TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
TundraTork888

Question Please Embrace 5GHZ Wifi

I love Tivo and have used it for a long time. I've upgrade most of my devices to 5Ghz N Wifi and nothing is wired now. So why can't I get TiVo devices that use 5Ghz N cards?

I can get 38MB down when I use my 5Ghz WIFI network (which is just as good as 40MB MoCA). I previewed the mini and again, I see a device that Tivo chose a design that requires wires. WHY? Tivo, I love you, but I'm giving you up if I have to put holes in my walls, it's ridiculous. The person within your R&D group that is choosing wired technologies over wireless needs to have their head examined.
TundraTork888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Have you heard of a wireless bridge? The N "adapter" that TiVo sells is such a device. Any other brand/model will also work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Have you heard of a wireless bridge? The N "adapter" that TiVo sells is such a device. Any other brand/model will also work.
I purchased a Premiere XL recently when TiVo's package offered a reduced price and a free N adapter thrown in. But does it support both available N bands if my router did? (My current router is a single-band that I'm thinking about upgrading in the near future after 802.11ac is closer to ready.)
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
scole250

You can buy a Linksys 4 port/duel band bridge for $99. One bridge to connect all your stuff around your Tivo including TV, game consoles, etc. You can get an AC bridge for $150.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Chris Gerhard

A dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter works, such as the Linksys WGA600N.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
A dual band ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter works, such as the Linksys WGA600N.
Don't know about that model, but an older G model I had only worked when connected to a single device. You couldn't connect it to a switch to bridge multiple devices. For the same cost, you can get a bridge with a 4 port switch that will bridge 4 devices.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
I purchased a Premiere XL recently when TiVo's package offered a reduced price and a free N adapter thrown in. But does it support both available N bands if my router did? (My current router is a single-band that I'm thinking about upgrading in the near future after 802.11ac is closer to ready.)
The current gen of AC chips support only one connection at gigabit speeds. I have long used DLink DAP-1522's on 5ghz this provides each TV/TiVo with a 4 port gigabit switch and a solid 216-270 megabit wireless connection. I have streamed hd criss-crossing rooms while pc was downloading from TiVo's without any hiccups, thats 3 hd streams. Once in a while I have to reboot a bridge, rarely actually. Occassionally i have to get the tivo to reset its nettwork settings dhcp. Most of the time it just works flawlessly. 5 ghz is the way to go 300/450 is fast enough for a couple of concurrent streams when your the only 5ghz ssid
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote