TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
jeff92k7

How I Met Your Mother - P.S. I Love You - OAD 02/04/13

Summary: Filler

Nothing of importance in this episode. I don't think I even laughed once. Normally, I see posts about how awful recent episodes are and I think that they really aren't that bad. This one certainly was. The Barney storyline of going to Canada to interview boyfriends was way out of character. The stalker thing was ridiculous. The whole episode was abysmal, in my opinion.

Show us the mother already and lets get on with romancing her until the series finale. Stop with the filler episodes already.... sigh.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Funny I thought it was great. Loved all of the guest stars, especially Dave Coulier.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
crowfan
The Dude abides

Yeah I agree with the Forsaken , I thought it was great. All the guest appearances were excellent, especially Dave Coulier. I loved when he did the Full House joke ("cut. it. out.") and Saget commented on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post
All the guest appearances were excellent, especially Dave Coulier. I loved when he did the Full House joke ("cut. it. out.") and Saget commented on it.
I laughed more at that than anything else in the episode. Actually I just smiled.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
markymark_ctown

even the robin sparkles but fell flat. i mean robin daggers.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
CatScratchFever

Best EP in a long while.
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked it a lot, but I always love when they make fun of Canada. I loved the Tim Horton's references and the doughnut obsession

BTW, who is Dave Collier? I heard of everyone else but him.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
BTW, who is Dave Collier? I heard of everyone else but him.
He was the third male lead on Full House (along with Bob Saget [voice of future Ted Mosby] and John Stamos).

The reason the whole "It's not me. Why does everyone always think it's me?" joke is really funny is that the prevailing opinion is that Alanis Morissette's hit You Oughta Know was written about him (apparently he and Alanis had dated/banged/whatevered once upon a time).

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
busyba
The Funcooker

Is a clean* and full version of the Robin Daggers song available anywhere?

*By "clean" I don't mean "without naughty words", I mean a recording unblemished by audio from the episode.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
He was the third male lead on Full House (along with Bob Saget [voice of future Ted Mosby] and John Stamos).

The reason the whole "It's not me. Why does everyone always think it's me?" joke is really funny is that the prevailing opinion is that Alanis Morissette's hit You Oughta Know was written about him (apparently he and Alanis had dated/banged/whatevered once upon a time).
Thanks about Dave. I never watched Full House, so I didn't get the reference (I did know that Saget and Stamos was in the show)

I definitely got the Alannis Morrisette thing. And Robin's video was definitely based on You Ought to Know. She even kind of looked like her in the video. And of course she's Canadian.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Summary: Filler

Nothing of importance in this episode. I don't think I even laughed once. Normally, I see posts about how awful recent episodes are and I think that they really aren't that bad. This one certainly was. The Barney storyline of going to Canada to interview boyfriends was way out of character. The stalker thing was ridiculous. The whole episode was abysmal, in my opinion.

Show us the mother already and lets get on with romancing her until the series finale. Stop with the filler episodes already.... sigh.
I think we watched different episodes. I thought this episode was really funny.

I disagree with you on the Barney storyline. Going to Canada is totally within character for him.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I thought it was the best of the Robin Sparkles sequels (nothing will top the original). The Dave Coulier joke killed me both times, but I thought it was unusual to not even acknowledge Alanis - since she's also Canadian, and "You Oughta Know" came out in 1995 I believe (I know it was a Grammy nominee in 96, since I have a CD of all of the Grammy winners from that year), so it would have been well-known by the time Robin Daggers appeared at the Grey Cup.

Funny thing that I learned from checking the date on You Oughta Know - according to its Wiki article, the song didn't do very well in Alanis' native Canada (peaked at 20): "Music journalists ascribed the song's underperformance to a resistance from Canadian radio programmers and audiences, because the song represented such a dramatic shift from Morissette's established image as a dance-pop teen star. It was the only single from the album to underperform in Canada relative to other markets."

Sound familiar?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Ment

Robin Daggers > Robin Sparkles all night..
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Trugoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I thought it was the best of the Robin Sparkles sequels (nothing will top the original). The Dave Coulier joke killed me both times, but I thought it was unusual to not even acknowledge Alanis - since she's also Canadian, and "You Oughta Know" came out in 1995 I believe (I know it was a Grammy nominee in 96, since I have a CD of all of the Grammy winners from that year), so it would have been well-known by the time Robin Daggers appeared at the Grey Cup.

Funny thing that I learned from checking the date on You Oughta Know - according to its Wiki article, the song didn't do very well in Alanis' native Canada (peaked at 20): "Music journalists ascribed the song's underperformance to a resistance from Canadian radio programmers and audiences, because the song represented such a dramatic shift from Morissette's established image as a dance-pop teen star. It was the only single from the album to underperform in Canada relative to other markets."

Sound familiar?
Just checking, but I thought it was common knowledge that Alanis was a teen dance-pop star in Canada before she hit it big with the Jagged Little Pill album. If it's not common knowledge, then yeah, the life of Robin Sparkles pretty much mirrors Alanis' early career in Canada.

And as a Canadian, I loved this episode, as I did all the Robin Sparkles episodes. My relatively small town even got a shout out. And if you know anything about Canadians, you'll know that nothing gets us more excited than being acknowledged on US network television.
Trugoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
garys67
Lawn Darts Champion

Couldn't disagree with the thread starter more - by far the funniest episode of the season and a worthy addition to the Robin Sparkles (nee Daggers) pantheon.

All three of my kids loved it, even if I had to explain all the Canadian pop culture references to them.

One other (non-Full House) connection... Marshall's love of Geddy Lee, who he and Paul Rudd idolized in "I Love You, Man".
garys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugoy View Post
Just checking, but I thought it was common knowledge that Alanis was a teen dance-pop star in Canada before she hit it big with the Jagged Little Pill album. If it's not common knowledge, then yeah, the life of Robin Sparkles pretty much mirrors Alanis' early career in Canada.
I was vaguely aware that Alanis wasn't always a post-grunge singer, but none of her bubble-gum stuff ever made it to the States (at least not as far as California), and really, the only detail most of us knew about what she did before was that she had been on "You Can't Do That On Television" as a kid.

But what I was more interested in from that Wiki article was how "You Oughta Know" was not well-received in Canada, due to her prior teeny-bop days. I was living in SoCal when it came out, and KROQ (one of the biggest radio stations in the country, and the leading alternative rock station) played that song constantly. Jagged Little Pill was such a massive album that I figured it would have been an immediate hit in Canada since she was Canadian.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
TonyD79

I think the OP is obsessed with the name of the show rather than just enjoying the comedy.

Love me some Robin sparkles. The Tim Horton stuff was hilarious.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Forgot some other parts of the ep that I liked:

Dobler/Dahmer was a nice bit, although not as the good as the Hot/Crazy Scale (aka the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal).

I loved how Summer Lovin' = "Under the parka, over the turtleneck"

And I cracked up at the various Canadians recalling what Tim Horton they were sitting in and which donut they were eating when they watched the Robin Daggers meltdown.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
Trugoy

Quote:
I was vaguely aware that Alanis wasn't always a post-grunge singer, but none of her bubble-gum stuff ever made it to the States (at least not as far as California), and really, the only detail most of us knew about what she did before was that she had been on "You Can't Do That On Television" as a kid.

But what I was more interested in from that Wiki article was how "You Oughta Know" was not well-received in Canada, due to her prior teeny-bop days. I was living in SoCal when it came out, and KROQ (one of the biggest radio stations in the country, and the leading alternative rock station) played that song constantly. Jagged Little Pill was such a massive album that I figured it would have been an immediate hit in Canada since she was Canadian.
If I recall correctly, there's some truth to that. It was certainly a hit, but amongst young people that were aware of her previous incarnation, it was a bit of a joke.
Trugoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I think the OP is obsessed with the name of the show rather than just enjoying the comedy.
I guess every person has their own views on it. As I said in my original post though, normally I like the episodes that almost everyone else on this forum thinks was awful. For some reason, this one just didn't do anything for me.

The "stalker Lily" thing was so obvious that by the time they explained it, I didn't think they even needed to spell it out. I did like the Dave Coulier bits, but that was about it. Of course, it didn't help that I couldn't stand the girl that was stalking Ted. Something about the way she talked just grated on me.

This really was the first episode in a long time that I wished they had focused on the name of the show. It's ironic that the one episode I feel that way about is the same one that everyone else on this forum liked. Go figure...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
It's ironic
I see what you did there.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys67 View Post
Couldn't disagree with the thread starter more - by far the funniest episode of the season and a worthy addition to the Robin Sparkles (nee Daggers) pantheon.

All three of my kids loved it, even if I had to explain all the Canadian pop culture references to them.

One other (non-Full House) connection... Marshall's love of Geddy Lee, who he and Paul Rudd idolized in "I Love You, Man".
Speaking of Geddy Lee, man did he look horrible!!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post

Love me some Robin sparkles. The Tim Horton stuff was hilarious.
I'm "obsessed with the name of the show, and I thought it was hilarious. I also thought they did move it along. Basically the stalker girl was his last fling before he met the mother. I think that was kind of clear. BTW, that stalker girl reminded me so much of Drew Barrymore. Looked a little like her, and the voice inflection was REALLY similar.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
BTW, that stalker girl reminded me so much of Drew Barrymore. Looked a little like her, and the voice inflection was REALLY similar.
I thought the exact same thing when I saw her.

I think the whole Robin Sparkles thing is played out. Didn't we see Robin and her girlfriend with Alan Thicke in a previous episode? There was no mention of her stalking then. It would've made more sense to be Dave Coulier.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I see what you did there.
He He.

I will admit, most of the Alanis Morissette stuff was lost on me. After reading through all the posts here...This episode makes a little more sense now.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
The Flush
Anonymous User

Quote:
Speaking of Geddy Lee, man did he look horrible!!
Compared to who or when?
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:

I'm "obsessed with the name of the show, and I thought it was hilarious. I also thought they did move it along. Basically the stalker girl was his last fling before he met the mother. I think that was kind of clear. BTW, that stalker girl reminded me so much of Drew Barrymore. Looked a little like her, and the voice inflection was REALLY similar.
She has played Drew Barrymore on SNL more than once. It actually annoyed me that she chose to do the Barrymore voice.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I thought the exact same thing when I saw her.

I think the whole Robin Sparkles thing is played out. Didn't we see Robin and her girlfriend with Alan Thicke in a previous episode? There was no mention of her stalking then. It would've made more sense to be Dave Coulier.
Not sure what you mean: why would they have mentioned the stalking in a previous episode with Alan Thicke? She was stalking Paul Schaffer (P.S.) not Alan.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred View Post
Funny I thought it was great. Loved all of the guest stars, especially Dave Coulier.
I slightly groaned at this. I wish they had made it *slightly* less obvious. That is, if they had Dave Coulier in the list they showed on screen (IIRC was in weird stretched out fonts), it would have been a funny "in" joke.. But it went slightly too far/obvious having him in it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:

Sound familiar?
Uhh, that was half of the entire joke!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote