
I didn't realize Leverage had a ton of seasons - I've only seen a few in the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
There are a couple of shows on the Smithsonan channel, Aerial America, Mighty Ships and Mighty Planes that are interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'd say both, though I "gave up on" Bones years ago.. it's one of the ones I intend to catch up on some eon.

20 minutes a day? Wow, even though there have been times when I've watched a feature length movie in 2 parts (not often), I don't *that* regularly watch a single episode of a show in multiple parts. The closest is when I'm walking on the treadmill, but even then I usually do something like a few sitcom episodes or 1 "hr" show (~4x minutes) + an ep of Jeopardy… Once in a while I will continue on another ep of an hour long show, but then finish it for sure the next day.
Drives me a little crazy, but that pretty much means an episode lasts 2 days given that most are about 40ish minutes without commercials. I would not be able to watch a movie across more than a day - even that is too much for me.

tta