TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Bigg

Premiere deal $230 off

It looks like they are offering the bundle with $400 service instead of $500. Am I reading that right? It also looks like they're not doing it for the XL4.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
compnurd

Several threads about it. The 400 service is if you have a qualifying MSD... States in the fine print
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Several threads about it. The 400 service is if you have a qualifying MSD... States in the fine print
Oh wow, thanks, that's really nasty, as it's not advertised as such. I had a sneaky feeling that was the case (I may have skimmed over it in another thread). I'm not thinking it's worth imaging a new drive for the S2 just for MSD...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
compnurd

Not sure how you are missing it... says it right there as a service plan option
Product Lifetime service $499.99
Pay once for the life of your DVR!
$399.99 for existing customers qualifying for TiVo's
multi-service discount. (credited at final checkout**)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Bigg

Quote:
Not sure how you are missing it... says it right there as a service plan option
Product Lifetime service $499.99
Pay once for the life of your DVR!
$399.99 for existing customers qualifying for TiVo's
multi-service discount. (credited at final checkout**)
It advertises the bundle as $230 off though, which is false advertising, as the star that goes with that one doesn't disclose that it's just the MSD. In a country with strong pro-consumer advertising controls, they would be getting a cease and desist or a fine for false advertising on that one.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Bigg

Yeah, the fine print clearly states that the service is $399, and doesn't mention any strings being attached... hence, it is false advertising.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Bigg

It would be hard to pull off, but it would be fun to try and order it and then call them out on the price and try to make them give it to me at the advertised price... Probably wouldn't work, even though they would be legally obligated... just like mislabeled prices at the grocery store.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It advertises the bundle as $230 off though, which is false advertising, as the star that goes with that one doesn't disclose that it's just the MSD. In a country with strong pro-consumer advertising controls, they would be getting a cease and desist or a fine for false advertising on that one.
It pretty clearly states up to $230 in very large print. Did they change it before I looked at it?

"Up to" means anywhere from zero up to the maximum amount stated.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It would be hard to pull off, but it would be fun to try and order it and then call them out on the price and try to make them give it to me at the advertised price... Probably wouldn't work, even though they would be legally obligated... just like mislabeled prices at the grocery store.
No store is legally forced to give you anything for mislabeled prices. Stores will do it to keep good customer relations. Its better to lose $.05 profit then a customer.

However if they say its a mistake and tell you the correct price it's up to you if you want to pay.

Also MANY online stores terms of use protect them from errors in pricing.

TIVO POLICY:

9. No Responsibility To Sell Mispriced Products Or Services. TiVo shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for products and/or services listed at an incorrect price, rebate or refund, or containing any other incorrect information or typographical errors. TiVo shall have the right to refuse or cancel any such orders whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is canceled, TiVo shall immediately issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of the charge.

10. Modifications to Prices or Billing Terms. TIVO RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ANY TIME, TO CHANGE ITS PRICES AND BILLING METHODS FOR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES SOLD, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING ON THE SITE OR BY E-MAIL DELIVERY TO YOU, OR AS MAY OTHERWISE BE GOVERNED BY THE TERMS OF THE TIVO SERVICE AGREEMENT.

Now I'm NOT saying Tivo made an error. The deal clearly says "UP TO". However when you use the website you are agreeing to the terms above. Please read them and shop elsewhere if you do not agree.

Last edited by Millionaire2K : 03-07-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Gaidin43

Looks like they lowered this to $130 off instead of $230 off.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
It pretty clearly states up to $230 in very large print. Did they change it before I looked at it?

"Up to" means anywhere from zero up to the maximum amount stated.
Yes but we have a country of idiots that don't know what the heck "up to" means. On my companies web site a few years ago we put on the home page "prices as low as". We had tons of people calling wanting the lowest price and not understanding that the particular product they wanted wasn't one of the lowest priced items and then accusing us of false advertising. We had to remove the pricing within a week. Gees has anyone ever seen a car ad and then gone in and bought a car?
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
Yes but we have a country of idiots that don't know what the heck "up to" means. On my companies web site a few years ago we put on the home page "prices as low as". We had tons of people calling wanting the lowest price and not understanding that the particular product they wanted wasn't one of the lowest priced items and then accusing us of false advertising. We had to remove the pricing within a week. Gees has anyone ever seen a car ad and then gone in and bought a car?
No like you said we are a country of idiots. No one has any common sense and wants everything now for the cheapest price
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
atmuscarella

Quote:
No like you said we are a country of idiots. No one has any common sense and wants everything now for the cheapest price
Idiot = mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way.
So exactly how is someone an idiot for trying to get a product at a lower price? Do you believe it makes sense to not want the cheapest price when you buy something?

All that said I would say all the bla-bla-blaing about TiVo's price and/or special offiers on these forums is idiotic.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
When you click through it still says "up to $230". That's not the issue. It's the fine print, which doesn't disclose that requirement.

It's not that I'm an idiot, I suspected something was wrong with it, HOWEVER, their website is clearly false advertising.

I think the law may actually limit the damages to small dollar amount if the difference is more than $X. So it wouldn't really help in this case, although it does in a retail store on a $5 item, and it may also be state law, so your state might not be the same...