TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
malayphred
Underpowered User

Ethernet cable splitter

My two boxes are close together and I an looking at hardwiring them to my wireless router, which is about 50' away.

I am hoping to be able to run from the boxes to a splitter and then from the splitter to my router with a single cable.

Is something like this possible, or will I have to run a separate cable from each box to the router?

Sorry if this sounds obtuse.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You need a network switch. The smallest is usually a 4-port. You plug each box into a port on the switch, then plug the long cord from the switch to the router.

Look for "4 port switch" or "network switch" on google.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
My two boxes are close together and I an looking at hardwiring them to my wireless router, which is about 50' away.

I am hoping to be able to run from the boxes to a splitter and then from the splitter to my router with a single cable.

Is something like this possible, or will I have to run a separate cable from each box to the router?

You'll need a 4 port ethernet switch at the tivos. 2 short ethernet runs from the switch to each of the tivos and one long ethernet run from the switch to the router.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
waterchange

Here's an 8 port switch at newegg.com for $9 shipped. Great reviews too.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
SNJpage1

They make an adapter that connects at each end of a cat 5 that turns it into two cat5's. They cost $16 a pair and are sold by Cyberguys.com. It will allow you to use one piece of cat5 to connect both boxes.

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...oss=SEARCH_SKU
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Bulldawg9908

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
They make an adapter that connects at each end of a cat 5 that turns it into two cat5's. They cost $16 a pair and are sold by Cyberguys.com. It will allow you to use one piece of cat5 to connect both boxes.

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...oss=SEARCH_SKU
This solution won't address his problem. Those have to be used in pairs. Plugging one of those into the router would either cause only one of the two cables to work or neither of the cables to work.

A switch is the way to go.

You'll need a total of three cables (sounds like two fairly short and one long cable) and one ethernet switch.

EDIT: I can't read today, so this post is completely wrong. See posts 8 and 9 below.

Last edited by Bulldawg9908 : 01-24-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Woops, I was wrong.
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post

As others have pointed out you need a switch usually 5 port devices that add 3 ports.

Another option is a 4 port wireless bridge, thus eliminating the long wire run from router to the TiVo's. There are an increasing number of options. I use a duel band router and two dlink dap-1522 both as bridges on the 5ghz band. These have gigabit ports and wireless N they will operate in the 2.4ghz band also
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg9908 View Post
This solution won't address his problem. Those have to be used in pairs. Plugging one of those into the router would either cause only one of the two cables to work or neither of the cables to work.
The splitter makes two ethernet runs. At the router side you connect two short ethernet cables. If the combined cable ends with a plug just change it with a gender changer...But it's not that complicated. You can just connect two pairs each from the 4 pair cable to pins 1-2 3-6 on two plugs or jacks at each end of the cable.

http://www.derose.net/steve/guides/wiring/
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 01-24-2013 at 06:48 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Bulldawg9908

You are right, I misread the OP's post, assuming that the router and one of the TiVos were close together and the other TiVo was distant. Apologies for the confusion.

The splitter will work. Just make sure to use them in pairs and follow the basic schematic found here:

(The patch panel is not required in your case.)
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Tobashadow

As stated before a network switch is what you want to use. I've bought two at under $8 each on amazon. Just run a wire to a location near one of the boxes and plug it into switch, then a short cable to one and a run to the other. I put a switch at both entertainment centers in my house. It makes adding devices easy and you can keep daisy chaining them as needed.

In my house the modem and router are in a room at the far end of the house in a room with a lower floor than the rest of the house. So from my router is one cable to center of the house with a switch then one cable from it to the other end of house to a switch and recently a N router in the last switch to add stronger wireless on that end of the house.

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
SNJpage1

My question is if you are going to be running a cat5 between the two locations why not just run a second cat5 at the same time?