TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Smash "On Broadway" (S2E1) - available on internet

The first hour of the two-hour Smash season 2 premiere (technically the first of two episodes that air the first night; they are separate episodes) is available on NBC.com:
http://www.nbc.com/smash/video/on-broadway/n31452/
It may also be available via other sources as well.

It premieres on the air Tuesday, Feb. 5 at 9/8 Central.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

looking forward to when the TiVo picks it up so I can watch it on my TV. I have plenty of stuff to watch in the meantime.

Based on the previews/commercials I have seen over the past few weeks, it seems that..

Spoiler:
The Marilyn Monroe thing is over and they have moved onto something else. Is that right? or are they just not showing us any of it for some reason?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
looking forward to when the TiVo picks it up so I can watch it on my TV. I have plenty of stuff to watch in the meantime.

Based on the previews/commercials I have seen over the past few weeks, it seems that..

Spoiler:
The Marilyn Monroe thing is over and they have moved onto something else. Is that right? or are they just not showing us any of it for some reason?
Spoilers for this episode (tagged, since I didn't tag the thread...):
Spoiler:
Bombshell prepares to move from the Boston previews to the St. James Theater on Broadway, when Eileen's estranged ex launches a plan that leads the feds to investigate the source of the funding for the show. As a result, the show and everything associated with it gets frozen.

It is likely they'll get back to the show eventually, somehow, but until then everyone is off doing something else.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

thanks!!! that explains that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Other spoilers for this episode:
Spoiler:
This episode addresses some of the criticisms of the show, and some of the loose ends that resulted from the behind the scenes changes over the summer. For instance, Julia's [Debra Messing] marriage finally crashes and burns, which allows them to write out her husband [Brian D'arcy James] and son. (D'Arcy James appears in this episode, but is only expected to be a very occasional guest star through the rest of the season.)

Michael Swift [Will Chase] is similarly written out in this episode in a single line of dialogue. It is said that Michael asked to be released from contract, since he was only doing the show as a favor. Similarly, there's an oblique line of dialogue referencing much hated character Ellis [Jamie Cepero]. Neither appear in the episode, nor are expected to return at all.

They also address some of the real-life criticism of some of the songs from the show in storyline. The in-storyline critics compliment Tom's [Christian Borle] music, but soundly and uniformly criticize Julia's lyrics.

There are two original songs in this episode; one from Bombshell, one not. There also are two covers, the Crowded House hit "Don't Dream It's Over" and the Leiber/Stoller song "On Broadway," most famously performed by George Benson.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Interesting article looking behind the scenes at Smash, it's much ridiculed first season, and what season 2 might bring:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/...st-train-wreck

I'm still not completely convinced that the show was that big of a train wreck. There definitely were huge, huge issues (primarily, the adoption storyline that was an unwelcome sidetrack, Ellis becoming a wholly loathsome character and a rather comic book-like villain, and the actor who played the son that couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag). Still, the basic idea of two young actresses competing for a role on a developing Broadway show was still reasonably interesting to watch. And sadly, I think even at it's worst it was still a more redeeming show than Glee, and I actually still liked last season of Glee. I think the fact that it seems most of the issues are corrected for in the first hour is definitely promising for the season.

The interesting question: will people who loved the promise, if not the execution, of the first season come back? Will they retain the "hate-watchers" or will they get bored and wander off to hate-watch something else? Simply put: will they be able to get enough of an audience?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

it had it's issues, but IMHO, all were easily correctable. The basic premise is good. And the GOOD characters and actors in the show are really good. It's just a matter of cutting off some fat and moldy bits.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
They also address some of the real-life criticism of some of the songs from the show in storyline.
I thought the Bombshell songs were great. I still get chills on the key change in Don't Forget Me.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I thought the Bombshell songs were great. I still get chills on the key change in Don't Forget Me.
There were a lot of people who criticized the lyrics (other than "Let Me Be Your Star") as somewhat trite and cliched. I wouldn't count myself among them, but it was a loud enough criticism that the show apparently took notice.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
And the GOOD characters and actors in the show are really good.
Which characters (other than Karen) were those?

I swear that if they have Derrick and Karen "fall in wuuuvvvv" this season, I will vomit and delete my SP.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote