TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
SNJpage1

ajwees41, The 1st cable card is per the FCC, the $2 charge for the 2nd is based on what Comcast charges for a second card.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
SNJpage1

I'm not sure why you need to buy two new Tivo's. The set up you have now will go from 6 tuners to 4 tuners, with the TivoHD getting a cable card and the ser2 each losing one channel, while being hooked to two digital cable boxes. So you would only need to buy one Tivo HD or a premier. When I had a ser2 I had it connected to a digital cable box and used a cord that came with the Tivo to connect the TiVo ser2 to the cable box for changing channels.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
SNJpage1

I was wondering what TiVo's are connected to what TV's?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
ajwees41, The 1st cable card is per the FCC, the $2 charge for the 2nd is based on what Comcast charges for a second card.
I'd be interested to see the FCC regulation requiring this. If so, TWC, along with many other Cable providers have been willfully violating this "first card free" rule since the existence of CableCARDs. The "first card is free" is Comcast standard practice, may also be other cable companies too. There is no mandate for a free 1st card. There is a user-supplied equipment credit if a cable box is included as part of the cable package your subscribe to, but nothing more than that.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #35
lpwcomp

Quote:
Specific cite please.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
SNJpage1

It seems I have been believing what a lot of other people have posted in other threads. I took what I read about 1st cable card is free according to FCC to be the truth. I just spent the past 30 minutes trying to prove that fact. Turns out I could not find anything to prove it. So as some one else has posted it must be just Comcast doing that.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
SNJpage1

The OP's cable company sure makes it hard to figure out prices on their web site. It appears they charge $2 for a cable card. They don't list any place about the equipment refund you are suppose to get for not using one of their boxes when you have a device that uses a cable card.
It appears that the OP and the cable company's other customers might have a class action lawsuit because of how the cable company is trying to force them to rent their DVR by disabling the features of the Tivo's they own.
Where I am at Comcast is still letting people have the converter box that lets their non digital devices connect to the digital signal. They were free for the past year but starting today they are charging a $2 fee to have them.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
lpwcomp

Quote:
It seems I have been believing what a lot of other people have posted in other threads. I took what I read about 1st cable card is free according to FCC to be the truth. I just spent the past 30 minutes trying to prove that fact. Turns out I could not find anything to prove it. So as some one else has posted it must be just Comcast doing that.
According to Comcast's official price sheet, there is no charge for the first card in a device. You should only incur a specific CableCARD charge if you have more than one card in the same device. I have three CableCARD using TiVos (a THD and Two Premieres) with one m-card in each one and no CableCARD charges on my account. Where Comcast gets you is their ridiculous "Additional Digital Outlet" fees.

Comcast was also recently been granted a waiver which allows them to encrypt all channels, even locals. Once they start doing that, no more clear QAM so you will need a box or CableCARD everywhere, which they will eventually be able to charge for.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #39
SNJpage1

Ipwcomp, are you getting the deduction for providing your own device? I get a deduction of $2.95 a month for my Tivo. They call it "cable card digital equipment credit. I also just checked and I am not being charged for a second card since I have a multi stream card.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #40
lpwcomp

My bill is...complicated. I have a currently reduced rate for the package, 3 "Additional Digital outlet fees" (I have one of their boxes feeding a PLS TiVo 2), a couple of "customer owned equipment" credits, and one credit that appears to be based on having a cable card rather than their equipment. Typical Comcast mess.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #41
tough joe

Quote:
I'm not sure why you need to buy two new Tivo's. The set up you have now will go from 6 tuners to 4 tuners, with the TivoHD getting a cable card and the ser2 each losing one channel, while being hooked to two digital cable boxes. So you would only need to buy one Tivo HD or a premier. When I had a ser2 I had it connected to a digital cable box and used a cord that came with the Tivo to connect the TiVo ser2 to the cable box for changing channels.
honestly, i need 6 tuners. seems like i'll be going to 10 tuners by the time im done, 2 elites at 4 tuners each and the tivo hd with 2 tuners. i work from 6pm to 2 am. so everything i want to watch must be recorded. no choice. but salary is great, so no complaints. it will be pricey, but then again they should hold most of their value for a few years.

the 1 crt tv has series 2. the other 2 hdtv's use the 2nd series 2 and the tivo hd.

one question, will i need 2 cablecards for the tivo hd? there are two slots... so im guessing i need 2 cablecards - (1 for each tuner in the tivohd?) so im guessing i'll need 2 cablecards for each premier as well ? m card, s card, does it matter? if i get 2 m cards, does that alleviate my need to 2 scards in the tiviohd? is it the same in the premiers?
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
one question, will i need 2 cablecards for the tivo hd? there are two slots... so im guessing i need 2 cablecards - (1 for each tuner in the tivohd?) so im guessing i'll need 2 cablecards for each premier as well ? m card, s card, does it matter? if i get 2 m cards, does that alleviate my need to 2 scards in the tiviohd? is it the same in the premiers?
No, the model of TiVo HD you have is the same one I have. While it will work with 2 s-cards, it only needs one m-card, which is all the cable companies are supposed to issue unless s-cards are specifically requested. An m-card can support up to 6 streams so you only need one for each Premiere as well, which is a good thing since they only have one CableCARD slot.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No, the model of TiVo HD you have is the same one I have. While it will work with 2 s-cards, it only needs one m-card, which is all the cable companies are supposed to issue unless s-cards are specifically requested. An m-card can support up to 6 streams so you only need one for each Premiere as well, which is a good thing since they only have one CableCARD slot.
but im still only limited to 2 tuners on the tivohd, even if i have 2 m-cards installed?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
lpwcomp

Quote:
but im still only limited to 2 tuners on the tivohd, even if i have 2 m-cards installed?
Correct. CableCARDs are not tuners.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #45
tough joe

Quote:
Correct. CableCARDs are not tuners.
Thanks so much for everything lpwcomp.. you've been a rockstar here. i may be back with another ? or 2. lol
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #46
SNJpage1

Since you said you have money to spend on this, would building a computer to do all of this be possible? Maybe some of the people who post on here could come up with a suggestion on how that might work.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #47
ajwees41

Quote:
no they don't cable companies can charge for the cable cards. There is no FCC rule unless it's part of a package.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #48
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
no they don't cable companies can charge for the cable cards. There is no FCC rule unless it's part of a package.
Got some serious post lag there. You might wanna have that checked out.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #49
tough joe

Quote:
Since you said you have money to spend on this, would building a computer to do all of this be possible? Maybe some of the people who post on here could come up with a suggestion on how that might work.
Not interested in a pc-dvr option. It wont be user friendly with other users in the household. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #50
tough joe

Quote:
Just got my first cablecard for the TivoHD - and it was not free. In fact, they said I could not just get a $2 cablecard, I needed to get the "digital pack" for $12.95 which includes the $2 cablecard. So here I am... paying more for something I did not want or need. Also just ordered the Premier 4xl. Will set that up next week when its delivered.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #51
ajwees41

Quote:
Ipwcomp, are you getting the deduction for providing your own device? I get a deduction of $2.95 a month for my Tivo. They call it "cable card digital equipment credit. I also just checked and I am not being charged for a second card since I have a multi stream card.
why would they give you credit for providing your own box?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #52
lpwcomp

Quote:
why would they give you credit for providing your own box?
Because of this:
Quote:
Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
ajwees41

Quote:
Because of this:
not all companies offer package deals
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
lpwcomp

Quote:
not all companies offer package deals
Exactly how is that relevant? You asked a question, I answered.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #55
ajwees41

Quote:
Exactly how is that relevant? You asked a question, I answered.
Because not all companies offer hardware in the package deal like you mentioned, so the OP might not get the 1st CC free. and others might see the post and argue with the cable company for a free CC when they don't have a package deal like comcast does.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #56
lpwcomp

Quote:
Because not all companies offer hardware in the package deal like you mentioned, so the OP might not get the 1st CC free. and others might see the post and argue with the cable company for a free CC when they don't have a package deal like comcast does.
This has nothing to do with whether or not the CableCARD is free, which I never implied that it would or should be, except from Comcast. The "customer owned equipment credit" is a totally separate issue. Unless you have specific data indicating otherwise, I will continue to assume that most if not all cable providers include at least one box of some kind in any of their digital packages.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #57
ajwees41

Quote:
This has nothing to do with whether or not the CableCARD is free, which I never implied that it would or should be, except from Comcast. The "customer owned equipment credit" is a totally separate issue. Unless you have specific data indicating otherwise, I will continue to assume that most if not all cable providers include at least one box of some kind in any of their digital packages.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/omaha...n_r_tv_pricing

Cox does not offer package that includes hardware pricing nor give a customer owned credit.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #58
lpwcomp

Quote:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/omaha...n_r_tv_pricing

Cox does not offer package that includes hardware pricing nor give a customer owned credit.
I stand (or sit) corrected. However, it still does not negate my answer to your question as to "why" "they" (a cable company) would give someone a customer owned equipment credit. BTW, I would be thrilled if Comcast charges were like those of Cox. While Comcast does not charge me specifically for the CableCARDs, they do charge me $9.95/mo - $2.50/mo for each "additional digital outlet". The most recent such charge was added the day I picked up the card even though I didn't actually activate it until more than a month later.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #59
tough joe

unless i lost my mind, the new digital does not allow me to control the quality of recording? no more best, high, medium, basic etc... ? what is the default?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
lpwcomp

Quote:
unless i lost my mind, the new digital does not allow me to control the quality of recording? no more best, high, medium, basic etc... ? what is the default?
There is no default for recording of digital sources. It records whatever the cable company/local broadcaster sends.