TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Neilson Says Most People Still Watch TV Live

Having a hard time believing this:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...source=twitter

It may be that most people are pretty stupid given that the well-written thoughtful programs get cancelled and bubblegum reality programming gets ratings.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
NYHeel

Good. We need people dumb enough to watch live tv to maintain the system we have now where I can record and skip commercials without having to pay for every show I watch.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
moyekj

I think it's good. Let them subsidize the current model while we enjoy the benefits of time shifting and commercial skipping. Without such people the price of TV and the growth of in-program advertising would be advanced well beyond what they currently are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think it's good. Let them subsidize the current model while we enjoy the benefits of time shifting and commercial skipping. Without such people the price of TV and the growth of in-program advertising would be advanced well beyond what they currently are.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
It may be that most people are pretty stupid given that the well-written thoughtful programs get cancelled and bubblegum reality programming gets ratings.
I've read claims that Nielsen throws out "unusual" program diaries. If indeed Nielsen ignores outlier data that could explain what we see in the ratings.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Good. We need people dumb enough to watch live tv to maintain the system we have now where I can record and skip commercials without having to pay for every show I watch.
Exactly.
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
h0mi

I've seen other reports that do not contradict this but my recollection was that the rate of live watching wasn't quite so high. Regardless, it does demonstrate that efforts to "change the way we watch TV" is going to be significantly difficult. And it makes me wonder how is it so many people end up running out of HDD space on DVRs if they don't seem to use it?
h0mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

You guys are making too much sense. I knew the smart people own a Tivo.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
innocentfreak

I am assuming they included sporting events and award shows which would skew the results.

I bet they also didn't do any followup questions as to why people what live.

I think it is probably less about being stupid, and more about people not changing their habits. The MSO DVRs don't help with that either. While they have improved, I wouldn't be surprised to find most people don't rely on them especially when you factor in the limited recording space.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I think it is probably less about being stupid, and more about people not changing their habits.
Marketing doesn't help. Pushing "pause live" is the least useful reason to own a DVR. For me, time shifting is why I own a DVR, and I don't see DVR ads mentioning that, probably because content owners prefer you watch live.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
I think it is probably less about being stupid, and more about people not changing their habits.
There is a difference? By definition a habit involves conditioned behavior, rather than intellectual effort, so the definiton gets us half-way there. Add in a failure to examine one's repetative actions for avenues that will makes them more effective or efficient and I submit you have the very definition of a large branch of that which constitutes stupidity.

Quote:
The MSO DVRs don't help with that either. While they have improved, I wouldn't be surprised to find most people don't rely on them especially when you factor in the limited recording space.
And their pathetic capabilities, yes.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak;
think it is probably less about being stupid, and more about people not changing their habits. The MSO DVRs don't help with that either. While they have improved, I wouldn't be surprised to find most people don't rely on them especially when you factor in the limited recording space.

I have a very intelligent friend (literally a former rocket scientist) who just got HD programming with an HDTV last month and got the DVR because it was included for free in the package. This guy is also a big sports fan. I would have expected to get these things at least 4 years ago. His whole attitude was, "meh." They are also fairly well off so it was never really about the money.

My first reaction to the Neilson statement was surprise, but then I thought about it some and I am not. I think our first reaction is to think that everybody is like us. I use a DVR so everybody else must. But no everybody is not like me and as I am learning they are probably a lot different.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
All they are saying, if we're smart enough to figure it out, is that a bunch of Nielsen families are still watching Live TV. They are also, in a roundabout way, saying that they (Nielsen) are too dumb to add DVR users into their surveys in any real, meaningful way.

( Not exactly what they've said, and they'd surely deny saying anything close to this, but really, that is the heart of the issue here. If Nielsen wasn't stuck back in the stone ages on how they monitor what people watch they might deliver better results to the networks and programmers and we might see programs that are actually being watched accounted for as opposed to just being stuck with the dreck that a few Nielsen families have watched somewhere along the way )
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

I have a very intelligent friend (literally a former rocket scientist) who just got HD programming with an HDTV last month and got the DVR because it was included for free in the package. This guy is also a big sports fan. I would have expected to get these things at least 4 years ago. His whole attitude was, "meh." They are also fairly well off so it was never really about the money.

My first reaction to the Neilson statement was surprise, but then I thought about it some and I am not. I think our first reaction is to think that everybody is like us. I use a DVR so everybody else must. But no everybody is not like me and as I am learning they are probably a lot different.
We are definitely not the norm here. I still run into people that are amazed at getting their first surround system, yet I setup my first surround system in 1992. And the same goes for the DVR. I see more and more people getting them for the first time but for me it was 2001 when I got my first DVR. It is certainly a rarity for me to watch live TV.

Whether an awards show or a sports game, I see no compelling reason to watch it live. In those instances I will delay my watching for a while so I can skip over the commercials so I will still watch it the same day it airs, but not live. I see no reason to sit through 20+ minutes of commercials every hour. But apparently alot of people still have no issue watching live. I've been time shifting my TV watching since 1984 and I could not imagine going back to watching live TV.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I think it's even more than just DVR's and live TV now though. We also have On Demand and online streaming. I watched the season premiere of Shameless the other night online. I was wondering how Showtime would count my viewing since it wouldn't be part of any traditional rating system. I realize it matters much less since it's a cable show but there will still be this arbitrary number of X people watched the season premiere that won't be entirely accurate.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
tomhorsley

I do watch sports live (mostly) because it seems so pointless to watch after the fact (but I almost always turn the sound off so as not to be annoyed by the announcers). Regular TV shows though, I always record so I can fast forward past the commercials. I can't take live TV that has zero incentive to actually watch live. The one sports event I do record is the superbowl. I've found if I start watching the recording at about halftime, and I skip all the blather when nothing is happening or the network is wedging in twice as many commercials as normal, then I can be catching up with live action right as the game is almost done.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I do watch sports live (mostly) because it seems so pointless to watch after the fact...
I hear this all the time, but I'm really curious, why? As long as you don't know anything about the result, what's the difference? Is it because you feel somehow by watching it live you can make a difference? Why suffer the aggravation of so many commercials? I'm not criticizing, just genuinely want to know why. Personally I find sports watching so much enjoyable without the commercials. For many games I would rather not watch at all than have to suffer through commercials. Typically I'll let a game record long enough so that I can watch the whole game without commercials, and it is almost always same day and mostly while still recording. Very often I'll get very close to catching up to the live airing towards the end of the game.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Some people just aren't into TV like we are.
There are still a lot of people (like my parents) who probably wouldn't use a DVR even if they were provided one for 'free'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
All they are saying, if we're smart enough to figure it out, is that a bunch of Nielsen families are still watching Live TV. They are also, in a roundabout way, saying that they (Nielsen) are too dumb to add DVR users into their surveys in any real, meaningful way.

( Not exactly what they've said, and they'd surely deny saying anything close to this, but really, that is the heart of the issue here. If Nielsen wasn't stuck back in the stone ages on how they monitor what people watch they might deliver better results to the networks and programmers and we might see programs that are actually being watched accounted for as opposed to just being stuck with the dreck that a few Nielsen families have watched somewhere along the way )
Adding DVR users into their surveys goes against what they want to accomplish. They only care about the advertiser money. If they were to add DVR ratings, it would skew the data they really care about because it is a given that DVR users can skip commercials.
Unfortunately, I think the only way they would agree to add in DVR ratings is if commercials were unskippable.
Which would you rather have: more meaningful TV programming or the ability to skip over the commercials?
You can only pick one.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If they were to add DVR ratings, it would skew the data they really care about because it is a given that DVR users can skip commercials.
If that's so then they must not observe the commercial viewing habits of actual viewers. My experience in observing television viewing habits is that commercial time isn't for watching commercials, it's for doing short tasks in between show segments. Getting food, going to the restroom, etc. Very few people bother to view commercials. If Nielsen believes that without the ability to skip commercials people won't skip commercials they're morons.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
stahta01
Simple Member

"Neilson Says Most Live People Still Watch TV Live"
FYT

But, what do most dead people watch?

My guess is Zombie marathons.

Tim S.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
h0mi

This was the Nielsen DVR report from sometime in 2010.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...dia-Report.pdf
h0mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Worf

I think you people are looking way too deep into this.

Basically, have you guys ever tried to use a cable DVR? The damned things just don't work. Timeshifting? Your VCR was more reliable - there's always a good chance that mysterious problems would keep it from recording, so your night out followed by a late night catchup? Could be gone in a flash.

And for those in stormier parts of the continent, they lose everything on power failure. So if you scheduled your favorite TV to record and the power blinks? All your To-Dos are gone.

Basically, the cable DVR is an unreliable POS. People probably got them and did all that at first, but the first power outage and having to manually reschedule all the recordings (because you can't set a season pass - it's either manually record the episode or all on all channels it seems) probably got tedious the third time around. And like I said, there's a chance it won't record, either, so you have to sit there and see if it starts recording.

Plus, when you can't reliably fast-forward or rewind, it takes just as long as the commercial break just to hit the end of the break, so people give up there as well.

Most TiVo users don't realize that having a DVR that "just damn works" isn't a given, and most cable DVRs are an exercise in frustration. At best, people I've observed maybe start programs 10 minutes late and then catch up. Because recording is just such a PITA chore.

Even since my cable went digital, I keep the TiVo around and weekly copy its to-do list to the DVR. Tedious as hell annoying, but it works (especially since I use Windows Media Center with an HD capture card controlling the cablebox - sorry, we don't have cablecard). The TiVo is more accurate, catches my schedules correctly, etc. If TiVo would make the scheduling part available as an app, I'd probably buy it. Or if I can could put in my programs and have it figure out a schedule to record so I can copy it back...

Neilson's just confirming what we all know - cable DVRs are nothing more than pieces of junk running junk software that requires extensive user maintenance in order to run. So much maintenance that it's easier just to watch the damn show live.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #23
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I hear this all the time, but I'm really curious, why?
I don't actually know why, but it just feels like a waste of time to watch a game when I know I could get on the internet and find out what happened already :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I don't actually know why, but it just feels like a waste of time to watch a game when I know I could get on the internet and find out what happened already :-).
Well then you must not live west of central time zone then, because that's true for a lot of TV programming besides sports.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #25
nrnoble

I don't even watch sports "Live" any more; I watch semi-live. Most often I start recording the sporting event, then start watching it about 20 minutes after it has started, this allows for commercial skipping and doing my own replays. During a Football game the networks have the extra time to show replays, but other sporting event such as basketball, they don't have extra time to show replays.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Having a hard time believing this
It's only hard to believe if you simply assume that your preferences and situation are universal. A good number of people don't even have the disposable income for a DVR solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is a difference?
Yes, there is. If you don't have a dictionary handy I'm sure you can find one online to reference. Even smart people are susceptible to habits. The word stupid gets used too often as a catch-all in situations where other words are more applicable.

Last edited by takeshi : 01-15-2013 at 07:26 AM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

And then there is this side of the coin:

CNET reporter resigns over CBS censorship (Re: Hopper with Sling product)

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...+Journalism%29
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
It's only hard to believe if you simply assume that your preferences and situation are universal.
I would be very surprised if you or I new anyone who has a preference for having to watch commercials over having the option to not watch them or has a preference for having to watch TV on their providers schedule over picking when they want to watch something. So yes it is hard to believe that most people would choose to watch "live" TV. All the people I know with DVRs do not watch Live TV; heck even some of the people I know without a DVR don't watch live TV - they use the Internet to time shift.

Quote:
A good number of people don't even have the disposable income for a DVR solution.
Really? Funny thing is that over 1/2 the households with pay TV also have a DVR: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2220571.html

Quote:
Yes, there is. If you don't have a dictionary handy I'm sure you can find one online to reference. Even smart people are susceptible to habits. The word stupid gets used too often as a catch-all in situations where other words are more applicable.
Well if someone has paid/is paying for a DVR and is still only/primarily watching live TV out of a habit I would also question their intelligence.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
allan
I survived the Mayan

Originally, I bought a DVR to watch shows that aired when I wasn't home. If I was home, I'd watch Live. I still often start watching a show live if it's on when I'm home and not doing anything else, but with commercials getting more annoying all the time, it doesn't take long for me to pause long enough to give myself a buffer. I think part of it is inertia, and as someone else said, some people might be stuck with an unreliable crap DVR and it's safer to watch live.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
I don't even watch sports "Live" any more; I watch semi-live. Most often I start recording the sporting event, then start watching it about 20 minutes after it has started, this allows for commercial skipping and doing my own replays. During a Football game the networks have the extra time to show replays, but other sporting event such as basketball, they don't have extra time to show replays.
There are a lot of things in football that I like to watch slow motion, and the broadcasters don't satisfy my need. I like to see the blocking and who was holding ( there is always holding on any running play )

I can't imagine watching all those commercials!! Doesn't that cause brain damage?

Last edited by replaytv : 01-15-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: to add last line
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote