TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
7thton
no, no, no.

Checklist of things I should know before my Bolt & Charter cable card instalation?

Hey all.

I have used TiVos off and on for many, many years. However, I have never used a TiVo in conjunction with a cable card.

I'm going to be ordering a new Bolt and using it with a cable card from Charter.

I've read various posts that have included some helpful information, but I'm wondering if there is some kind soul who would mind consolidating all of the relevant information for my install in to one post.

Here is my install:

* One Bolt
* One TV
* Charter is my provider
* Internet connection can be via ethernet cord or from WiFi (my router is near the TV)

I'm obviously nervous about getting the cable card authorized and the tuning adaptor working as needed.

Here are my specific questions:

* What information can I provide to Charter to help the tech(s) get my cable card and TA working properly?
* What is the proper configuration of the cable card and the TA? (Follow up question: Can there be one line coming in to the house, going in to a three-way splitter with one line to the cable modem, one line to the TA, and one line to the TiVo?)

Any help will be appreciated!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
GoodSpike

Not sure about your TA questions, but the Cablecard & device information that you need to pair the cablecard will appear on your screen. It may even give a phone number for your cable co.

GoodSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton View Post
Hey all.

I have used TiVos off and on for many, many years. However, I have never used a TiVo in conjunction with a cable card.

I'm going to be ordering a new Bolt and using it with a cable card from Charter.

I've read various posts that have included some helpful information, but I'm wondering if there is some kind soul who would mind consolidating all of the relevant information for my install in to one post.

Here is my install:

* One Bolt
* One TV
* Charter is my provider
* Internet connection can be via ethernet cord or from WiFi (my router is near the TV)

I'm obviously nervous about getting the cable card authorized and the tuning adaptor working as needed.

Here are my specific questions:

* What information can I provide to Charter to help the tech(s) get my cable card and TA working properly?
* What is the proper configuration of the cable card and the TA? (Follow up question: Can there be one line coming in to the house, going in to a three-way splitter with one line to the cable modem, one line to the TA, and one line to the TiVo?)

Any help will be appreciated!
Hi,
There can be issues with any of the cable company getting a TA and cable card up and running, but some are lucky from the get go and others make complaints to the FCC for failing to proper support cable cards. Think lucky...
The splitter setup, 3 way should be fine. Often these are unbalanced with one port loosing less of the signal. Normally the 3.5 db rated port will be used to feed the cable modem but this is often not critical unless there are problems.
I would recommend using Ethernet over wireless, it's just plain better, more stable and faster.
Some TA's seem to lose sync over time and need to be rebooted once in a while. Some folks with this issue power the TA though one of those weekly timers to go on and off at 3AM Sunday or whenever.
Good luck.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
GoodSpike

On the wifi issue, I've been using wifi since I bought the Bolt, which was only about 3 weeks ago, but it's been rock solid during that time. No connection or buffering issues at all.

GoodSpike is offline   Reply With Quote