TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
sieglinde

Losing network connection between two Tivos

I have a Series 2 and a HDTivo. I notice that I lose the connection to the Series 2 from the HDTivo. (I like to download shows from my Series 2 to watch them because I have a pretty bad setup in my house and have a hard time using the remote on the Series 2 from my chair.) I have noticed lately that my HDTivo does not "see" my Series 2 many times. I can reset it using tivo.com but I wonder why it doesn't stay. My Series 2 always sees my HDTivo.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
donsig

I have noticed the same thing on my HDTiVo. One or both of my series 2 TiVo's will disappear from the now playing list periodically. Restarting the HDTiVo brings them back for awhile (few hours or days), but eventually the problem recurs. Like you, my series 2 TiVo's always seem to see the other TiVo's on the network. Have not restarted the series 2's in ages. It seems the HDTiVo needs a restart on a semi-regular basis to solve the above problem.

I don't have solution, but wanted you to know you are not alone. I am curious that you said you reset it on tivo.com. How do you do that? I have always just used the onscreen prompts - 3 thumbs down and enter...

My TiVo's are all on a wireless network with TiVo brand wireless g adapters and an Apple Airport Extreme (802.11n) base station.

Jeff
donsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
teasip

I had the same issue last week with my Apple Airport Extreme and if you look in your Airport Utility while the TiVo HD fails to show the other TiVo in the NPL I suspect that you will find that the Utility does not show the Airport Extreme, though your internet may be up and fully functional. I'm not sure what the setup is that the OP is using. I have purchased a second ActionTec router to use as a wired access point in the bedroom where my second TiVo HD is located in exchange for my Airport Express just to see if it makes any difference (wired vs. wireless) but it hasn't arrived via the mail as of yet.

For those with Verizon FiOS, a second AT router is a better deal price wise than trying to locate a NIM.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
jmfirestone

I have this issue from time to time with my Series 2 and my TivoHD. I have my house wired for a network. The external wired adapter on my series 2 is pretty flimsy and every single week either my cat or the cleaning people knock the ethernet cable enough to kill the connection. All I need to do is wiggle it and it is good to go.

Just double check all your connections and make sure they are tight. You might even consider taping them together if they seem to come out all the time like mine do.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
dbenrosen

You don't have to restart the HD to fix this problem. Just reset the Network connection (Messages & Settings, etc.) and it will show up in the now playing list, albeit temporarily.

I have this problem between my HD and my S3. The S3 ALWAYS has the HD in the NPL, but the HD loses the S3 after a short time.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
dbenrosen

This problem had been fixed by one update, but seems to have cropped up again. Is anyone else still seeing this one?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
This problem had been fixed by one update, but seems to have cropped up again. Is anyone else still seeing this one?
I've been seeing it from time to time starting a week or two ago. I can see shared folders on my computer and access internet, but the Tivos periodically won't see each other on the now playing list. I have to go to network settings and retell it to automatically get its IP address before the other one shows up.

F
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
petew

I get the situation where I can see my Humax (S2) from the HD. But when I try to transfer a show the HD freezes. A reboot of the Humax is needed to fix the problem and of course the HD need a power cycle to unfreeze it. Very annoying but since I have the option to watch the Humax directly I've given up trying to use MRV.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
I've been seeing it from time to time starting a week or two ago. I can see shared folders on my computer and access internet, but the Tivos periodically won't see each other on the now playing list. I have to go to network settings and retell it to automatically get its IP address before the other one shows up.

F
That is how I fix it, but my wife forgets the steps and then doesn't bother to transfer the shows for her to watch until I happen to be in the room.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
fyodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
That is how I fix it, but my wife forgets the steps and then doesn't bother to transfer the shows for her to watch until I happen to be in the room.
Yeah, I end up just being complained to about it. Thankfully, it seems to have gone away-I haven't seen it the problem during the last week.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
stile99

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I get the situation where I can see my Humax (S2) from the HD. But when I try to transfer a show the HD freezes. A reboot of the Humax is needed to fix the problem and of course the HD need a power cycle to unfreeze it. Very annoying but since I have the option to watch the Humax directly I've given up trying to use MRV.
Ok, I came here to ask for help with this exact problem. Except it doesn't seem to exactly be a freeze.

I can browse the Humax from the HDXL. I can transfer SOME programs. Others, the HDXL will "lock up" when I select the show. Not when I start the transfer, when I select the show. Except it isn't locked up. The background animation continues, but there is no response to the remote at all (the light does flash to show it got the signal though). But if the HDXL is recording, it will continue recording. If it is already transferring something else, it will continue transferring. It SEEMS if we leave the HDXL alone, it will reboot itself at some point, we've noth completely tested this yet. But it gets weirder.

While the HDXL is off in la la land, I can go to the Humax and browse the contents of the HDXL. Haven't tried transferring anything from the HDXL to the Humax while in this state though.

I would really be interested to find if anyone has a solution to this. Or at the very least, a way to predict what programs are going to cause this.
stile99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
dbenrosen

This problem is back, but it is worse.

My HD is connected to the network, as I can connect to the TiVo service, my guide data is all up to date, etc., and the connection is successful. I verified I am connected to my network, not my neighbors.

But, not I cannot see the TiVo HD anywhere else on my network, either from my S3, iTiVo on my Mac or TiVo Desktop on my PC. I even rebooted the HD but that didn't work. Any suggestions or ideas on troubleshooting this problem?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
RoyK

It just happened to me also. I have three S2s and one TivoHD.

My network is wired.

All 3 of the S2s disappeared from the HD's NPL. The Netflix icon was also missing!

None of the S2s could see the HD but they all could see each other just fine.

I reset (powered down and back up) all 4 boxes as well as my router. No help.

The HD could connect to TiVo central OK and the diagnostics showed no problems. I could successfully ping all the boxes including the HD from my PC.

I finally reset the network parameters on the HD (to what they were already set to -- fixed ip). A minute or so later everything showed up in the NPL as it should.

VERY frustrating! Not a fix my wife can handle when I'm not around!
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
dbenrosen

I tried to reset the network parameters first, which usually fixes the problem. I can ping the HD from my Mac (and PC), but it still doesn't show up anywhere and it cannot see the S3. In the past the problem was that the S3 (Mac, PC) could all see the HD but the HD couldn't see the others.

I didn't check the NetFlix icon, but I will when I go home.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
dday515

I continue to have this problem - in fact, I reset the network parameters so I could move a recording, went back to my NPL while the show was being transferred, and the other Tivo was missing from the list while the show was being transferred.

Its screwy, and I agree - not something that should happen as often as it does. In fact, my tivo's never show up in the lists...i always have to reset to initiate a transfer....

Anyone have any other suggestions or updates?
dday515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
dbenrosen

I still have it occasionally though it has been better of late. It was "fixed" for a while, where I went at least a month without seeing it, then it inexplicably came back.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #17
Resist

Today our new Tivo HD and older Series 3 would not connect to YouTube or Netflix. When I tried to troubleshoot and get them both to connect to the our wireless network they said the network adapter wasn't connected, which wasn't true. Good thing I have an XBox 360 that has never failed to connect to Netflix.

So what the heck is going on with Tivo lately?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Old thread but same problem. TiVo 1 dissappears from the NPL of TiVo 2 after a short time and I have to go into "settings" to get a new IP address.

It sounds like I'm just stuck with the problem. No real fix available? Has anyone tried entering a static IP or something along those lines?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
audiodane

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread (again), but is this issue seriously still real, or is my TivoHD just exhibiting this symptom as a sign of another problem?

I originally thought that my wireless G's connection wasn't reliable enough (it was about 40-45% on Tivo's signal quality scale), so I built myself a full-size windsurfer wireless router parabolic (directional) antenna add-on to a larger external antenna connected to my router. After all that fiddling, I got my signal from 45% all the way up to bouncing between 60-74%. Really pretty fantastic performance. It was actually enough to MRV an HD show in *just* faster than real time. (30 minutes transferred in about 25 minutes.)

Unfortunately, it *still* lost the oled S3 from its NPL menu. GRRRR...

So then last week I jumped on an opportunity to buy two MOCA ethernet-over-coax adapters with two diplexers, they arrived on Monday, hooked them up today after extensive testing (seeing 60Mbps over 30yr old home CATV wiring!).. Moved the TivoHD to the MOCA connection, HD transfers even faster now!

...but STILL looses track of the oled tivo in the NPL!! ARRGGHHH!!!

So, long story short-- is there NO solution to this problem??

I'm very tempted to downgrade this 2TB TivoHD to an S3OLED.. cablecards aren't an issue- we receive standard cable with the free OTA HD broadcast channels and we're good, so no cablecard mess anyway.

thanks in advance,
..dane

PS.- WHile our S3OLED can see the Knology 901-905 channels without cable cards (abc, cbs, nbc, ..), the S3 cannot. I don't know if it's a software thing or a hardware thing. My dad's got a TivoHD that can (he lives 2 miles away, same Tivo model, same cable provider). I don't know if it's because this Tivo may have previously had a cable-card (previous owner) and now it doesn't, or maybe because I've upgraded it to a 2TB HDD. *IF* I could transfer HD shows from the OLED tivo, I wouldn't be too concerned.. but now with that not even working always, the HD tuning deficiency is a bit more frustrating (once again).

Last edited by audiodane : 01-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I'm sorry to resurrect this thread (again), but is this issue seriously still real, or is my TivoHD just exhibiting this symptom as a sign of another problem?

I originally thought that my wireless G's connection wasn't reliable enough (it was about 40-45% on Tivo's signal quality scale), so I built myself a full-size windsurfer wireless router parabolic (directional) antenna add-on to a larger external antenna connected to my router. After all that fiddling, I got my signal from 45% all the way up to bouncing between 60-74%. Really pretty fantastic performance. It was actually enough to MRV an HD show in *just* faster than real time. (30 minutes transferred in about 25 minutes.)

Unfortunately, it *still* lost the oled S3 from its NPL menu. GRRRR...

So then last week I jumped on an opportunity to buy two MOCA ethernet-over-coax adapters with two diplexers, they arrived on Monday, hooked them up today after extensive testing (seeing 60Mbps over 30yr old home CATV wiring!).. Moved the TivoHD to the MOCA connection, HD transfers even faster now!

...but STILL looses track of the oled tivo in the NPL!! ARRGGHHH!!!

So, long story short-- is there NO solution to this problem??

I'm very tempted to downgrade this 2TB TivoHD to an S3OLED.. cablecards aren't an issue- we receive standard cable with the free OTA HD broadcast channels and we're good, so no cablecard mess anyway.

thanks in advance,
..dane

PS.- WHile our S3OLED can see the Knology 901-905 channels without cable cards (abc, cbs, nbc, ..), the S3 cannot. I don't know if it's a software thing or a hardware thing. My dad's got a TivoHD that can (he lives 2 miles away, same Tivo model, same cable provider). I don't know if it's because this Tivo may have previously had a cable-card (previous owner) and now it doesn't, or maybe because I've upgraded it to a 2TB HDD. *IF* I could transfer HD shows from the OLED tivo, I wouldn't be too concerned.. but now with that not even working always, the HD tuning deficiency is a bit more frustrating (once again).

Give everything (TiVos, PCs, whatever) on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address, and shrink your router's DHCP pool down to as many numbers as you need for the things that do travel and access other networks plus about another 1 to 5 numbers.

And when I say everything, that's regardless of whether it's wired or wireless or uses carrier pigeons.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Give everything (TiVos, PCs, whatever) on your home network that doesn't leave the house a fixed IP address, and shrink your router's DHCP pool down to as many numbers as you need for the things that do travel and access other networks plus about another 1 to 5 numbers.

And when I say everything, that's regardless of whether it's wired or wireless or uses carrier pigeons.
FWIW, I've tried ensuring all the Tivos have fixed IPs, and my IP pool is only large enough for the always/frequntly active devices, but the Tivos still randomly vanish from the NPL, forcing me to refresh the network connection to get them back. In my experience, changing to or from fixed IPs can seem to fix the problem in the short term, but they always end up disappearing eventually.

I guess it's not the biggest issue, since once I refresh the connection from the Settings menu the Tivos re-appear and then I can transfer shows just fine until one or more disappear again, but it would be nice to find a permanent fix for the issue.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
FWIW, I've tried ensuring all the Tivos have fixed IPs, and my IP pool is only large enough for the always/frequntly active devices, but the Tivos still randomly vanish from the NPL, forcing me to refresh the network connection to get them back. In my experience, changing to or from fixed IPs can seem to fix the problem in the short term, but they always end up disappearing eventually.

I guess it's not the biggest issue, since once I refresh the connection from the Settings menu the Tivos re-appear and then I can transfer shows just fine until one or more disappear again, but it would be nice to find a permanent fix for the issue.
And your router's firmware is up-to-date, right?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
And your router's firmware is up-to-date, right?
Yep.

Edit: I suppose I should add that the connection between the Tivos and the router is always stable. They all continually download daily updates and web videos just fine. It's just that they seem to lose track of each other on the NPL. My WAG is that it's got something to do with how and when the Tivos announce themselves to the other Tivos over the network.

Last edited by S3-2501 : 01-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
unitron

Perhaps regularly rebooting your router (say once a day) would be a stop gap fix until such time as you can figure out just what it is that's going on/wrong.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
S3-2501

I appreciate the suggestions, but given that people have been posting to this thread for well over three years now about this same issue and Tivo is no longer updating the series 3 software, I doubt there will ever be a permanent fix to the problem. I just added my experience here to further confirm that this problem still exists, just as others have posted here over the last few months. At least refreshing the network connection can be done easily enough to rediscover the missing Tivos when needed.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
dwgsp

I had this same problem, and fixed it by replacing my entry level Belkin router with a much better TP-LINK router. I determined that the Belkin router was the likely root cause of the problem by using my iPad to send a long stream of pings (one per second) to the router, and found that about once a minute the router would drop a string of six to eight pings. From a performance perspective, that's a really bad situation.

I concluded that the router was probably intermittently dropping the broadcast packets that each Tivo sends to announce it's presence on the network. That in turn would cause the Tivo's to stop "seeing" each other. Replacing the router solved the problem.

Last edited by dwgsp : 01-10-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo in the brand name of my new router.
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post
I had this same problem, and fixed it by replacing my entry level Belkin router with a much better TP-LINK router.
I'm glad that fixed the issue for you. Unfortunately, in my case I've already got a mid-range Linksys router that got top marks when it was initially available and still averages about four stars on its Amazon reviews. It's working really well for me in all the important ways, so replacing a working router that I'm very happy with just to potentially solve this relatively minor nuisance isn't in the cards right now. Thanks again for posting your solution though!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
unitron

Did audiodane morph into S3-2501?

Anyway, whichever one of you I'm talking to, if this works, I'll have no idea why, but go to TiVo.com, log onto your account to the manage your TiVos page, set all of them to not share with other stuff on the network, reboot everything on the network, wait a couple of days, reboot again, go back to TiVo.com, re-enable sharing on everything, re-boot everything, wait a couple of days and re-boot everything again.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did audiodane morph into S3-2501?
ha ha ha! No, sorry. I have been busy (at work and home)..

Update, two parts. Part one. We upgraded our internet (knology) and that fixed the Pandora skipping issues. yay!

Part two. I re-arranged the network.. It USED to look like this:

Code:
cable modem:
- wifi router (dlink dir-655)

wifi router:
- TV
- BDP
- Tivo S3OLED 1TB
- MOCA router #1

MOCA router #1:
- Coax to MOCA router #2

MOCA router #2:
- Coax to MOCA router #1
- Tivo HD 2TB
NOW, it looks like this:

Code:
cable modem:

wifi router:
- TV
- BDP
- MOCA router #1

MOCA router #1:
- Coax to MOCA router #2
- Tivo S3OLED 1TB

MOCA router #2:
- Coax to MOCA router #1
- Tivo HD 2TB
I *also* gave the two MOCA routers fixed IP's outside the DHCP range. The Tivo's still have DHCP addressing but they're reserved IP's within the router, so they always get the same IPs from the router. But now they do not have to go through the wifi router at all to communicate with each other. They still have to call the tivo mothership of course, and that happens just fine. But once everything is setup and a transfer is granted, they just have the two moca routers in between them and that's it.

Net result- I haven't had EITHER tivo drop off the other's NPL for the past month!

I'm pretty happy about it. At this point, the TivoHD is doing almost EVERYTHING I want it to do. Pandora (without skipping), MRV faster-than-real-time, Tivo's always in each other's NPL, pyTivo functionality working great on both Tivo's ...

The ONLY issue I am still lacking is that, somehow, when I re-ran guided setup on my S3OLED a couple years back, it automagically picked up the 901-905 free broadcast HD channels (cbs, nbc, abc, etc). No matter WHAT I try on my TivoHD in the bedroom, rerun guided setup, search for cable channels, etc, it just won't tune the 901-905 channels. Going into the system diagnostics, somehow the S3OLED knows the channel mapping of the 901-905 channels.. ?? The TivoHD, of course, is just cycling through possible QAM64, QAM128, etc attempts to tune something, and never knows what to do. Weird thing is, my dad has a TivoHD and back when I reran guided setup on my S3OLED, he did the same thing (within a week) with his TivoHD, and BAM, he can tune 901-905 on his TivoHD just like I can on my S3OLED. However, nothing I try on my TivoHD seems to work.

Of course I'm NOT going to rerun guided setup on my S3OLED.. I can't risk loosing that channel mapping. It's been working great for, what, two, three years?

Aside from that ONE issue, *all* my other issues have been completely RESOLVED! A fairly happy Tivo user once more. I was just given a Tivo S2DT to repair and free to sell, so I'll be working on that shortly. Might try to pickup an additional S3OLED and try copying it's HDD to a new one and see if channel mapping copies across.. If that's the case I'll sell the TivoHD. I've been told that will NOT work however.. ??

cheers,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
ha ha ha! No, sorry. I have been busy (at work and home)..

Update, two parts. Part one. We upgraded our internet (knology) and that fixed the Pandora skipping issues. yay!

Part two. I re-arranged the network.. It USED to look like this:

Code:
cable modem:

wifi router:
- TV
- BDP
- Tivo S3OLED 1TB
- MOCA router #1

MOCA router #1:
- Coax to MOCA router #2

MOCA router #2:
- Coax to MOCA router #1
- Tivo HD 2TB
NOW, it looks like this:

Code:
cable modem:

wifi router:
- TV
- BDP
- MOCA router #1

MOCA router #1:
- Coax to MOCA router #2
- Tivo S3OLED 1TB

MOCA router #2:
- Coax to MOCA router #1
- Tivo HD 2TB
I *also* gave the two MOCA routers fixed IP's outside the DHCP range. The Tivo's still have DHCP addressing but they're reserved IP's within the router, so they always get the same IPs from the router. But now they do not have to go through the wifi router at all to communicate with each other. They still have to call the tivo mothership of course, and that happens just fine. But once everything is setup and a transfer is granted, they just have the two moca routers in between them and that's it.

Net result- I haven't had EITHER tivo drop off the other's NPL for the past month!

I'm pretty happy about it. At this point, the TivoHD is doing almost EVERYTHING I want it to do. Pandora (without skipping), MRV faster-than-real-time, Tivo's always in each other's NPL, pyTivo functionality working great on both Tivo's ...

The ONLY issue I am still lacking is that, somehow, when I re-ran guided setup on my S3OLED a couple years back, it automagically picked up the 901-905 free broadcast HD channels (cbs, nbc, abc, etc). No matter WHAT I try on my TivoHD in the bedroom, rerun guided setup, search for cable channels, etc, it just won't tune the 901-905 channels. Going into the system diagnostics, somehow the S3OLED knows the channel mapping of the 901-905 channels.. ?? The TivoHD, of course, is just cycling through possible QAM64, QAM128, etc attempts to tune something, and never knows what to do. Weird thing is, my dad has a TivoHD and back when I reran guided setup on my S3OLED, he did the same thing (within a week) with his TivoHD, and BAM, he can tune 901-905 on his TivoHD just like I can on my S3OLED. However, nothing I try on my TivoHD seems to work.

Of course I'm NOT going to rerun guided setup on my S3OLED.. I can't risk loosing that channel mapping. It's been working great for, what, two, three years?

Aside from that ONE issue, *all* my other issues have been completely RESOLVED! A fairly happy Tivo user once more. I was just given a Tivo S2DT to repair and free to sell, so I'll be working on that shortly. Might try to pickup an additional S3OLED and try copying it's HDD to a new one and see if channel mapping copies across.. If that's the case I'll sell the TivoHD. I've been told that will NOT work however.. ??

cheers,
..dane
If that S2 DT isn't lifetimed, it's worth from $20 down to "pick it up off of the curb before garbage day".

Unless you find a buyer who doesn't know that.