TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
ghiggz

New TiVo rumors?

Hey all, I'm getting ready to ditch my Comcast HD DVR for a TiVo, but before I do, I wanted to check and make sure now is a good time to buy. Has anyone heard any even remotely credible leaks about new TiVo models on the horizon? How far into the product cycle are we exactly? Will we see the equivalent of a series 5 TiVO in 2013?
ghiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
rainwater

I would imagine we will see a XL6 with 6 tuners that will replace the XL4. This makes much more sense considering they are supposed to be releasing the TiVo Mini to support streaming live tv from the main TiVo. Whether or not the new box will be a new gen box or not is unknown. I think the Premiere platform is here to stay for a while but they could introduce beefier hardware in a new box. Of course all this is speculation as no one knows but TiVo at this point.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
lpwcomp

One wonders if they will add support for larger and or AF hard drives.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

An extender called the Tivo Mini coming as early as March. Requires a 4-tuner Tivo. It streams recordings and can hijack a tuner from the DVR to watch live TV on it.

We're 3 years into the Premiere lifespan. We're getting closer to a new generation, but we can't really peg a timeframe yet.

There are talks about a 6-tuner model. We don't know if this will be part of the Premiere lineup or a new "Series 5" lineup. But the running theory is that the release would likely be in the fall in either case. Six tuners sounds like a lot, but it makes more sense if you were to use it in conjunction with a Mini or two.

An updated bluetooth slide remote with keyboard coming at some point.

Don't know if you've been keeping up with the current accessories, but there's also the Tivo Stream, which lets you stream recordings (and pseudo-live TV) to iDevices, with android support coming someday (again no timeframe). It streams content only within the home. But if the recording is not copy protected, it can be copied to the device as well, so you can watch it when on the move.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

OK, I'll start one!

TiVo Premiere Deluxe coming by Christmas 2014.

It will have 6 tuners, digital cable and OTA compatible with tuning adapter capability built in.
Wireless and MOCA connections built in.
Base model will be 2TB, with 3 & 4 TB models to be introduced following.
Price TBD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
jcthorne

If the current line is the Tivo Premiere, would not the next gen lineup be.....

The Tivo Encore?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
Hey all, I'm getting ready to ditch my Comcast HD DVR for a TiVo, but before I do, I wanted to check and make sure now is a good time to buy. Has anyone heard any even remotely credible leaks about new TiVo models on the horizon? How far into the product cycle are we exactly? Will we see the equivalent of a series 5 TiVO in 2013?
If you are considering TiVo, just buy it. DO NOT wait for ANYTHING to come out. TiVo development is MINDNUMBINGLY SLOOOOOOOOW. Anything you hear that is "coming" is a LOOOOOOOOOOOng ways off. The XL6 is coming, and so is the Mini, but also is the Zombie Apocalypse.

Feel free to think I am joking, but you'll see for yourself.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
An extender called the Tivo Mini coming as early as March. Requires a 4-tuner Tivo. It streams recordings and can hijack a tuner from the DVR to watch live TV on it.

We're 3 years into the Premiere lifespan. We're getting closer to a new generation, but we can't really peg a timeframe yet.

There are talks about a 6-tuner model. We don't know if this will be part of the Premiere lineup or a new "Series 5" lineup. But the running theory is that the release would likely be in the fall in either case. Six tuners sounds like a lot, but it makes more sense if you were to use it in conjunction with a Mini or two.

An updated bluetooth slide remote with keyboard coming at some point.

Don't know if you've been keeping up with the current accessories, but there's also the Tivo Stream, which lets you stream recordings (and pseudo-live TV) to iDevices, with android support coming someday (again no timeframe). It streams content only within the home. But if the recording is not copy protected, it can be copied to the device as well, so you can watch it when on the move.
"Fall" when? Surely you mean Fall 2017.......
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Well as long as we are going to start (make up?) rumors I have one:

FCC is going to grow a pair and mandate universal software solution for all pay TV providers.

Then TiVo is going to release their Series 5 solution which breaks the traditional DVR into 3 parts, a central control unit, storage, and tuners. You buy the central control unit, what ever size storage you want, and what ever tuners you want, they have 3 & 6 tuner, OTA, Cable, IP, Dish, & Direct units available and your can mix and match them and the central control unit can record up to 6 channels at once.

The central control unit can stream content to any screen you want via a mini for TVs and software for all phones, tablets, and computers and can stream to 6 devices at once. You can also fully control the central control unit and access "live" TV on any tuners from the minis and the phone/tablet/computer software.

Everything is going to be available this fall.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well as long as we are going to start (make up?) rumors I have one:

FCC is going to grow a pair and mandate universal software solution for all pay TV providers.

Then TiVo is going to release their Series 5 solution which breaks the traditional DVR into 3 parts, a central control unit, storage, and tuners. You buy the central control unit, what ever size storage you want, and what ever tuners you want, they have 3 & 6 tuner, OTA, Cable, IP, Dish, & Direct units available and your can mix and match them and the central control unit can record up to 6 channels at once.

The central control unit can stream content to any screen you want via a mini for TVs and software for all phones, tablets, and computers and can stream to 6 devices at once. You can also fully control the central control unit and access "live" TV on any tuners from the minis and the phone/tablet/computer software.

Everything is going to be available this fall.
This is just as realistic as the TiVo Mini being released March 2013.

TiVo should rename the company to "Fantasy Island".
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
This is just as realistic as the TiVo Mini being released March 2013.

Threadcrap much?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

The S3 OLED supports M Cards just fine....I used them in mine....you just have to use two of them....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Threadcrap much?
In exact proportion to my disappointment in this company to deliver fully-functional products. It's just unbelieveable.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
klj
Tivo Challenged

Quote:
it's been a cold, rainy miserable day here. for some reason this made me crack up.. thanks!!
klj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj View Post
it's been a cold, rainy miserable day here. for some reason this made me crack up.. thanks!!
No, they should rename it SONY...you know, as in "Soon Only Not Yet!" OH, I heard than name has been taken.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
An extender called the Tivo Mini coming as early as March. Requires a 4-tuner Tivo.
Isn't the correct way to state it that at *first* it will require a 4 tuner Tivo Premiere?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Isn't the correct way to state it that at *first* it will require a 4 tuner Tivo Premiere?
Yeah, "requires a 4-tuner Tivo indefinitely", if you want to get specific, since heck knows when the necessary update will finally make it to product.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
In exact proportion to my disappointment in this company to deliver fully-functional products. It's just unbelieveable.
Tivo Premieres are fully functional DVRs, they're just not the 'one box' that their spinmeisters promised 3 years ago.

We all agree that the Mini is way behind schedule but as Zatz pointed out this is more political than technical, the tuner allocation issue notwithstanding.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Tivo Premieres are fully functional DVRs, they're just not the 'one box' that their spinmeisters promised 3 years ago.

We all agree that the Mini is way behind schedule but as Zatz pointed out this is more political than technical, the tuner allocation issue notwithstanding.
The Premiere's are fully-functional today, but not at first when they launched. They were PLAGUED with HDUI problems upon release. I believe it was just the recent fall update that finally made the YouTube "bearable".

The Stream is not. How long has it been out already? Still no Android support.

Even the TiVo app for cell phones was Apple-only for how long before they released the Android version?

It's reasons like this that I say that everything TiVo does is "half-baked".

Their entire production and development is a catch-22. They take forever to develop and implement new products to the marketplace, and when they do, they always are missing something. That starts the debate amongst TCF people about either:

1) "be patient and let them thoroughly test and get it to market"
OR
2) "what the heck is taking you people so long to get this done"

So, it seems that TiVo gets their new products to market because their development is so mind-numbingly slow, and then takes another 4 years for them to work out all the bugs.

As much as I'd like a Mini (good luck to us all), I would have rather have had them keep their collective mouths shut about new products, get the multiplatform support completed for the Stream, then devote all resources to the Mini and its dynamic tuner allocation, then work on a next generation box. Nevermind the fact that they are going to "unsell" more of the Minis (to people like me) than they actually "sell" now that we know there will be a subscription or a service agreement for it. Those of us "in the know" (WINK) will just get another used DVR instead of a Mini.

But, I get the feeling that good old scatter-brained TiVo leadership has already started pulling engineering resources from the still incomplete Stream, and incomplete and unreleased Mini in order to start working on their next-gen box. I would expect nothing less.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD

Last edited by NotNowChief : 01-29-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
atmuscarella

My advise for those that think TiVo DVRs suck is to not buy one. Enjoy the piece of sh** your cable provider rents you and watch live TV.

The reality is there is one and only one company selling stand alone cable DVR appliances and it is TiVo. TiVo has continued to improve it's products over time and it is likely they will continue to do so. From the recent CNN Money article:
In the past nine months, TiVo has spent $88.5 billion on research and development, equal to 41% of its total revenue in the period.
We assume the billion is a typo and should be million but the reality is that spending 41% of revenue on research and development it indicates they are continue to improve products and develop new ones. Tivo is a small company in a niche market "progress" is limited by the reality of the limited market they are in.

If anyone would like to really see what the state of stand alone DVRs could be just check out the Over The Air (OTA) alternative DVRs out there and then come back and tell me how bad TiVo is or how slow they are improving.

Does the above mean I am happy with TiVo's current offerings or rate of improvement/development of course not. But I understand reality.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I agree with what you are saying about the cablco DVRs. They are horrible, and TiVo is WAAAAAAY better. I also understand its a niche market they are in. I understand the reality of it, believe me.

However, at this point, I am more, like, "SERIOUSLY? COME. ON." All of those BILLIONS (or millions) of dollars and they can't straighten out their stuff?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
lessd

The situation with TiVo and their product development is simple, if a better alterative for your DVR needs is out there, purchase it, TiVos product development is the process used for many products from a small co., get the product out and give improvements over time so revenues don't drop too far.
If one type of car was the best for all, we would not have the large number of car models to choose from.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The situation with TiVo and their product development is simple, if a better alterative for your DVR needs is out there, purchase it
Well that's the crux of the biscuit, isn't it? Tivo's product dev (or lack thereof) is mainly due to no one really pushing them to make it better because they've sued everyone else into submission, and/or partnered with cable to keep it 'just good enough'. So there isn't another one out there to purchase.

Cable doesn't want them making a kick-ass alternative and they want to keep cable happy, so...
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
DaveDFW

Quote:
But, I get the feeling that good old scatter-brained TiVo leadership has already started pulling engineering resources from the still incomplete Stream, and incomplete and unreleased Mini in order to start working on their next-gen box. I would expect nothing less.
This!
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
billbillw

Nothing at CES other than the Tivo Mini, so I would say that means at least 2 years until something else comes along.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #26
DaveDFW

I'd also add that I wouldn't get too excited about a Tivo six-tuner box. They can't even get their four-tuner boxes to work reliably.

What's the point of two more nonworking tuners?
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I'd also add that I wouldn't get too excited about a Tivo six-tuner box. They can't even get their four-tuner boxes to work reliably.

What's the point of two more nonworking tuners?
My two Elites and my two tuner Premiere has been very reliable. I would love to get a six tuner model and a couple of mini TiVos and go from three cable cards to one.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
opus123

Quote:
Well that's the crux of the biscuit, isn't it? Tivo's product dev (or lack thereof) is mainly due to no one really pushing them to make it better because they've sued everyone else into submission, and/or partnered with cable to keep it 'just good enough'. So there isn't another one out there to purchase.

Cable doesn't want them making a kick-ass alternative and they want to keep cable happy, so...
BINGO... Since Microsoft abandoned Ultimate TV, and Steve Jobs was never interested in TV (until he was months away from passing), TiVo hasn't had ANYONE pushing them to innovate.

They had an incredible idea, but haven't done much since. Ignorant people became overly cost conscious at the added benefit, and TiVo's limited scale couldn't bring down the cost of hardware, so the business stagnated... and TiVo milked as much as possible from the existing install base with mildly incremental updates to keep themselves afloat.

I completely understand the economic realities, but some of the hardware & connectivity limitations are laughable by the standards held to most any other company (still no built in wifi? really? every $49 Roku has one). The truth is no company is approaching "TV" like Apple did mobile phones in 2007; however, almost all of the usual suspects (MS, Google, AAPL, Samsung?, Amazon?) expanding peripheral influence are encroaching on the spot TiVo is supposed to hold. I'm guessing TiVo just wants to hold out long enough to become an attractive buy-out target for their intellectual property when the opportunity presents itself... but that that company may just decide to build a better mousetrap themselves and leave TiVo to become the next Kodak.

Last edited by opus123 : 04-13-2013 at 06:54 PM.
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
This is why I STILL believe the next wave of TiVos will NOT have antenna/OTA support. I think it will strictly be a six tuner (or possibly more), digital cable only model. I know several here have stated that TiVo has filed something with the FCC for an OTA license of some kind & this is why they will have it in the new hardware, but I have a bad feeling that this will be abandoned cause like biscuit mentioned, "they want to keep cable happy" & they are still their true bread and butter in terms of users. Yea, OTA use is on the rise these days and the whole tv viewing model is changing, but still not where it could be to totally over take cable in terms of a money making business model.

I really hope I am wrong on this, but only time will tell.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-15-2013 at 09:17 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Bigg

My guess is a 4-tuner OTA model and a 6-tuner cable model. And the XL maybe only available on the cable side?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote