TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
bobdole888

change season pass from hd to sd

Is there an easy way to move shows on season pass between HD and SD? (or channel change for the same show name)

It's kind of painful to create new season pass and delete the old one, and then move the priority to the original place.

Just wondering if there was an easier way.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
Is there an easy way to move shows on season pass between HD and SD? (or channel change for the same show name)

It's kind of painful to create new season pass and delete the old one, and then move the priority to the original place.

Why in the world would you want to go to SD?!
consumedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
bobdole888

some shows were not produced in HD to start with. Even though the channel is HD, the content is not HD.
Also some shows are low priority, I don't care if they are recorded in SD.
It does free up a lot of space shifting things that I don't care about to SD.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:

You should be able to just leave both season passes in place, with the one you want to record coming first (higher priority). Swapping the positions of the two manually would still qualify as a PITA in my book, but it wouldn't be as bad as creating a new season pass each time.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
some shows were not produced in HD to start with. Even though the channel is HD, the content is not HD.
Also some shows are low priority, I don't care if they are recorded in SD.
It does free up a lot of space shifting things that I don't care about to SD.
If the content is SD it will take less space. And 720p takes less space than 1080i. Like you, I have SD channels that are duplicates of the HD channels. There is no way to change the channel you have in the Season Pass to my knowledge. Like was posted, you have to delete from one channel and re-enter from the other channel.

You can verify the space used by a title with the Desktop program.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
MathiasRex

Not sure if you have Premier TiVo box, but the Season Pass options there allow you to choose which channels will be recorded for the shows. Should be able to opt out of the HD channel and only record the SD one...
MathiasRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRex View Post
Not sure if you have Premier TiVo box, but the Season Pass options there allow you to choose which channels will be recorded for the shows. Should be able to opt out of the HD channel and only record the SD one...
Could you expand on that since I don't see an option to change the channel under the Season Pass options.

I get SD channel 2 and HD channel 502 for the same station.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

I would think that the easiest thing to do would be to add capacity. Way easier that micro-managing season passes and wishlists.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I would think that the easiest thing to do would be to add capacity. Way easier that micro-managing season passes and wishlists.
Agreed. Do you see a way to change channels with the Season Pass options?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRex View Post
This is wrong. SPs do NOT allow you to choose the channel that the SP is recorded on. If you are using View Upcoming Episodes (or whatever it's called), and it lists both SD and HD airings, you can choose which one to click on, and THEN ask for an SP for that channel.

Again: SPs are channel specific. You can't choose a channel to record (or HD/SD) from within the SP.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
720p takes less space than 1080i..
This is completely wrong. They both use the same amount of bandwidth and space when encoded with the same compression type.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
If the content is SD it will take less space. And 720p takes less space than 1080i. Like you, I have SD channels that are duplicates of the HD channels. There is no way to change the channel you have in the Season Pass to my knowledge. Like was posted, you have to delete from one channel and re-enter from the other channel.

You can verify the space used by a title with the Desktop program.
The problem is that the channel is PBS HD, which broadcasted at 1080i, but the show that it self was SD, but PBS shows the show with black banners on the sides, and the show is clearly SD (old tv show). I check the storage, it took up 4.1GB for 30min. The show took up more space, but the quality is actually worse than SD. Regular SD show wouldn't have the stupid black banner on the sides.

Anyway, doesn't look like anyone had a good way to change SP channel, so I just went through and added bunch of SD SP and move them to the original priority and then delete the HD SP. Took like 20 minutes, wish Tivo would eventually allow users to change the channel for SP in the future.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
This is completely wrong. They both use the same amount of bandwidth and space when encoded with the same compression type.
The file size on the TiVo is the same for 720p as 1080i but different when moved to the HDD using the Desktop program? That's strange.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is wrong. SPs do NOT allow you to choose the channel that the SP is recorded on. If you are using View Upcoming Episodes (or whatever it's called), and it lists both SD and HD airings, you can choose which one to click on, and THEN ask for an SP for that channel.

Again: SPs are channel specific. You can't choose a channel to record (or HD/SD) from within the SP.
Actually, the HDUI has made a few updates to make it easier. While you can't modify a SP's channel, if you search for a show, you can select an airing on any channel to create a SP since you can now select the channel on the create season pass page. It will let you scroll through all of the channels that have at least one upcoming showing.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
The problem is that the channel is PBS HD, which broadcasted at 1080i, but the show that it self was SD, but PBS shows the show with black banners on the sides, and the show is clearly SD (old tv show). I check the storage, it took up 4.1GB for 30min. The show took up more space, but the quality is actually worse than SD. Regular SD show wouldn't have the stupid black banner on the sides.

Anyway, doesn't look like anyone had a good way to change SP channel, so I just went through and added bunch of SD SP and move them to the original priority and then delete the HD SP. Took like 20 minutes, wish Tivo would eventually allow users to change the channel for SP in the future.
It would be best to start a new thread if you wish to discuss HD transmission of an old analog show, preservation or addition of the WS bit and changing aspect ratios.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Actually, the HDUI has made a few updates to make it easier. While you can't modify a SP's channel, if you search for a show, you can select an airing on any channel to create a SP since you can now select the channel on the create season pass page. It will let you scroll through all of the channels that have at least one upcoming showing.
The SDUI allows that too. That's what I was referring to when I said to look at View Upcoming Episodes and pick a channel from that.

SPs are channel specific. But when you drill down and look at upcoming airings, it will show ALL the episodes, regardless of channel.

Unless I am completely misunderstanding what you are saying.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The SDUI allows that too. That's what I was referring to when I said to look at View Upcoming Episodes and pick a channel from that.
No, the SDUI doesn't allow selecting from a list of available channels when creating a season pass. Yes, you can scroll through upcoming episodes to find a channel, but that is no longer necessary in the HDUI. The season pass creation gives you a list of available channels making it much easier.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
mattack

Yeah, but you still have to do a view upcoming, create a new SP, and THEN choose the channel. The UI when editing a SP is slightly confusing because it LOOKS like it still has the left/right choice for channel choice, but doesn't actually let you change that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah, but you still have to do a view upcoming, create a new SP, and THEN choose the channel. The UI when editing a SP is slightly confusing because it LOOKS like it still has the left/right choice for channel choice, but doesn't actually let you change that.
Yeah, it does look like they planned on allowing editing of the channel from the season pass manager.

But in the HDUI, you no longer have to go to upcoming episodes to create a season pass. All you have to do is select the show from Search and "Get this show" is the default option.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
sharkster

I wish we could change the channel on a Season Pass without having to delete the SP and start over. When shows are in hiatus you cannot do even that because there is nothing to SP on.

When I replaced my S2 Tivos with Premieres I had to go through months of re-doing SPs because I was now getting HD channels and I wanted to change them from the old SD channels to the new HD channels.

Even now, almost 11 months later, I have a couple of shows that have not returned from hiatus (HBO, SHO shows) for which I've had to keep the old SD channels in my line up so they will be picked up and, whenever they return, I can re-do the SPs.

It just seems wonky and old-tech to have to do that instead of being able to just go into the SP and change the channel designation.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
jrtroo
User

I use a wishlist for this scenario. Works great.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I wish we could change the channel on a Season Pass without having to delete the SP and start over. When shows are in hiatus you cannot do even that because there is nothing to SP on.

When I replaced my S2 Tivos with Premieres I had to go through months of re-doing SPs because I was now getting HD channels and I wanted to change them from the old SD channels to the new HD channels.

Even now, almost 11 months later, I have a couple of shows that have not returned from hiatus (HBO, SHO shows) for which I've had to keep the old SD channels in my line up so they will be picked up and, whenever they return, I can re-do the SPs.

It just seems wonky and old-tech to have to do that instead of being able to just go into the SP and change the channel designation.
Yes, this is a huge PITA, and it's surely lazy programming on TiVo's part. How hard could it be to simply allow changing the season pass channel number to any channel in the current lineup? And what's the worst that could happen if they allowed that? I guess you could choose a channel on which that program will never appear, but so what? If you make that mistake, you just suffer the consequences. Anything would be better than the never-ending pain of having to continually watch for a program to reappear just so you can fix the season pass.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

Didn't that get partially mitigated by the web based season pass transfer feature?

I seem to remember the website recognizing when there were both an SD and HD version of a channel (in your new TiVo's lineup) and (usually?) asking which one I wanted to SP set for. I don't think there had to be an upcoming episode, but it's been a while so I might be somewhat misremembering.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
lpwcomp

I think part of the problem here is there are two different things being discussed. The HDUI allows you to select the channel when you create a season pass but you still cannot modify the channel for an existing season pass.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
OvrrDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Didn't that get partially mitigated by the web based season pass transfer feature?

I seem to remember the website recognizing when there were both an SD and HD version of a channel (in your new TiVo's lineup) and (usually?) asking which one I wanted to SP set for. I don't think there had to be an upcoming episode, but it's been a while so I might be somewhat misremembering.
I just used it to transfer my SP's from my old box to my premiere and every SP I selected it asked me what channel I wanted to record from before it imported them. It was amazing simple to change my old sd channels to the hd's using it.
OvrrDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Yes, this is a huge PITA, and it's surely lazy programming on TiVo's part. How hard could it be to simply allow changing the season pass channel number to any channel in the current lineup? And what's the worst that could happen if they allowed that? I guess you could choose a channel on which that program will never appear, but so what? If you make that mistake, you just suffer the consequences. Anything would be better than the never-ending pain of having to continually watch for a program to reappear just so you can fix the season pass.
"you could choose a channel on which that program will never appear, but so what"

So what? So then Tivo gets lots of calls from people because of *their* (the user) fault.

You seem to be missing the "simplicity" part of Tivo.

YES, *I* would like more tweakability, but the "UI is consistent" (though less consistent than with a S1) and "it just works" are hallmarks of it and other good UIs.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
"you could choose a channel on which that program will never appear, but so what"

So what? So then Tivo gets lots of calls from people because of *their* (the user) fault.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. However, they could offer the same channel selection options you get when you initially create an SP, assuming there were any upcoming episodes. HDUI only of course.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Not to digress, but isn't this last bit what a wish-list search is for?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The 720p programs take up less space on my TiVo's versus the 1080i. why do you think they would be the same size?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
The 720p programs take up less space on my TiVo's versus the 1080i. why do you think they would be the same size?

Scott
What make you think they are different?