TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Flashpoint: Entire Series thread

[this show can't sustain a season thread, much less an episode thread. Series thread it is!]

Beware: Spoilers for any episode aired in the US are possible in this thread.

I know there are a few of us watching, and this is a show that rarely (never?) calls for a thread. But...

The last couple weeks have had a glaring similarity, something we've not really seen in 3-4 years. Flash mobs. Flash mobs who race out of control, and completely overwhelm any police presence. Once would be different; twice in a row seems... unusual.

Last week had that mob at the court house that attacked the police trying to protect a defendant. The mob got ugly quick, to the point of bashing & burning a police vehicle, with total disregard for the life of the cop inside. The police could not control anything.

This week we have flash mobs protecting "JD", again rushing a police cordon, breaking thru, with total disregard for their own safety.

In both cases, common sense says no mob like that is going to attack a police presence. Heck, they weren't even really involved mobs (like say Rodney King or Watts), they were flash-type mobs. Additionally, there was some really bitter anti-police vitriol being spewed by both mobs.

I found both situations totally ridiculous. Are Canadians really that bitter towards their police forces? Do flash mobs in Toronto just start whacking away at police lines, busting thru and creating havoc for no real reason?

It's a lightweight show, and easy and fun to watch. It just seems like these last two eps are out of the box for them.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
leeherman

I just picked up on the show largely because I enjoyed Enrico Colantoni in "Veronica Mars" and I've been going through the first season on Netflix. So far I'm enjoying this show too.

I probably won't get to the now current shows until they hit Netflix!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I could never be in charge of a unit like theirs. As soon as I had a sniper with a clear shot and there was a perp waving a gun around I'd give the order to take them out. For me the movie John Q. would have been 10 minutes long.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
allonon
Who ME?

I didn't think this so much as a flash mob versus mob mentality. Mob mentality is well known for people doing things that they would not do normally but the perceived safety of a large group and tsunami of emotion created by a extremely large group coming together for a common cause they feel inspired to now act out.

I wouldn't consider it rediculous. You did see the riots after the Stanley Cup loss right?
allonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

The second half of the 4th season started tonight, on ION, instead of CBS.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477153

For the first time I can recall, certainly in a few years, they didn't start with the end, then cut back with a "Six Hours Ago". This was non-stop from the beginning. Good episode.

Glad ION picked this up.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

I didn't even notice the lack of the flashback---but you're right. Actually, I thought that was the whole idea of the series---it shows the moment of maximum crisis (the "flashpoint") and then the events leading up to it.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The second half of the 4th season started tonight, on ION, instead of CBS.
Is CBS no longer going to show them?

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to adjust my season pass.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Crap. I've been lamenting the fact that CBS has dropped the show. And I don't get ION. Maybe I did when I still had DirecTV.

Is there a place online to watch it?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
verdugan

boo hoo. ION is not in High Definition.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
boo hoo. ION is not in High Definition.
It is here!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Glad to see ION pick this up.

I can't tell if it's in Hi-Def (I still watch an SDTV), looks like it might be.
Unfortunately, sound is Pro-Logic II, not DD 5.1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It is here!
Which provider do you have? I have Directv.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Comcast Cable.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Comcast Houston, also HD.

I also recorded it on DirecTV, but deleted it unwatched (since I had watched it on TiVo/Comcast), so I don't know if that's HD or not. I'll check next week.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
verdugan

Boo hoo to Directv then.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

I get Ion in 720p both on Time-Warner and OTA.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
Amnesia
The Question

Interesting episode this week. Back to the traditional start-in-the-middle-of-the-story format...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
astrohip
Stuart F

Four hours earlier...

And Wordy was back. I wonder what the story is on him. Why they wrote him out, why he's back?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Guess he didn't want the full-time job any more?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Four hours earlier...

And Wordy was back. I wonder what the story is on him. Why they wrote him out, why he's back?
IIRC his character was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and he wanted to leave the team on his own terms before he could no longer do his job.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
IIRC his character was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and he wanted to leave the team on his own terms before he could no longer do his job.
Yes, but there had to be a reason they wrote the character/actor out of the show.

There seems to be nothing on the Intertubes. I wonder if the actor was diagnosed with Parkinson's?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Quote:
Yes, but there had to be a reason they wrote the character/actor out of the show.

There seems to be nothing on the Intertubes. I wonder if the actor was diagnosed with Parkinson's?
That's my question. I know why he left the team (TV life). Why did he leave the show (real life)? I haven't been able to find anything either. But this is a show that is barely covered in the TV media world.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

According to IMDB, he's doing another TV series.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0186117/

ETA, it might have been just one episode.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
astrohip
Stuart F

'Flashpoint' Renewed For A Fifth Season By ION Television

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

Now if they would just make it easy to watch... I find ION airs episodes in a totally random order, intermixing new episodes with older episodes, even mixing in previous seasons with new eps. And because they generally use the original air date in Canada, a FRO SP does not work.

Quote:
NEW YORK, January 3, 2012 – ION Television announced today it is renewing its original police dramaFlashpoint for a fifth season. The network is picking up 13 more episodes, set to begin shooting in February 2012. The announcement was made today by Brandon Burgess, CEO, ION Media Networks.

Flashpoint joined ION’s primetime schedule in October 2011 after the network acquired all episodes from seasons 1-3 along with 11 season four original episodes. The production of season five contributes to ION Television’s original programming goals for 2012 and beyond. Since its debut on ION, Flashpoint recorded its highest-telecast ever among the network’s key demos on December 27, including households (1.5 million), A25-54 (869,000), W25-54 (566,000) and among total viewers (2.1 million).

“Flashpoint’s solid performance season-to-date shows that a growing number of fans enjoy the series on ION Television,” says Burgess. “We welcome back this exciting dramatic series and its cast to ION Television for another season in 2012.”

“We’re thrilled to be continuing our relationship with ION,” says Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos, executive producers of Flashpoint. “We are delighted with how Flashpoint continues to resonate with fans in the U.S. and we look forward to creating another season of compelling and engaging episodes for them to enjoy.”

Flashpoint, a nail-biting cop drama, is an emotional journey into the tough, risk-filled lives of a group of police in the Strategic Response Unit. Members of a highly-skilled tactical team, they’re trained in negotiating, profiling and getting inside the subject’s head to understand the emotional breaking point (the “flashpoint”) that triggered the crisis. The series stars an impressive list of talent, including Hugh Dillon as Ed Lane, team leader and lead sniper; Enrico Colantoni as Gregory Parker, team sergeant and head negotiator; Amy Jo Johnson as Julianna “Jules” Callaghan, profiler and secondary negotiator; David Paetkau as Sam Braddock, the young, hot-shot sniper; Sergio Di Zio as Mike “Spike” Scarlatti, bomb tech and communications; and Clé Bennett as Rafik “Raf” Rousseau, Team One’s newest diamond-in-the-rough recruit.

Flashpoint is produced by Pink Sky Entertainment and Avamar Entertainment in association with CTV and ION Television. Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos serve as executive producers, and co-creators Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern helm the writing department. David Frazee is the Series Consultant.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
jebbbz

Since the switch to Ion I have depended on the Wikipedia entry for Flashpoint and set each recording manually.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
JYoung
Series 3

The problem is that my local Ion station had added additional subchannels to the HD signal and cut back the bandwidth on the main feed by about 40%.
So I'm see a fair amount of artifacting in my recordings.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
newsposter
Poster of News

with jules preggo this is really going to have to end with her leaving of course, just wonder if it's permanent?

i like how the armored car robbers were so very well planned out and i sorta agree, who will it hurt stealing bills meant to be burned they should distribute them to everyone

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
with jules preggo this is really going to have to end with her leaving of course, just wonder if it's permanent?
A while back, she temporarily left the show because the actor was pregnant. I wonder if that's the case now, and if so, how are they going to deal with it in the long run?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I thought that the show was being cancelled.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
A while back, she temporarily left the show because the actor was pregnant. I wonder if that's the case now, and if so, how are they going to deal with it in the long run?
send the cute receptionist out to the field and jules on desk duty?

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote