TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
verdugan

The Following - Mad Love - S01E04 - OAD 2/11/13

No thread yet? That's not a good sign.

I agree with everyone in last week's thread that said this is turning into "24." It will get old. The other young FBI agent sure took a long time to go around the back, huh?

So after killing Maggie, it looks like they only have 3 followers left. Can they make a series about trying to find the little kid?
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
philw1776

The cult killers really need to kill the stupid woman who instead of fleeing into the woods with a myriad of hiding places and escape possibilities she stupidly circles back to the barn where anyone would be sure to search. Please finish her off as a public service before she breeds.

And the ridiculously long delay for the other Feeb to simply go around to the back door was transparently inserted just to allow the long soliloquy by the killer and so Bacon could do his excruciating emotional anguish scene of the week. Awful writing.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
So after killing Maggie, it looks like they only have 3 followers left. Can they make a series about trying to find the little kid?
Of course not. They will just introduce new followers.

Well I was glad we didn't have a "surprise" follower this week but the episode was kind of weak. I don't know how this show can sustain itself past one season with the current direction it's going. We barely even saw Carroll in this episode.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
The cult killers really need to kill the stupid woman who instead of fleeing into the woods with a myriad of hiding places and escape possibilities she stupidly circles back to the barn where anyone would be sure to search. Please finish her off as a public service before she breeds.
Not to mention that she leaves the house slamming the door shut so that she can be heard leaving. She should have left as quietly as possible.,
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
The other young FBI agent sure took a long time to go around the back, huh?
I thought the same thing while watching it. One of the FBI agents is going to end up a follower. My bet is this guy. Unless all of the FBI agents turn out to be followers.

It seemed like there were a lot of commercials and less substance. Was the runtime of this episode the same as others? Maybe it was just hollow and lacking substance.

Next week's episode looks more interesting.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Not to mention that she leaves the house slamming the door shut so that she can be heard leaving. She should have left as quietly as possible.,
My friend and I were speculating as we watched that the other two serial killers were probably watching and waiting for their downstairs buddy to let her go. I was astonished when she was able to escape so easily and nobody was watching. Then she lets the door slam shut behind her. Then rather than running off into the dark woods where nobody would be able to follow her at night, she runs back to a building. Then she falls for the bad guy walked away so it's now safe to exit the building cliche.

In her place I'm not sure I'd be in the right frame of mind to be mindful of closing the door quietly. Once I got outside though I'd have hauled ass for those woods. Running away is an instinct.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post
In her place I'm not sure I'd be in the right frame of mind to be mindful of closing the door quietly. Once I got outside though I'd have hauled ass for those woods. Running away is an instinct.
I noticed the door slamming as well. She sounded pretty calm and in the right frame of mind when she laid out her argument to the guy downstairs.

In that frame of mind, she wouldn't have let the door slam, but not unreasonable (although stupid) to just want to bolt.

Like everybody else said, it was totally stupid to go back and hide in the barn.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Of course not. They will just introduce new followers.

Well I was glad we didn't have a "surprise" follower this week but the episode was kind of weak. I don't know how this show can sustain itself past one season with the current direction it's going. We barely even saw Carroll in this episode.
I half expected Jenny to turn out to be a follower.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
TampaThunder

They couldn't come up with a better name for the FBI guy than Mike Weston? If he turns out to be a follower do they just issue a burn notice on him?
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Cainebj

I don't disagree with any of what has been said but I'm still enjoying it in fact quickly becoming one of my weekly favorites.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
They couldn't come up with a better name for the FBI guy than Mike Weston? If he turns out to be a follower do they just issue a burn notice on him?
Probably, but it's going to take a while for them to find someone who has a thick irish accent who can actually just get rid of it a few days later.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
I see what you did there.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
sharkster

I'm not loving it, but I'm not hating it either. I never watched 24, so I don't have any basis for comparison there.

The one thing, from a sensory POV, that is truly pissing me off is that damnable sound effect they use about a dozen times per episode to scare you. If they cannot startle me with content, then it's just an insult to my intelligence that they have to use that ridiculous sound effect to completely overtake what is happening. I can't even watch the show at night anymore because my husband goes to bed very early and, due to my tinnitis, I have to have the volume kind of high anyway. When that sound plays it's just horrific.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #14
Martha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
The one thing, from a sensory POV, that is truly pissing me off is that damnable sound effect they use about a dozen times per episode to scare you. If they cannot startle me with content, then it's just an insult to my intelligence that they have to use that ridiculous sound effect to completely overtake what is happening.
I told my husband the other night I was glad they played that music, because otherwise, how would I know to look up from my knitting?
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I don't disagree with any of what has been said but I'm still enjoying it in fact quickly becoming one of my weekly favorites.
Yep, mine too. It still passes the "does it entertain me?" test. Yeah I know some things are kind of silly, but it's TV and nothing is so far fetched that it ruins it for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
MrLatte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm not loving it, but I'm not hating it either. I never watched 24, so I don't have any basis for comparison there.

The one thing, from a sensory POV, that is truly pissing me off is that damnable sound effect they use about a dozen times per episode to scare you. If they cannot startle me with content, then it's just an insult to my intelligence that they have to use that ridiculous sound effect to completely overtake what is happening. I can't even watch the show at night anymore because my husband goes to bed very early and, due to my tinnitis, I have to have the volume kind of high anyway. When that sound plays it's just horrific.
Headphones.
MrLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I was astonished when she was able to escape so easily and nobody was watching.
"Here we are, the Serial Killer Society, hiding from a national manhunt, and we have a witness tied up in the basement. So hey, member of the Serial Killer Society who's never actually killed anybody, why don't you go down in the basement and kill her. And we'll go off and do something else. Y'know, give you some privacy. But hey, yell when you're done, so we can have a dirty three-way in the shower."
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
mattack

I'm not sure what sound you're talking about, though I do seem to remember some kind of 'scary movie' sound.

BTW, do you consider the sounds in Psycho annoying?
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The sound that drives me crazy is the clockwork noise they use to go to commercial in Zero Hour. I guess they're going for a Lost-style motif, but I surely hope they tone it down a lot, very soon.

(I normally don't notice that sort of thing much if at all, so this one must be especially egregious!)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm not sure what sound you're talking about, though I do seem to remember some kind of 'scary movie' sound.

BTW, do you consider the sounds in Psycho annoying?
It's this big, loud, extremely obnoxious, kind of slamming sound. Kind of like an uber-sudden, only a hundred times louder, slamming of a prison door or something like that.

Anyway, it's probably more ME than anything as I have sensory overload issues, especially with the extreme tinnitis. I just need to get over it.

Haven't watched Psycho in years, probably since before I had this issue with sounds.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"Here we are, the Serial Killer Society, hiding from a national manhunt, and we have a witness tied up in the basement. So hey, member of the Serial Killer Society who's never actually killed anybody, why don't you go down in the basement and kill her. And we'll go off and do something else. Y'know, give you some privacy. But hey, yell when you're done, so we can have a dirty three-way in the shower."
Beginning to wonder if the show isn't some deep satire of serial killer movies that's WOOOSHHH!!! just over my head
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

I haven't noticed any sounds that annoy me or try to startled me?? What drives me crazy is people doing stupid things - or just bad writing to create suspense and drama. I like good writing that creates suspense and drama.

The girl running into the barn instead of running into the woods and laying down. Try finding someone at night in the woods laying down that has a few minutes head start. Impossible unless you step on them. She could have had a lot more head start if she snuck out rather then slam the door behind her.

And what was Bacon's plan to save the girl by himself? Did he just want to trade his life for the women's and if so why would he trust a serial killer to hold up her end of the bargain. Both he and the girl would be dead and the series over if his FBI friend didn't force him to take him along. Then FBI friend takes his time saving the day. I guess they wanted a "Pit in the pendulum" scene.

What would have been wrong with getting some backup so he could be safe, save the girl and capture the serial killer? I believe the FBI in a kidnap situation always say to call the authorities no matter what the kidnapper says. The odds are just better that way. I would think and FBI guy that is supposed to be good would know better.

I am not sure how much more I can take of people doing really stupid things. I am only watch now because of Kevin Bacon and the hope that it will get better after this rough start.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I agree with everything here, esp. the FBI agent going for a latte before his rescue. If you're inclined to meet the writers 95% of the way you might say that Ryan developed his plan the way he did because he had a handy FBI agent. If he had been alone he may have done things differently.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

I'm giving up on this. I'll hold out for Hannibal.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
eddyj

I thought he told the FBI guy to wait unless he was needed. So maybe he waited for a bit and then decided to go in.

But probably it was lazy writing.

As to the escaping girl, she is smart getting out, careful about noise while tiptoeing around the house, and as soon as she sees the door, her IQ drops by 100 points.

I am giving the show a little more rope, but I am not hopeful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I wish I could say the same.........but I just can't. This has quickly become a show I'll watch when I get to it....whenever. And that's not a good sign.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
SnakeVargas

I'm still looking forward to it again tonight. I'm finding I can enjoy it despite the unrealistic aspects. My primary concern is still that it will grow stale due to the frequency of introducing new serial killers and killing them off.

Are there any fans of 'Rome' here?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
eddyj

Quote:
I'm still looking forward to it again tonight. I'm finding I can enjoy it despite the unrealistic aspects. My primary concern is still that it will grow stale due to the frequency of introducing new serial killers and killing them off.

I don't mind unrealistic as much as I mind when getting to someplace in the plot requires that the characters act in incredibly stupid ways.

This is why I don't like many comedies. The payoff may be funny, but if the setup requires incredible stupidity, I can't stand it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:

Loved Rome. Should have had more seasons. Glad to see Purefoy working, but I'm feeling about this the way I feel about Grey's Anatomy. I wanted to like it, I want to watch it just for Purefoy (and Kevin McKidd) but I...just...can't. The sooner they're off the air, the sooner the actors can find something better, I hope.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
philw1776

I'm looking forward to this week's incredulous plot holes, contrived unrealistic character behaviors and permeated perimeters. It's like watching a train wreck. Fascinating.