TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

"The Following" ripped in review

Sepinwall REALLY hates "The Following"....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Azlen

Metacritic has 5 positive, 3 mixed and 2 negative reviews. They put Sepinwall's in the mixed category for whatever reason. I guess I'll have to watch and judge for myself.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-fol...critic-reviews
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
... I guess I'll have to watch and judge for myself...
As will I....nor do I always agree with Sepinwall.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Who is Sepinwall and why should I care about his review?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Who is Sepinwall and why should I care about his review?
yeah....I've never understood why anybody pays attentions to reviews, especially with TV. Just watch an episode for yourself and see.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I always have mixed feelings towards TV reviews. I take the reviews on this forum much more seriously than I take someone like Sepinwall.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I don't read much of what Sepinwall writes, but I do listen to the podcast he and Dan Fienberg put out every week ("Firewall & Iceberg").

They seem to hate lots of TV that many of us like.... "Episodes" and "American Horror Story" immediately come to mind. But they love to babble on endlessly about "Bunheads". Go figure.

They recently talked lukewarm (more "lukecold") about "Banshee", Cinemax's latest series. I'm lovin' it.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

The only way I will know if I like it is if I watch it.
I rarely agree with reviews.

I will probably read about it here first in case it sucks donkey balls, but I will record it to keep it available to me. I missed out on the first season of a few shows because I didn't take the opportunity to record them before the jury was in and I learned my lesson.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
The only way I will know if I like it is if I watch it.
I rarely agree with reviews.

I will probably read about it here first in case it sucks donkey balls,
So you're going to read.... reviews.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Those aren't review; those are internet message board babblings.

MUCH better than reviews!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The NY Times gave it a good review (Alessandra Stanley). I was going to watch either way. Seems different enough to be interested. But like Vegas, if this turns into a police procedural more than the story about the serial killer, I'm gone.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
No, I'm going to hear opinions from people I have previously observed, judged, and categorized as worth listening to or not
I find that far different than a reviewer whose job probably depends on how many hits their review gets.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I tend not to care about what the reviewer's opinion of the show is as much as them describing what the show is. Some shows I've liked that have gotten rave reviews and others not so much. The only review that matters is mine in the end.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The NY Times gave it a good review (Alessandra Stanley). I was going to watch either way. Seems different enough to be interested. But like Vegas, if this turns into a police procedural more than the story about the serial killer, I'm gone.
My understanding of the show is that it is about the serial killers cult followers and not about him.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
yeah....I've never understood why anybody pays attentions to reviews, especially with TV. Just watch an episode for yourself and see.
Because if you read enough reviews from enough different people, you can determine whose opinions you usually agree with. I know my opinions on TV usually line up with Sepinwall's, so I'm giving weight to his opinion whether I should watch the show or not.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Because if you read enough reviews from enough different people, you can determine whose opinions you usually agree with. I know my opinions on TV usually line up with Sepinwall's, so I'm giving weight to his opinion whether I should watch the show or not.
Exactly. That's the function of the reviewer -- not to make you agree with them, but to give you a frame of reference from which you can judge for yourself.

I like Sepinwall. I probably would not have watched The Following anyway, but his evaluation of it makes that even more certain.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
GDG76
Packet Herder

His commentary and why he didn't like it is enough for me. They do the same thing in the Mentalist and it drove me nuts and made me stop watching the show.

Has there ever been a serial killer who has actually recruited an army of otherwise sane people willing to fight/murder/die for him? I know there were a couple of fringe cases here and there and certainly plenty of copycats, but the "serial killer as puppetmaster" is so played out at this point.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
sharkster

I continue to look forward to the show. I've watched the promo piece (Inside The Following) twice and I'm intrigued. Plus - Kevin Bacon...it goes without saying that he is amazing as an actor.

I've studied serial killers for as long as I can remember and, with the exception of 'Dexter' and VERY few other shows, I usually don't even get interested in dramas. I prefer 'real crime' (hopeless ID addict). But I'm intrigued by this show. I am not familiar with any of these reviewers anyway and tend to decide on my own what I like.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
His commentary and why he didn't like it is enough for me. They do the same thing in the Mentalist and it drove me nuts and made me stop watching the show.

Has there ever been a serial killer who has actually recruited an army of otherwise sane people willing to fight/murder/die for him? I know there were a couple of fringe cases here and there and certainly plenty of copycats, but the "serial killer as puppetmaster" is so played out at this point.
Here's the thing about reviewers? You know how a lot of them became reviewers? Because there was no opening at the city desk or sport desk. So now they are "experts" What makes them more of an expert than you or me? Nothing really. It's all about tastes. For some, Sepinwell might like the same stuff you do, for other, maybe not. Like I said, I read reviews for what they are, one person's opinion. I rarely if ever NOT watch a show because of bad reviews. I tend to want to form my opinions.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I will watch it anyway. I am not sure when, (probably after I have worked my way through the "Holmes on Homes" marathon) but it'll be on the DVR waiting for me.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
awsnyde

The TV Guide critic, whose reviews I actually trust despite the fact that he hated the first season of American Horror Story and went on and on about it for months beyond all reason, gave it a 9 out of 10.

Despite his in my opinion unwarranted hate of AHS, I usually find myself agreeing with him, plus his review got me to watch BtVS when it first debuted, and Buffy eventually became my all-time favorite TV series.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
WhiskeyTango

Sepinwall sounds like a big ole windbag in that review.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
awsnyde

Now the Washington Post critic is, for me, almost always wrong. If anything, Hank Stuever is even less trustworthy than the previous Post critic, Tom Shales, and Hank also hates The Following.

Now who should I trust, TV Guide's Matt Roush who I almost always find myself agreeing with, and who loves The Following, or the Post's Hank Stuever, who is almost always wrong?
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
Now the Washington Post critic is, for me, almost always wrong. If anything, Hank Stuever is even less trustworthy than the previous Post critic, Tom Shales, and Hank also hates The Following.

Now who should I trust, TV Guide's Matt Roush who I almost always find myself agreeing with, and who loves The Following, or the Post's Hank Stuever, who is almost always wrong?
Trust you own opinion. It's the only one that matters
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But then you have to watch every show that airs in order to form your own opinion. Which isn't really practical.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
pmyers

Quote:
Exactly....this is TV and I assume we all have some type of DVR so what is the harm of trying it?

It's not like a movie where you have to pay something.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
dbranco

I love reading his reviews on the various shows that I watch, and more often than not I agree with his opinions. I'll give this a chance, and we'll see!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Exactly....this is TV and I assume we all have some type of DVR so what is the harm of trying it?

It's not like a movie where you have to pay something.
Exactly. But it's easy enough to weed out shows you have no interest in, without reading a critic's review. You know you don't like police procedurals or reality shows or sitcoms, easy enough not to watch those. Or, you can read the guide info in your TV listings. I don't need a critic telling me what I might like. I know my tastes, I know what I like. Now, if I come here, and a bunch of YOU regular guys are telling me something is good, I might record something I might not necessarily like to see what the fuss is about, such as Breaking Bad. But ultimately the reason I watch or not watch is not based on any professional critic's opinion. I do read them though.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The other problem with reading these reviews before viewing the shows is that you go into watching that show less than open minded. For instance, those of you who are Sepiwell fans, might watch The Following and have a preconceived notion that the show stinks, and then you're watching with jaundiced eyes.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post

That's some fancy name droppin' there
Do you really spend that much time reading reviews?
I can't remember the name of my mailman and I see him every day!