TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Arrow "Damaged" 11/7/2012

The island back story interested me more than the current day story. I have no idea what went on back then yet but hopefully they'll keep filling in parts.

I didn't care for any of the current day Oliver story lines in this episode. I let out a mental "Child, please" when Laurel said that she and Oliver can never be together again. She wants it. He wants it. Writers, please skip the endless episodes of angst.

Apparently, Starling City looks just like Philadelphia. That was Center City Philadelphia whenever they showed the aerial view of Starling City's skyline. I could see the office building I worked in for 20 years.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
john4200

It was smart of Oliver to intentionally get caught on camera so that he could "prove" his innocence of being the vigilante.

Apparently Oliver knows how to beat a lie detector. Did he learn that on the island, or in his misspent youth?

I'm not sure why he said he'd never been to the prison when he could have just said that he had, and then explained it was as a child (leaving out his recent visit, of course). Did he really forget about his childhood visit?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Apparently Oliver knows how to beat a lie detector. Did he learn that on the island, or in his misspent youth?
I guess beating a lie detector is like picking a lock, hot wiring a car, guessing passwords and hacking into secured networks - everybody on tv can do it when they need to.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I guess beating a lie detector is like picking a lock, hot wiring a car, guessing passwords and hacking into secured networks - everybody on tv can do it when they need to.
Don't be silly.

They have to study on the right deserted island.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Still liking the show.
I liked that Oliver had a plan and at least some thought is going into the show.

Odd that Eddie Fyers was on the island.
I see that Deathstroke doesn't seem to be up to superhuman levels (yet) either.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
The island back story interested me more than the current day story. I have no idea what went on back then yet but hopefully they'll keep filling in parts.

I didn't care for any of the current day Oliver story lines in this episode. I let out a mental "Child, please" when Laurel said that she and Oliver can never be together again. She wants it. He wants it. Writers, please skip the endless episodes of angst.

Apparently, Starling City looks just like Philadelphia. That was Center City Philadelphia whenever they showed the aerial view of Starling City's skyline. I could see the office building I worked in for 20 years.
It's on the CW.

'nuff said.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
sean67854
Why?

Does this show have the same writers as Smallville? It seems like they are following the same trends. The characters go out of their way to not call the "vigilante" by his "real" name. One powerful character does something shady, yet exceptionally grand, then another one does something exceedingly overt concerning that activity.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Does this show have the same writers as Smallville? It seems like they are following the same trends. The characters go out of their way to not call the "vigilante" by his "real" name. One powerful character does something shady, yet exceptionally grand, then another one does something exceedingly overt concerning that activity.
I hate this too. The guy's name is Green Arrow so call him by it unless it's supposed to be a big reveal later on. The "Vigilante" and the "Hood" have gotten old already.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Shakhari

Quote:
I hate this too. The guy's name is Green Arrow so call him by it unless it's supposed to be a big reveal later on. The "Vigilante" and the "Hood" have gotten old already.
Neither of which is as stupid as "The Red-Blue Blue."
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I'm confused.
Are you talking about this guy?

This guy?

or this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Man, he's really blue.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Or "the Blur".
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
TonyD79

Quote:

Most of the shots are Baltimore.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Don't be silly.

Spoiler alert! The way to beat the polygraph is to clench your anal sphincter before you answer. You're welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Ereth

Quote:
They showed that he learned it on the island. When he was first captured he was a terrible liar, remember? Now he's a good liar. Ergo, he learned how to lie on the island.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
They showed that he learned it on the island. When he was first captured he was a terrible liar, remember? Now he's a good liar. Ergo, he learned how to lie on the island.
There is a big difference between convincing a person of a lie and beating a polygraph.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Most of the shots are Baltimore.
Maybe it changes from week to week but this episode's aerial views were Philadelphia

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
There is a big difference between convincing a person of a lie and beating a polygraph.
Oh, stop being so pedantic!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
GAViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Spoiler alert! The way to beat the polygraph is to clench your anal sphincter before you answer. You're welcome.
Of course now they have special seats covers that are supposedly able to detect that. Your best bet is to bite your tongue. Of course you have to know which questions to do that.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
alpacaboy

I thought the real way to beat the polygraph was to start believing my own lies.

alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Ereth

Quote:
He was a playboy drunk who was a terrible liar. It's inconceivable that he could have beat a polygraph before he went to the island.

Were he regularly beating polygraphs prior to his shipwreck he (a) wouldn't be such a terrible liar and (b) Capt Lance would never have trusted the polygraph and wouldn't have wasted his time to have one.

This really isn't that hard, no matter how much you try to split hairs.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
john4200

Quote:
It's inconceivable that he could have beat a polygraph before he went to the island.
I can conceive of it. It really is not that hard to understand.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Polygraphs are voodoo science and are not reliable. They are not scientific instruments. There's a reason they're not admissible in court. It's because they don't work.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
Polygraphs are voodoo science and are not reliable. They are not scientific instruments. There's a reason they're not admissible in court. It's because they don't work.
Technically, they are scientific instruments measuring galvanic skin response. It's the interpretation of those responses as an accurate measure of "lie-ability" that is its liability.

Back on topic, I get distracted by the idea that the ex-girlfriend cannot recognize Ollie's chiselled facial features and scruffy beard beneath the hood. Also, that the Arrow speaks in a slightly lower register seals the concealment of his identity.

Yet I am still actually enjoying this show. I also like the black green arrow as a partner to the white green arrow.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Ereth

Quote:
I can conceive of it. It really is not that hard to understand.
Only if you are willing to discard all the character development and storytelling we've had so far. It is inconsistent with the data we have on Oliver Queen.

I can conceive of him being an all-powerful alien capable of destroying solar systems with a mere thought, but that doesn't mean it's consistent with the details the storytellers have given us so far.

It seems to me you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. You've made no effort whatsoever to explain your point. "Nuh uh!" is not a compelling argument. Neither is "is so!".

Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
It is inconsistent with the data we have on Oliver Queen.
Not really. The show has given us very little specifics about Oliver's life before the island. In general terms he was a party guy, heavy user of alcohol, and a womanizer. But that certainly does not mean he never did anything else. He is intelligent and rich. I can easily conceive of him paying someone to teach him how to beat a lie detector, perhaps to win a bet or in relation to some of his run ins with the law.

I'm surprised you needed an explanation for such a simple thing as this, since you previously wrote "this really isn't that hard...".

Last edited by john4200 : 11-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
GAViewer

Quote:
I can easily conceive of him paying someone to teach him how to beat a lie detector,
Why pay anyone when the information can be found free on the internet.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViewer View Post
Why pay anyone when the information can be found free on the internet.
You also need to practice with a real polygraph, with someone who knows how to run it.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

You'd think Lt. Lang would ask how many arrows the "Vigilante" fired when he showed up while Oliver was being watched.

Funny how the victims of the the later attack had arrow wounds again.

What happened to Oliver's new body guard?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
Lillian Nyx
Queen of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Don't be silly.

For a deserted island, there sure are a lot of people on it. I wonder why it took 5 years and a flaming arrow shot into a pile of wood to get someone to take him off the island. And with a guy as high-profile as Oliver Queen, wouldn't they go back and investigate the island? Maybe they did, and we haven't seen that episode yet.
Lillian Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
Ereth

Quote:
Not really. The show has given us very little specifics about Oliver's life before the island. In general terms he was a party guy, heavy user of alcohol, and a womanizer. But that certainly does not mean he never did anything else. He is intelligent and rich. I can easily conceive of him paying someone to teach him how to beat a lie detector, perhaps to win a bet or in relation to some of his run ins with the law.

I'm surprised you needed an explanation for such a simple thing as this, since you previously wrote "this really isn't that hard...".
Oh please. You are trying VERY hard to find some way to disagree with me. Fine. You disagree with me. I think you are wrong. You haven't given one shred of evidence for your position, while I've given you scenes from the show that support mine.

But you just WANT to disagree with me. So fine. You disagree. But your argument is far weaker than mine. So get over yourself.

The entire premise of the show is how being trapped on that island changed Oliver. The writers hit us over the head with it every single episode and not in a subtle way. If you seriously think they are going to have a major plot point be a skill he had BEFORE he went to the island, you don't understand writing.

But given that you have no purpose here other than to be annoying, contributing nothing to the discussion, welcome to ignore.

Last edited by Ereth : 11-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.