TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is Fringe worth watching? (no spoilers, please)

We've never seen a single episode, and don't even really know what it's about, other than there's some sci-fi/paranormal thing to it (which we do like). I've got some episodes on my Windows Media Center, but we don't have all of either of the first 2 seasons, so I'd need to "obtain" them through some means (season 1 is going pretty cheap on Amazon at the moment).

Comparisons to other series and spoiler-free comments are welcome.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

In a lot of ways it's very much a relation to the early X-files.
They have made huge improvements each year being better then the last, Season 3 has already come out of the gate very strongly.

However there are huge character driven arcs, and I think you would miss a lot of the enjoyment of how the characters have grown emotionally and in depth by not starting at the beginning.

There are mythology episodes, character episodes, monster of the week episodes, and then just the occasionally wackiness like season 2's Noir episode.

Diane
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

In a word? Yes.

The characters are engaging, and the plots are pretty well thought out.
There's also a fair amount of humor.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
However there are huge character driven arcs, and I think you would miss a lot of the enjoyment of how the characters have grown emotionally and in depth by not starting at the beginning.
Oh, I should have specified: We'd start at the beginning if we were going to watch.

Brad
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
justen_m

This is one of the few shows I watch the same day it airs. The closest comparison I can think of would be to the X-Files. Fair number of "monster of the week" episodes, but there are deep, complex underlying arcs.

I think if you tried to start with the current season, you'd not only be totally confused, but you would miss out on quite a few of the... well, cool things.

John Noble's acting is superb, and adds both humor and poignancy to his character.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Brad you're cheating yourself if you don't watch. It's one of the best shows on right now.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
Emphatic yes! Best show on TV and some incredible individual performances. The two lead characters are played by very talented actors, and the guest stars (no spoilers) have been great.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
eddyj

Best thing on TV.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Yes, you should watch it. While I love the X-Files and LOST; I wasn't really impressed with Fringe at first. I only kept watching because my girlfriend liked it and I'd be in the room when it was on. At some point - I think 3/4 of the way through the first season - I realized it was getting really good and started paying closer attention. Definitely one of my favorite shows.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK, so maybe I should check it out.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Brad
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I generally love this type of tv show, but I would not recommend Fringe to anyone.
I gave up before the first season was over because I found myself reluctantly watching each episode rather than looking forward to them.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
OK, so maybe I should check it out.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Brad

Thanks for asking the question! I also have been wondering if this was a show we should check out. We love Syfy etc shows, so it seems like one we'd like. Maybe there'll be a catchup marathon sometime in the next few months. If so, Imma collect a bunch of them. Based on comments in the thread, I def want to start at the beginning!
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
wprager

In some ways I *almost* wish I didn't watch from the start, so I could watch full seasons on back-to-back nights over the course of 2-3 weeks. S1 started with a blast in the pilot but the main story arc did not really take off until later. Still, even without much of the "mythology" S1 was fun in a creepy way -- and, yes, much like The X-Files, there is quite a bit of humor. Better acting, and a bigger budget.

Scandia101, you gave up way, way too soon if you stopped mid-way through the first.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
spikedavis

It is incredibly good-one of the recent episodes "White Tulip" is a masterpiece-one of the best stories I've ever seen. But you'll have to watch from the beginning-and be patient, the show took about half a season to get it's footing. There's a storyline involving Mark Valley that kind of drags on a while until they finally just drop it entirely-for the better.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

Early X-Files with a healthy dose of Alias and a teensy pinch of Lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
It is incredibly good-one of the recent episodes "White Tulip" is a masterpiece-one of the best stories I've ever seen. But you'll have to watch from the beginning-and be patient, the show took about half a season to get it's footing. There's a storyline involving Mark Valley that kind of drags on a while until they finally just drop it entirely-for the better.
This is what I was going to say. In the beginning they seemed unsure of where they were going with it, and as a result the episodes didn't seem particularly focused (even though the MOTW aspect was enjoyable nevertheless).

They've been on a roll since last season though, it's a really good show now. As for comparisons to other shows, I think they could (maybe should) call it "X-Files: The next generation" without problems at all. They even alluded to cases as being "X class" or something like that IIRC.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
This is what I was going to say. In the beginning they seemed unsure of where they were going with it, and as a result the episodes didn't seem particularly focused (even though the MOTW aspect was enjoyable nevertheless).

They've been on a roll since last season though, it's a really good show now. As for comparisons to other shows, I think they could (maybe should) call it "X-Files: The next generation" without problems at all. They even alluded to cases as being "X class" or something like that IIRC.
Right-in a lot of ways, too I think it's had a stronger first 2 seasons than the X-Files did-the mythology is more focused and specific-whereas with the X-Files it was more ominious and shrouded in secrecy-even up until the end.

With Fringe, you know what the stakes are, the history is revealed fairly quickly-I'm thinking of the episode "Peter" in particular from Season 2. If this was LOST, that's an episode that they would have saved for the final season!
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
I avoided watching FRINGE because early on they'd used the word "paranormal" in describing what the show would be like. "Paranormal" has far too often meant "occult".

Since then I've gotten the impression that there's been no occult elements, and that they've stuck with pretty much pure scifi and intrigue.

Am I getting this right? Did I shortchange myself by not watching it from the start? Should I try to catch up?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
I avoided watching FRINGE because early on they'd used the word "paranormal" in describing what the show would be like. "Paranormal" has far too often meant "occult".

Since then I've gotten the impression that there's been no occult elements, and that they've stuck with pretty much pure scifi and intrigue.

Am I getting this right? Did I shortchange myself by not watching it from the start? Should I try to catch up?
What's wrong with the occult?

The show is worth watching. There's no occult stuff that I know of. Plus there's Anna Torv
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
MickeS

Quote:

They have done very little if anything about paranormal events and the occult (I can't think of anything). It's all about sci-fi, so yes if that is why you didn't watch, you have missed out.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
toddvj

If you don't have enough yes's already... Yes.
toddvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Angry

For me it started as as a light show I watched while doing my 45 min on my elliptical trainer. Like Eureka and warehouse 13. However, as season one continued and became more intense I need to make it sit down and watch show.

If you liked x files, lost, or even some lesser sci fi series like invasion, Suface, flashforward, V, you will like this show.

If you hate most of the other shows I mentioned stay away. I am a sucker for sci fi so I have no choice.

One thing, good very good acting which I always appreciate.

Last edited by Johnny Dancing : 09-26-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Tried to remove the red frown
Johnny Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
mrdazzo7

Quote:
It's not exactly "pure science" in the sense that the things shown are all possible, it's more sci-fi that's rooted in real science and the real world, which is my favorite kind (as opposed to full blown sci-fi like Battlestar or Stargate, etc).

Like Micke says, it has nothing to do with the occult or ghosts or anything like that, so paranormal might not be the best word to describe it
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
robojerk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal
Quote:
Paranormal is a general term (coined ca. 1915–1920) that designates experiences that lie outside "the range of normal experience or scientific explanation" or that indicates phenomena that are understood to be outside of science's current ability to explain or measure.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #25
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I know that's the official definition but I think when most people hear the world "paranormal" they associate it with ghosts/occult stuff as opposed to telekenisis, mind-reading, or whatever it is. Not everyone but I think that connotation is out there.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #26
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

No ghosts, magic, or supernatural stuff on the show... yet.

It wouldn't fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Well, the term "paranormal" often DOES get used in connection with the occult, ghosts, etc.

X-Files used the term either in ads or onscreen titles, and we know they didn't stick with scifi, but went into the occult too.

I avoid the occult like the plague, and it looks like X-Files has, indirectly, burned me again. Fringe ads used the "paranormal" term when it was starting up, so I didn't bite. Since then I've gotten the feeling it is pure scifi, and doesn't go the X-Files route.

Drat.

Gotta look for the DVDs now.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
It's not exactly "pure science" in the sense that the things shown are all possible, it's more sci-fi that's rooted in real science and the real world, which is my favorite kind (as opposed to full blown sci-fi like Battlestar or Stargate, etc)...
Well, in the post you replied to, I used the words "pure scifi" not "pure science".

As for what's rooted in the real world and what isn't, I'm sure we all visit parallel universes every day.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I watched the first few eps when the show first aired and it just didn't do it for me. I had very high expectations and wanted to like it, but it just seemed too...hokey. I've seen/heard people raving about it lately. Did it get better?
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #30
deandashl

yes
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote