TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
kturcotte

Come Back Offer

Just got an email from Tivo (tivo@info.tivo.com) that seems legit, but also too good to be true.
" As a former TiVo customer, you're eligible for an exclusive offer:
For just $49 you can sign up for a special One-Time Service Extension plan and never pay another cent for TiVo service. Take advantage of this amazing, limited-time offer today!

The One-Time Service Extension plan only applies to the DVR for which it was purchased. It cannot be transferred to another DVR.

Call 1-877-367-8486 today and mention the One-Time Service Extension offer.

Thank you, and we look forward to you returning to the TiVo family."

Am I reading this right? Lifetime service for only $49? And if it is legit, how exactly does Lifetime work? What happens if the DVR needs to be replaced? What if I upgrade?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Lifetime is for the unit...you can upgrade the unit (e.g., swap hard) and no problem. But you can't transfer lifetime (for no cost) to another box.

Can't comment on the veracity of the offer, but it does sound almost too good to be true...

Last edited by Bierboy : 01-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Just got an email from Tivo (tivo@info.tivo.com) that seems legit, but also too good to be true.
For just $49 you can sign up for a special One-Time Service Extension plan and never pay another cent for TiVo service. Take advantage of this amazing, limited-time offer today!

The One-Time Service Extension plan only applies to the DVR for which it was purchased. It cannot be transferred to another DVR.

Am I reading this right? Lifetime service for only $49? And if it is legit, how exactly does Lifetime work? What happens if the DVR needs to be replaced? What if I upgrade?
It does sound like an offer to put Product Lifetime Service on your current (presumably older) unit for $49 instead of the $99 that they have been offering. What model TiVo do you have?

If the unit ever needs to be replaced, TiVo would probably sell you a refurbished unit (same model) and transfer the lifetime to it for a fee, but that fee would probably be more than the $49. Of course you're not taking a lot of risk at that price. If you upgrade, you would have to buy lifetime (or pay monthly) for service on your new unit. That would be unrelated to this special offer.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
jcondon

I just got this email today too. I really like FIOS's multiroom PVR. But this might be worth doing at $49 even if I don't use my TIVO for another 10 months (Free multi room DVR for a year promotion).

I have the Tivo Premier (2 tuner device). Had service for about 2 years and canceled about 2+ months ago.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
tatergator1

That's the Tivo Customer Service number and it seems believable to me. Tivo has had numerous $99 lifetime offers to existing customers on old equipment.

I assume you have an old Series 2, or perhaps even a Series3/TivoHD that you cancelled some time ago. I could see this being a push by Tivo to increase subscriber numbers by re-activating old boxes for a "to good to pass up" price. Tivo gets $49 and can count you as a subscriber for a while and boost their user counts and you get the use of your old box back.

Lifetime service is tied to the box. If the box dies the day after you pay $49, you just lost $49. You take a risk that the box will survive long enough to feel like you got your money's worth. At $49, I'd be happy even if the box failed after 6 months. If it kept going for more than a year, I'd be over the moon. If you upgrade, you can not transfer lifetime. Tivo has only allowed Lifetime "Transfers" during rare promotions, and even then you had to fork over $199.

Ultimately, its up to you to decide if you want to pay $50 for service that last as long as the box is working. What model Tivo would you be re-activating?
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
tgrim1

Quote:

I came here to ask the same question. I just got the same email. Ive had Tivo for years with both OTA and cable and cancelled service (after they gave me a free 30 days) 2 months ago to go OTA with an HTPC. If this offer is true I could use this Tivo in the bedroom networked to the HTPC! Basically saves me money from getting a WDTV or Roku plus still have recording OTA capabilty.
I'll check back after the call.

Edit: Mine is a premier that I put a 2TB drive in.
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
kturcotte

I can confirm that it's real. I called Tivo, and asked them about the promo/deal, and after being put on hold for about 2 mins, was told Lifetime could be added to my Tivo Premiere (2 tuner, plus 2 OTA tuners) for $49. I agreed, and after hanging up, let me Tivo connect, and it did say Lifetime was activated under Information.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
tluxon

Quote:
I can confirm that it's real. I called Tivo, and asked them about the promo/deal, and after being put on hold for about 2 mins, was told Lifetime could be added to my Tivo Premiere (2 tuner, plus 2 OTA tuners) for $49. I agreed, and after hanging up, let me Tivo connect, and it did say Lifetime was activated under Information.
How long had you not used your Premiere prior to getting the offer? Adding the $49 to what you paid to fulfill the original contract, do you figure you're saving anything compared to if you had gone lifetime from the start?

I'm looking at adding a Premiere to our network and this has got me wondering if it could possibly be as cost-effective to forego lifetime up front (like I did with our two TiVoHDs 5 years ago) and wait for a special offer like this.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
How long had you not used your Premiere prior to getting the offer? Adding the $49 to what you paid to fulfill the original contract, do you figure you're saving anything compared to if you had gone lifetime from the start?

I'm looking at adding a Premiere to our network and this has got me wondering if it could possibly be as cost-effective to forego lifetime up front (like I did with our two TiVoHDs 5 years ago) and wait for a special offer like this.
I will bet that you would need at least 2 years at the monthly rate, some TPs were sold for $0 and a 2 year commitment at about $20/month, so that would $480+$49 for a Lifetime TP, you could get the TP for about $60 or so some years ago + $400 for Lifetime, not much difference in total price.

I don't think you can take a TP for a few months at some monthly rate than get a $49 Lifetime offer.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
davezatz
Funkadelic

I spoke to a CSR who said the promo should be good for 30 days and only valid on deactivated units. Do I tempt fate and cancel service on the Premiere I was hoping to replace with a Mini and then try to get it?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
moyekj

I just tried this on a deactivated 2-tuner Premiere and my TSN did not qualify. The CSR said the reason it didn't qualify is because it's a series 4 unit and this offer is for series 3 units. Not sure how others in this thread are getting their Premiere's re-activated if that's the case. I then asked if there were any other promos for re-activation of series 4 units and there was nothing besides the $399 MSD lifetime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I just tried this on a deactivated 2-tuner Premiere and my TSN did not qualify. The CSR said the reason it didn't qualify is because it's a series 4 unit and this offer is for series 3 units. Not sure how others in this thread are getting their Premiere's re-activated if that's the case. I then asked if there were any other promos for re-activation of series 4 units and there was nothing besides the $399 MSD lifetime.
This makes sense on deactivated Series 3 units since they were already unofficially offering $99 lifetime on those units when someone upgraded to a new Premiere box. I wouldn't be shocked if this was also available on deactivated Series 4 units. This could result in a slight improvement in the churn numbers that will be reported for M/E Jan 2013 on TiVo's February 26th earnings release.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
MeInDallas

I just got this as well. Its for a Tivo that I had on contract for a year and then cancelled it after the year was up. I paid $14.99 a month for a year on this box, and I bought it from Electronics Expo when they had a sale for $49.99 with free shipping. That seems like such a huge loss for Tivo to go from $399 to $49 Lifetime on a Premiere box that was just used for a year.

Tivo Offer.jpg
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I just got this as well. Its for a Tivo that I had on contract for a year and then cancelled it after the year was up. I paid $14.99 a month for a year on this box, and I bought it from Electronics Expo when they had a sale for $49.99 with free shipping. That seems like such a huge loss for Tivo to go from $399 to $49 Lifetime on a Premiere box that was just used for a year.

Attachment 17981
This costs TiVo nothing. It will result in the TiVo-Owned ARPU dropping slightly since the $49 lifetime will likely be amortized across 66 months -- $0.74/mo. From a company perspective this turns a box that was producing zero revenue into something that is positive, reduces churn, opens up the advertising possibilities, and allows for additional revenue from On Demand, etc.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
moyekj

From what I was led to believe by CSR, if you don't get an email from TiVo then your TSN is not on the qualifying list. Can't hurt to call and try anyway like I did - it was a pretty quick phone call (under 10 minutes total).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
tgrim1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
This costs TiVo nothing. It will result in the TiVo-Owned ARPU dropping slightly since the $49 lifetime will likely be amortized across 66 months -- $0.74/mo. From a company perspective this turns a box that was producing zero revenue into something that is positive, reduces churn, opens up the advertising possibilities, and allows for additional revenue from On Demand, etc.
That makes sense.

I called today and they let me do both Tivo boxes, Premiere and an HD for 49/each lifetime.

Awesome!
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
overFEDEXed

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I spoke to a CSR who said the promo should be good for 30 days and only valid on deactivated units. Do I tempt fate and cancel service on the Premiere I was hoping to replace with a Mini and then try to get it?
I was thinking the same thing.

I called and the rep said that none of my units showed any offers. I did have one Premiere, that had been activated under the 30 day trial, and then cancelled. The rep said that it didn't qualify either. Not even my deactivated Toshiba SD-H400 qualified!

Now this is the weird part. I have a Premier on the old $6.95. I asked him if I could transfer it to an Elite. He said yes. I didn't buy the Elite from Tivo, so I don't know how they could do it.

Guess what? I only have the one Elite and I just bought Lifetime on it, a short time ago.

Darn, If I only had another Elite, I'd like to see if they would really do it. Oh well.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrim1 View Post
I called today and they let me do both Tivo boxes, Premiere and an HD for 49/each lifetime.
I just called and got this on my Premiere. Going through the guided setup (different provider then I had before).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
overFEDEXed

Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I just called and got this on my Premiere. Going through the guided setup (different provider then I had before).

Did you get the email?
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
jcondon

Yes. I had service for a bit shy of 2 years. Turned it off 2+ months ago. Got the email today. Checked here to see a few other people got the same. So I call a bit ago and took them up on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
I did have one Premiere, that had been activated under the 30 day trial, and then cancelled. The rep said that it didn't qualify.
I also have a Premiere that was deactivated within the 30-day window. I called yesterday after seeing an "upgrade to Premiere and get $50 PLS" offer on the Tivo Central screen of my TivoHD. The rep said the offer was only as part of a package deal with a full-price 4-tuner Premiere. She wouldn't offer me $99 Lifetime either, stating that heavily discounted Lifetime is usually only offered on older Series 3 boxes. My Series 3 already has lifetime, so it was a no go.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #22
billbillw

So, for the few that have received this offer on a Premiere, were you completely cancelled from any Tivo service or did you still have some active Tivo boxes?
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
So, for the few that have received this offer on a Premiere, were you completely cancelled from any Tivo service or did you still have some active Tivo boxes?
I have 3 that have no service on them right now. Cancelled them all the end of December so they wouldnt be billed again in January. Two of them I paid on for a year and then one was just a few months. I got the offer for the two boxes that I paid the year on, but not the one that I paid just a couple of months. I'm thinking I might just get the offer for the two and then sell them on Ebay and make some money off them.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
I was completely canceled (I have only the one box).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
srauly

I've gotten this email offer once or twice before, and just got it again the other day. I was an old-timer with 2-3 of the older standard-def TiVo boxes and then 2 of the TiVo HD boxes. Then one of my boxes got fried by electricity and instead of buying a replacement I decided to switch to Windows Media Center and bought a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3-tuner cablecard box. It works pretty well and I stream to a couple of XBox 360's elsewhere in the house. But I really don't use the XBox's for anything else and have become more of an Apple home (the three of us have iPhones, we have a couple of iPads, 2 MacBooks, and a few Apple TV's).

I must admit that I'm somewhat tempted to switch back to the TiVo as the Stream interests me, and it just seems like they have a better integrated iOS experience. With my current setup, I run Plex Media Server on my main PC and can then stream recorded shows to my iOS devices, but it's not perfect as there are a couple of hoops you have to jump through first, and while there is a separate live TV app I can use, I can't do pause/rewind with that.

So with all of that as background, what I'm wondering is if there's any chance I could use this $50 promo in conjunction with a brand new Premiere 4-tuner purchase. It sounds like (based on what others here are saying) it only works if I use it to reactivate one of my old TiVo's and I have no interest in doing that. But the email as worded is pretty vague in that regard, as it doesn't explicitly state that I have to reactivate my old TiVo.

Update: Doh! I guess my reading skills were off today. I just reread the email and it does indeed state that it can only be used with TiVo TSN xxxxxxx. Meh.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
ugh what

I got this offer and took them up on it. I had deactivated mine in September. Went to Comcast to trade in my non-DVR box and get a CableCard yesterday, and I'm all set up and running now. So nice to have my TiVo back! Perfect timing, because my Comcast box was going to start costing me $10/month next month, and it isn't even a DVR.
ugh what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
P42

My brother-in-law got this offer, but had no interest in it, so needless to say I offered to free up some space in his basement. The CSR processed it with no issue and transferred it to my account. Of course this is going to cost me big, as I only have one TV.... but I could not let the chance of a $49 Tivo with Lifetime pass me by

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #28
poppagene
User

My Dad got this email on a cancelled s2dt. Are people leveraging this into a $49 PLS on a premiere? And if yes how?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
geeman11

$49

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
My brother-in-law got this offer, but had no interest in it, so needless to say I offered to free up some space in his basement. The CSR processed it with no issue and transferred it to my account. Of course this is going to cost me big, as I only have one TV.... but I could not let the chance of a $49 Tivo with Lifetime pass me by
I got this offer too. I dropped my cable and went to Sat, but my sister has TIVO and cable. Does anyone know if I could do this $49 lifetime on my mothballed TIVO HD and transfer the unit with LIFETIME to my sister ?
geeman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman11 View Post
I got this offer too. I dropped my cable and went to Sat, but my sister has TIVO and cable. Does anyone know if I could do this $49 lifetime on my mothballed TIVO HD and transfer the unit with LIFETIME to my sister ?
I'm pretty sure that once a unit has Lifetime on it, you can sell or give it to anyone you want and when they add it on their account, it will retain the Lifetime service since that is tied to the box and not the subscriber.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote