TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Question Can't create Season Pass on different channel

I've had a Season Pass for Psych on USA Network for quite some time. When my cable provider added USA in HD, I left it pending new episodes in the guide so I could create a replacement SP and delete the old one. In the interim, I purchased a Premiere and switched cable providers, though I doubt that's relevant.

Today I found episodes of Psych on my To Do List, though they aren't new. As their broadcast gets closer they would eventually drop off since mine is a new-only SP. But I tried to take this opportunity to create a new SP from the HD channel so that I could then move it where the existing one is and remove the old one. Imagine my surprise when I could not find any way to do that.

The only available action I could find was to modify the existing SP, which doesn't let me change the channel number. I've tried every trick I can think of but never get offered a way to create a new, separate SP on the USA HD channel.

Am I missing something? I know this is supposed to be possible because I've done it in the past. And I currently have two SPs for the same program on different channels that I created on purpose! Any suggestions?
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
I've had a Season Pass for Psych on USA Network for quite some time. When my cable provider added USA in HD, I left it pending new episodes in the guide so I could create a replacement SP and delete the old one. In the interim, I purchased a Premiere and switched cable providers, though I doubt that's relevant.

Today I found episodes of Psych on my To Do List, though they aren't new. As their broadcast gets closer they would eventually drop off since mine is a new-only SP. But I tried to take this opportunity to create a new SP from the HD channel so that I could then move it where the existing one is and remove the old one. Imagine my surprise when I could not find any way to do that.

The only available action I could find was to modify the existing SP, which doesn't let me change the channel number. I've tried every trick I can think of but never get offered a way to create a new, separate SP on the USA HD channel.

Am I missing something? I know this is supposed to be possible because I've done it in the past. And I currently have two SPs for the same program on different channels that I created on purpose! Any suggestions?
Adding a second season pass on a Premiere does seem to be a bit quirky. For example, if you press the red Record button to record a show from the guide and try to create a season pass, it should be obvious that you want to create the season pass for that channel. But the TiVo will default to modifying the existing season pass for the original channel. To create a season pass on the new channel you have to tell it to "Get another Season Pass". That part of the interface is ergonomically confused.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can always delete the existing season pass and then just make a new one. It's not like the episodes recorded from the old pass will vanish if the pass no longer exists.

As for reruns recording on a new TiVo that has a pass set to "new only," the new TiVo may not know that those are old (to you) and might record them anyway. If it hasn't recorded them in the last 28 days, it will flag them as new.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
LynnL999

It's a little hard to tell if this is your situation, but you can only create or modify an SP on a specific channel if there are upcoming episodes in the guide on that channel. So if Psych is rerunning not on USA, but on Cloo or Ion or Universal HD or whatever, you can't change the SP to USA-HD. You have to wait until there are episodes (either new or rerun) on USA-HD.

Psych premieres its new season in late February, so try on Feb. 20 or so, and you'll be able to modify your SP to USA-HD.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Adding a second season pass on a Premiere does seem to be a bit quirky. For example, if you press the red Record button to record a show from the guide and try to create a season pass, it should be obvious that you want to create the season pass for that channel. But the TiVo will default to modifying the existing season pass for the original channel. To create a season pass on the new channel you have to tell it to "Get another Season Pass". That part of the interface is ergonomically confused.
I've never seen anything anywhere that offers a chance to "Get another Season Pass". I already have two SPs for Stargate SG-1 on different channels, but the second was created when there were no episodes on the channel used by the original SP.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You can always delete the existing season pass and then just make a new one. It's not like the episodes recorded from the old pass will vanish if the pass no longer exists.

As for reruns recording on a new TiVo that has a pass set to "new only," the new TiVo may not know that those are old (to you) and might record them anyway. If it hasn't recorded them in the last 28 days, it will flag them as new.
There are no old episodes. It's been months since Psych aired, which is why the old SD version of the SP has been hanging around and the SD version of USA still in my lineup waiting for episodes to appear so that I could create the new replacement SP.

I obviously know I could delete the old one and maybe eliminate this problem, but I shouldn't have to do that. I'm using the very same technique I've used in the past when finally getting an HD channel where I already had an SP on the SD side.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
It's a little hard to tell if this is your situation, but you can only create or modify an SP on a specific channel if there are upcoming episodes in the guide on that channel. So if Psych is rerunning not on USA, but on Cloo or Ion or Universal HD or whatever, you can't change the SP to USA-HD. You have to wait until there are episodes (either new or rerun) on USA-HD.

Psych premieres its new season in late February, so try on Feb. 20 or so, and you'll be able to modify your SP to USA-HD.
I'm not sure why it's hard to tell since I specifically stated that there are episodes now appearing in my guide data. That's exactly why the SD version of USA Network is still in my channel lineup after getting the HD version, since I needed to wait for episodes in order to create a replacement SP. But now my Premiere won't let me do it -- it's only offering to let me change the existing one, and you can't change from one channel to another!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
LynnL999

Quote:
I'm not sure why it's hard to tell since I specifically stated that there are episodes now appearing in my guide data.
Right -- but it wasn't clear to me whether the episodes showing up were on USA, or another channel like Cloo or Ion. USA doesn't rerun its own shows all that much when they aren't airing originals. I had a similar issue when I got my new Premiere -- White Collar was airing, but not on USA, but in syndication on a local channel. Therefore I couldn't set a season pass for it on USA until the first-run USA episodes appeared in the guide -- the only channel option was the local channel.

Quote:
That's exactly why the SD version of USA Network is still in my channel lineup after getting the HD version, since I needed to wait for episodes in order to create a replacement SP. But now my Premiere won't let me do it -- it's only offering to let me change the existing one, and you can't change from one channel to another!
I think it's because the episodes you're seeing haven't been airing on USA. Thus, the SP will only allow you to keep the current channel, or change it to the channel where the episodes are now airing. It doesn't matter that to us the HD and SD versions are the same except for the format -- as far as TiVo is concerned they are two separate channels.

My quick and dirty Zap2It search doesn't show Psych airing on USA right now -- the only episodes are on ION. It looks like USA has a marathon overnight on 2/16-2/17, so when those appear in your guide (which should be in the next day or so) you should be able to change the SP to the HD channel.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Right -- but it wasn't clear to me whether the episodes showing up were on USA, or another channel like Cloo or Ion. USA doesn't rerun its own shows all that much when they aren't airing originals. I had a similar issue when I got my new Premiere -- White Collar was airing, but not on USA, but in syndication on a local channel. Therefore I couldn't set a season pass for it on USA until the first-run USA episodes appeared in the guide -- the only channel option was the local channel.

I think it's because the episodes you're seeing haven't been airing on USA. Thus, the SP will only allow you to keep the current channel, or change it to the channel where the episodes are now airing. It doesn't matter that to us the HD and SD versions are the same except for the format -- as far as TiVo is concerned they are two separate channels.

My quick and dirty Zap2It search doesn't show Psych airing on USA right now -- the only episodes are on ION. It looks like USA has a marathon overnight on 2/16-2/17, so when those appear in your guide (which should be in the next day or so) you should be able to change the SP to the HD channel.
ION isn't available locally, and I never heard of Cloo. And in fact, this is the first I ever heard that Psych aired anywhere else. Glad to hear it.

But I happened to check my To Do List this morning and discovered episodes of Psych on USA Network starting late Friday (maybe midnight) and into Saturday. That's what prompted me to try and take the opportunity to create a replacement SP in hopes that I could then remove USA's SD channel from my lineup. Doing that will then enable me to get NCIS reruns, for example, only in HD when the occasional suggestion recording occurs (that's another issue, losing most suggestions now that I have a TA!!). I've done this before on my TiVo HD, not Premiere, when I found *any* episodes, whether or not they're new or current, but this one failed. And from the sounds of this, I'm going to be stuck with this odd behavior until I'm closer to the actual air date of new episodes.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
ION isn't available locally, and I never heard of Cloo. And in fact, this is the first I ever heard that Psych aired anywhere else. Glad to hear it.

But I happened to check my To Do List this morning and discovered episodes of Psych on USA Network starting late Friday (maybe midnight) and into Saturday. That's what prompted me to try and take the opportunity to create a replacement SP in hopes that I could then remove USA's SD channel from my lineup. Doing that will then enable me to get NCIS reruns, for example, only in HD when the occasional suggestion recording occurs (that's another issue, losing most suggestions now that I have a TA!!). I've done this before on my TiVo HD, not Premiere, when I found *any* episodes, whether or not they're new or current, but this one failed. And from the sounds of this, I'm going to be stuck with this odd behavior until I'm closer to the actual air date of new episodes.
I show episodes airing beginning Sat at 10PM but as previously mentioned those are syndicated and not actually on USA but on ion. It is season 3 episode 6.

ION is the only channel I show in the current guide data that is airing Psych. Maybe your provider added ION.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The other possibility is I've seen USA use generic guide data for Psych reruns (they all have the same generic description about a psychic detective); mostly the ones that air while the show in on hiatus between seasons.

They did it often enough that I changed my Psych season pass to an autorecording wishlist and used the daily show trick to avoid recording any episode that had that generic description.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I show episodes airing beginning Sat at 10PM but as previously mentioned those are syndicated and not actually on USA but on ion. It is season 3 episode 6.

ION is the only channel I show in the current guide data that is airing Psych. Maybe your provider added ION.
As I said at the outset, the episodes that appeared in my To Do List are on USA Network because I have a Season Pass there. Even if my provider had added ION (it hasn't), episodes there would not appear in my To Do List.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
The other possibility is I've seen USA use generic guide data for Psych reruns (they all have the same generic description about a psychic detective); mostly the ones that air while the show in on hiatus between seasons.

They did it often enough that I changed my Psych season pass to an autorecording wishlist and used the daily show trick to avoid recording any episode that had that generic description.
That's exactly why these new episodes appeared in my updated To Do List, because the guide data is generic. I fully expect that they would eventually drop off since my SP is for new episodes only. This same thing often happens with other programs on other channels too.

Unfortunately, this still doesn't explain why I can't create a new SP on a different channel (the HD one) now that both are in my guide data...I'm just thoroughly surprised by that.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
cherry ghost

Quote:
But I happened to check my To Do List this morning and discovered episodes of Psych on USA Network starting late Friday (maybe midnight) and into Saturday.

Those episodes are next week Saturday into Sunday. This means they just got into your To Do List from the latest connection. My guess is that you'll be able to add the new SP later today.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

A wishlisr set to auto record will pickup shows on any channel
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Thumbs up Fixed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Those episodes are next week Saturday into Sunday. This means they just got into your To Do List from the latest connection. My guess is that you'll be able to add the new SP later today.
I've begun wondering now if there's some difference in the TiVo's behavior based on timing or other ethereal factors...

I went back this morning after yet another overnight data update from TiVo and decided to try again. The first time around, after viewing upcoming showings and choosing the HD channel, I was only offered a choice of modifying or deleting the existing Season Pass. This time a third option appeared: Get Another Season Pass! So I did that and it worked! That allowed me to remove the original and delete the SD channel from my lineup.

So the problem is solved but the curiosity as to why it didn't work before remains...
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
sharkster

Unfortunately, about the only thing you cannot change in an SP is the channel. I've been railing for this for almost a year now, when I got my Premieres and was trying to figure out how to convert my SPs from the SD channels to all the new HD channels I now received. The only way was to wait until any given show was off hiatus and start a whole new SP.

I'm STILL (11 months later) hanging on to two old SD channels, waiting for a couple of shows to have a new season so I won't miss them and can THEN replace the SPs to the HD channels. Don't know any other way to do it, short of wishlist, which is a hot mess, so I'm not going to deal with a zillion other shows coming up just because they are kind of like the words in the shows I'm looking for.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Unfortunately, about the only thing you cannot change in an SP is the channel. I've been railing for this for almost a year now, when I got my Premieres and was trying to figure out how to convert my SPs from the SD channels to all the new HD channels I now received. The only way was to wait until any given show was off hiatus and start a whole new SP.

I'm STILL (11 months later) hanging on to two old SD channels, waiting for a couple of shows to have a new season so I won't miss them and can THEN replace the SPs to the HD channels. Don't know any other way to do it, short of wishlist, which is a hot mess, so I'm not going to deal with a zillion other shows coming up just because they are kind of like the words in the shows I'm looking for.
That's precisely why I attempted to create this new SP for Psych to begin with, since it's been off for some time. Then when I recently switched cable providers, I got yet another channel in HD that I didn't have before, so that I had two SPs of this type where I was keeping SD/HD channels in my lineup until I could fix the SP. Thanks to resolving the one with Psych this morning, I'm back down to just one -- although that program isn't due back until around July.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
LynnL999

Quote:
So the problem is solved but the curiosity as to why it didn't work before remains...
It didn't work before because no Psych episodes on USAHD were in the guide data. Now there are.

You can't create or modify a season pass on (or change to) a channel where there aren't upcoming episodes in the guide.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
cherry ghost

Quote:
Quote:
It didn't work before because no Psych episodes on USAHD were in the guide data. Now there are.

You can't create or modify a season pass on (or change to) a channel where there aren't upcoming episodes in the guide.

Yes, they were in the Guide Data. They had been added on the most recent connection. The problem was that even though they were showing in the Guide, a SP was not possible because the TiVo had not properly indexed the new information from the recent connection.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
I went back this morning after yet another overnight data update from TiVo and decided to try again. The first time around, after viewing upcoming showings and choosing the HD channel, I was only offered a choice of modifying or deleting the existing Season Pass. This time a third option appeared: Get Another Season Pass! So I did that and it worked! That allowed me to remove the original and delete the SD channel from my lineup.
As was mentioned just before me, the reason it didn't work before is most likely the guide data hadn't been indexed yet. Just because new guide data shows up in the guide itself doesn't mean it has been indexed for searching.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #22
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:

There absolutely WERE episodes of Psych in my guide data, on both the SD and HD versions of USA Network, at the time of my first attempt. I have no idea why it refused to let me create a new SP then, but it allowed it this morning.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Yes, they were in the Guide Data. They had been added on the most recent connection. The problem was that even though they were showing in the Guide, a SP was not possible because the TiVo had not properly indexed the new information from the recent connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
As was mentioned just before me, the reason it didn't work before is most likely the guide data hadn't been indexed yet. Just because new guide data shows up in the guide itself doesn't mean it has been indexed for searching.
This is new information to me...I've never before heard that indexing had any bearing on the ability to create an SP. I have no grounds to disagree, but I have to say it sure sounds strange that I could record a single episode and yet not create a new SP.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
cherry ghost

Quote:
This is new information to me...I've never before heard that indexing had any bearing on the ability to create an SP. I have no grounds to disagree, but I have to say it sure sounds strange that I could record a single episode and yet not create a new SP.
Most likely you attempted to create the SP shortly after a connection. If you had tried as little as an hour later the option to create a SP probably would have been there. Chalk it up to bad timing. It's possible that something like this will never affect you again.