TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Ebuddy

No TiVo Wallpaper

Hey there!

Though I rarely post, I've been around for several years. Don't let the join date fool you, I had forgotten my user ID and password from way back and the email address that I used has long since been deleted so I had to re-register.

So my TiVo HD's (TCD652160) hard drive failed and I replaced it (perhaps temporarily) with a 250GB one that seems to be working OK. The darndest thing has happened however that occurred on the old drive and I am now seeing on the new drive. As the old one began to fail, I would get stuttering vidoe, pixelated recordings and all the usual symptoms. The other odd issue that I had is that when I went to TiVo Central, I could see (and navigate) the menu, but the background was the current channel broadcast and not the blue (I think) wallpaper.

Having replaced the drive, the pixelation and stuttering are gone but the lack of wallpaper/background persists. The TiVo, in every other way seems to be functioning perfectly normal.

I'd consider this little more than an annoyance, but it's often rather hard to read the menus. Any ideas?
Ebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Check your power supply for bulging capacitors.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

How did you prepare that 250GB hard drive?

If you copied from your failing original, you could have copied over some corruption.

You might try preparing the 250GB with a fresh image.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
How did you prepare that 250GB hard drive?

If you copied from your failing original, you could have copied over some corruption.

You might try preparing the 250GB with a fresh image.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301
I've never used any KickStarts, but doesn't one of them revert to the previous version of the TiVo software (before your last software update)? If the suspected corruption is in whatever partitions are swapped by that KS procedure, that KS might fix it. The TiVo would then update again from their servers. Or if the corruption is in some data partition that isn't swapped by the KS procedure, shouldn't a "Clear and delete everything" get rid of it? OP: Whatever you do to solve this, please post back here.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Ebuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I've never used any KickStarts, but doesn't one of them revert to the previous version of the TiVo software (before your last software update)? If the suspected corruption is in whatever partitions are swapped by that KS procedure, that KS might fix it. The TiVo would then update again from their servers. Or if the corruption is in some data partition that isn't swapped by the KS procedure, shouldn't a "Clear and delete everything" get rid of it? OP: Whatever you do to solve this, please post back here.
I wondered about copying bad data as I did use my old drive as the source. It looked like I was able to retain my recordings but alas, they looked like they were there but when I went to play them, I got the "blank channel" message.

So I will first try the Clear and delete everything option and if that doesn't work I will push out a blank image (thank you for the link, by the way). I will let you all know what happens.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuddy View Post
I wondered about copying bad data as I did use my old drive as the source. It looked like I was able to retain my recordings but alas, they looked like they were there but when I went to play them, I got the "blank channel" message.

So I will first try the Clear and delete everything option and if that doesn't work I will push out a blank image (thank you for the link, by the way). I will let you all know what happens.
The link was courtesy of steve614, of course. I just quoted him.

I think when you used your old drive as the source you should have retained your recordings. Did you follow the procedures in this thread for upgrading a TiVo HD using JMFS?
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Ebuddy

I used WinMFS and it seemed to work perfectly. Losing the recordings isn't the end of the world.

So I tried "Clear and delete everything" and all went well except the background was grey and I think it's supposed to be blue or green. After the set up was complete, I didn't get the little TiVo movie that I think you're supposed to get. Instead, I just had a grey screen. When I pressed the TiVo button after a few minutes I briefly saw the TiVo menu and the unit restarted. I can only conclude that I did indeed copy corrupt files and I'll have to resort to an image and see if that does the trick.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Ebuddy

***UPDATE***

Installed a different drive (same make and model) that had a fresh image on it and now everything seems to be functioning properly. WOO-HOO

Just one, follow up question. Since this was a bit of an "emergency" situation, the drive I used is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (250GB) (ST3250318AS). It seems to meet all the required specs for a TiVo but I was wondering if someone with a little more knowledge and experience can weigh in on this...