TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
brianric

Last Resort Season Finale 01-24-13

Surprise I'm first post. Seems like Series Finale. I'm satisfied with the ending, Colorado destroyed, President shot, rest of surviving crew back on US soil.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

It was okay. Definitely rushed. A lot of getting from A to Z without showing the work in between, but that was to be expected, given the circumstances.

I liked how Chaplin just immediately shot the engineer guy; no final speech for you!

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Some pretty stupid plot hole-ish developments but I still felt that the ending was moderately satisfying if rushed. The fact that Kylie would not have known that she would be let through security so quickly, for example. That sort of stuff.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
zalusky

I would have like to have seen Chaplin in episode 2 look at the island thug Serrat and just shoot him with an Indiana Jones "I don't have time for this" look. I can't figure why he left him alone the entire show. Chaplin committing suicide just did not feel right given the rest of his character development.

Kylie would have been better written if she took out the president with a ball point pen. I cannot imagine anybody gets to walk near any president without security unless its 24 style plot to kill him with help.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
nyny523
Oy

OK, that was a big bag of suck.

Totally rushed, a lot of unsatisfactory resolutions, and just a bunch of stupid at the end.

Meh.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I thought it was interesting it was listed as a "Season Finale" rather than a "Series Finale" in the listings.

Can't see it coming back though.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

They said it would go out with a bang. Well, a couple of missiles blowing up the sub satisfies that description.

Glad it's over.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Can't see it coming back though.
It isn't. They announced its non-renewal back in November.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
donnoh

I watched about 3 episodes before I canceled the season pass. I can't believe they found enough plot material to make it this far.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Totally rushed, a lot of unsatisfactory resolutions, and just a bunch of stupid at the end.
I have not watched it yet but consideing it was cancelled and did not get a full season I can understand why any resolution was rushed. At least we got resolutions instead of being left hanging like so many cancelled shows leave us.

Last edited by Maui : 01-25-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
brianric

Quote:

Meh.
Expecting a lot for a one hour finale.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Idearat

For a rushed finale, I thought they did Ok. Heck, I was more satisfied with this one than the Sopranos finale.

So we now know the president was the bad guy, not the conspirators who sought to oust him. And despite describing herself as a money hungry arms dealer, Kylie did the patriotic thing and took one for the team.

With the now-dead Chaplin able to foot whatever blame there is left after the exposing of the plot to manufacture a war, the XO still might be remembered as the guy who turned the 2nd key to launch the missile in the general direction of D.C.

I never understood how they intended this to be a multi-year show, maybe someone will spill the beans. But as others have mentioned I'm at least greatful they gave us as much an ending as they could. It's because so many shows have ended abruptly that I'm usually shy about checking out new ones, and I can't be the only one. Maybe if the powers that be at the networks would give new shows a little more time to find their groove we'd have less shows that don't make it to season 2.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Absolutely essential read from Alan Sepinwall:
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...s-cop-and-more

Quote:
"Last Resort" just aired its series finale, and I have a few thoughts on how things ended, and then a long interview with co-creator Shawn Ryan about these 13 episodes — and, at the end, about his "Beverly Hills Cop" pilot for CBS — all coming up just as soon as I ask who Jay-Z is...
They discuss, among many more topics, the changes they made to the last episode, once they got the bad news. And discussion about the direction they were going with several plotlines, had ABC picked up the back nine.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
justen_m

I liked the series finale. The whole series was... rushed... and made quite a few stupid jumps of logic. Ok, critics, more than a few. I still liked it. They got so much stuff correct. I really loved Chaplin mentioning his tour on... NEVADA!!! I did a tour on SSBN-733 NEVADA!!! Stupid things about subs they got right made me like the show. Stupid things they got wrong, I ignored, because of the hot French chick and Dichen Lachman.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I would have like to have seen Chaplin in episode 2 look at the island thug Serrat and just shoot him with an Indiana Jones "I don't have time for this" look. I can't figure why he left him alone the entire show. Chaplin committing suicide just did not feel right given the rest of his character development.
Agree. Serrat still gets to run the island. The Chinese lived. But they both have to deal with a Navy Seal sniper being a permanent resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Kylie would have been better written if she took out the president with a ball point pen. I cannot imagine anybody gets to walk near any president without security unless its 24 style plot to kill him with help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
For a rushed finale, I thought they did Ok. Heck, I was more satisfied with this one than the Sopranos finale.

So we now know the president was the bad guy, not the conspirators who sought to oust him. And despite describing herself as a money hungry arms dealer, Kylie did the patriotic thing and took one for the team.

With the now-dead Chaplin able to foot whatever blame there is left after the exposing of the plot to manufacture a war, the XO still might be remembered as the guy who turned the 2nd key to launch the missile in the general direction of D.C.
Remember that Dad pulled her through the SS guys saying, "It's OK. She's one of us." He'll have to answer for that.

Speaking, I think with Admiral Dad making that call to Grace, that maybe he was the mole who brought down the coup. "Why isn't he in jail?"

We didn't see any more of the sinister "Dutch," either.

Cortez is on the way to Gitmo for disobeying her CIA order to kill Marcus?

Once agin, we have the Hollywood MacGuffin of the computer file that can't be copied. All they would had to do was put copies of the video on 4chan and bittorrent which would lead to so many copies on YouTube on elsewhere on the web it would never be killed. "Give this to the reporters."*Heh.

That would have led to the President being impeached, eventually, probably, hopefully...until he enacted war powers...and jailed the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I never understood how they intended this to be a multi-year show, maybe someone will spill the beans. But as others have mentioned I'm at least greatful they gave us as much an ending as they could. It's because so many shows have ended abruptly that I'm usually shy about checking out new ones, and I can't be the only one. Maybe if the powers that be at the networks would give new shows a little more time to find their groove we'd have less shows that don't make it to season 2.
I think it was a good series ender. I liked the way they turned the "who's with who" thing over and over until the end.

I was thinking up to now, how they could ever have thought this would work in multiple seasons. It would have been endless "A new bad force coming to take the sub/island/Marcus."

It should have been a mini-series in the first place.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Remember that Dad pulled her through the SS guys saying, "It's OK. She's one of us."
But since that would never happen, she could never plan on it happening. So presumably, her plan was to get arrested by the Secret Service.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But since that would never happen, she could never plan on it happening. So presumably, her plan was to get arrested by the Secret Service.
Boyfriend/SEAL told her to do what needed to be done. She figured that was it.

Course, if she was going to do that she didn't need to shoot the boyfriend. We'll assume that shooting him got her on the "she's one of us" list.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I thought you guys said this show was cancelled? I quit watching it in Dec. I hope its true.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Boyfriend/SEAL told her to do what needed to be done. She figured that was it.

Course, if she was going to do that she didn't need to shoot the boyfriend. We'll assume that shooting him got her on the "she's one of us" list.
Right, but that wouldn't get her next to the President without going through security. Nothing would.

Ergo, her plan was to get arrested.

Or the writing was sloppy.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Timbeau

Quote:

Meh.
I agree. Especially about the bunch of stupid. But that's what the whole series was like so I guess they kept their quality level steady.

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
WO312

Well, on the plus side, we did get a resolution and no cliff hanger. On the minus side, boy what a rushed resolution. With less than 15 minutes to go I was thinking there was no way to resolve this.

According to the Sepinwall article mentioned above this episode was originally about the mutiny. I think it would have been a whole lot better if they had cut short the mutiny scenes, way down, and spent a lot more time on the resolution. Obviously I have no idea how much time they had to do this, but I think it potentially could have been a much better finale.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
According to the Sepinwall article mentioned above this episode was originally about the mutiny. I think it would have been a whole lot better if they had cut short the mutiny scenes, way down, and spent a lot more time on the resolution. Obviously I have no idea how much time they had to do this, but I think it potentially could have been a much better finale.
At that point, they were probably pretty limited in what they could do. They had the script, they had hired the actors, they probably had scheduled the sets, so in assembling the episode they had to make do with the pieces they had already committed to, on a very short time-frame (I believe they were already shooting the previous episode when word came down).
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
I thought you guys said this show was cancelled? I quit watching it in Dec. I hope its true.
Cancelled doesn't always mean they just stop playing the show. They had a few more episodes to air. They had time to change the last episode into a finale, because they got cancelled before everything was filmed.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
Cereal_Killer

Quote:
…Or the writing was sloppy.
Yeah, the writing sucked big time.

I just couldn’t believe that Julian Serrat could totally out maneuver the commander of a nuclear vessel (of the most powerful navy in the world) like he was a chump, for example.

That A-hole leader of the island should have been shot, stabbed, and hung up on a pole in the village square by the end of the 2nd episode.

Also, he needs to button his shirts!

Oh well, at least at the end, Kylie got her father in a lot of hot water.

Ha-Ha, “she’s OK, she’s one of us!!”
Cereal_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
Yeah, the writing sucked big time.

I just couldn’t believe that Julian Serrat could totally out maneuver the commander of a nuclear vessel (of the most powerful navy in the world) like he was a chump, for example.

That A-hole leader of the island should have been shot, stabbed, and hung up on a pole in the village square by the end of the 2nd episode.

Also, he needs to button his shirts!

Oh well, at least at the end, Kylie got her father in a lot of hot water.

Ha-Ha, “she’s OK, she’s one of us!!”
As I mentioned earlier I think of the famous scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the bad ninja comes up to him and Indy just pulls out his gun ad shoots him. I really feel that would have been the perfect ending for Serrat.
A simple statement saying your not worth the time.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Right, but that wouldn't get her next to the President without going through security. Nothing would.

Ergo, her plan was to get arrested.

Or the writing was sloppy.
Or the security agents heard that the show was canceled and they just couldn't get motivated enough to do their jobs well.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #27
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So why did they advertise this as the "season finale" and not the "series finale"?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
So why did they advertise this as the "season finale" and not the "series finale"?
It's not incorrect. Just incomplete.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Well, on the plus side, we did get a resolution and no cliff hanger. On the minus side, boy what a rushed resolution. With less than 15 minutes to go I was thinking there was no way to resolve this.

I agree. And that was probably the stupidest mutiny in the history of mutinies. It was so convoluted. I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out who was on who's side and who was in charge of the mutiny. By the end of the series I was more interested in the conspiracy in Washington than I was about the sub and the islanders. The Chinese getting involved was too much out of left field too.

Like everyone said, glad we got resolution. It just felt that last 10 minutes was tacked on at the last minute. Too bad about this show, such potential three eps in , and then they just made everything way too confusing.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Absolutely essential read from Alan Sepinwall:
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...s-cop-and-more....
Excellent stuff...thanks for posting.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote