TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
lessd

Smile Premiere 4 Ethernet connection speed

I just replaced my hard wired TP with a TP-4 and saw that my router now said the connection speed was 1Gb/s, I put back the TP and the reported speed went back down to 100Mb/s, so I will guess TiVo upgraded the Ethernet speed with the TP-4, don't know if this applies to the TPXL-4

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I just replaced my hard wired TP with a TP-4 and saw that my router now said the connection speed was 1Gb/s, I put back the TP and the reported speed went back down to 100Mb/s, so I will guess TiVo upgraded the Ethernet speed with the TP-4, don't know if this applies to the TPXL-4
You would think for the extra money they charge for the XL that they wouldn't take a step back on the ethernet speed. Then again, you never know what little "savings" a company will make. A couple of years ago I bought a new, brand name, Core i3 based laptop with HDMI, etc., etc., only to find that they only installed a single, non stereo speaker.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
scole250

If more Tivo owners expressed willingness to pay for that extra benefit, they might. I think they took a calculated risk by not doing it and instead invested in MoCA and Ethernet bridge, which I think was genius. Plus, wireless is changing so fast that by the time they implemented wireless N, I doubt they would have recouped their costs before people were screaming for wireless AC. Plus multi-port wireless bridge devices are becoming more available. I'd rather have a multi-port CA bridge to connect my Tivo, TV, DVD and anything else in that cabinet. With the bridge feature, all Tivos can work over MoCA and only 1 wireless CA, or other, bridge is needed to connect them to the rest of the wired network.

Last edited by scole250 : 01-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Is that even possible? I thought the networking was built into the chipset and they've used the same chipset for the entire Premiere line for years. Although I could be wrong. Maybe it's a modular chip and was replaced when they did the run for the Premiere 4.

In any case it doesn't really matter. Nothing travels through the Ethernet port at speeds faster then 100Mbps anyway so gigabit probably isn't helping much. I guess it might help with the bridging functionality, but MoCa maxes out at 200Mbps so it's still not running full speed ahead.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is that even possible? I thought the networking was built into the chipset and they've used the same chipset for the entire Premiere line for years. Although I could be wrong. Maybe it's a modular chip and was replaced when they did the run for the Premiere 4.

In any case it doesn't really matter. Nothing travels through the Ethernet port at speeds faster then 100Mbps anyway so gigabit probably isn't helping much. I guess it might help with the bridging functionality, but MoCa maxes out at 200Mbps so it's still not running full speed ahead.

Dan
I never tried any xfer between two TP-4s hard wired to a Gb port, so I have no idea if this gives one any speed improvement. Using the N adapter TP-4 to my hard wired TP-4 I do get about 70Mb/sec.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The network chip in the XL4/Elite and the 4 does gigabit ethernet and MoCA. The one in the regular Premiere (and old XL version) only does 100Mbps ethernet.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Philmatic

It does since at GBit, but is still tops out at around 120mbps because of the CPU constraints. Presumably, the next CPU won't have the problem.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

All I know is that from a regular Premiere on a MoCA adapter to the Elite with built-in MoCA, I can transfer an hour-long HD show in about 7 minutes. That's fast enough for me.
Slingbox M1

Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
All I know is that from a regular Premiere on a MoCA adapter to the Elite with built-in MoCA, I can transfer an hour-long HD show in about 7 minutes. That's fast enough for me.
I never use MRV anymore since MRS is so much more convenient. I could see though perhaps for better 30ss & FF functionality to use MRV instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I move one or two shows a week; mostly stuff that has a 5-way conflict and can't be recorded directly on the Elite. (Yes, we have two times a week that we have a 5-way conflict - don't ask.)
Slingbox M1

Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I move one or two shows a week; mostly stuff that has a 5-way conflict and can't be recorded directly on the Elite. (Yes, we have two times a week that we have a 5-way conflict - don't ask.)
Without proper planning I would have conflicts as well. I divide out 6 most popular channels I record from so that 4 of them are always on Elite and 2 always on my Premiere. Though it takes conscious effort when setting up recordings this helps alleviate conflicts most of the time for me. Also helps when there are back to back recordings on same channel sometimes if I don't pad recording enough I can see the ending at start of next one.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use to have to do that with my 2 S3 units, but after buying the Elite I never have conflicts. In fact there are only a couple times a week when I see all 4 lights on.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I never tried any xfer between two TP-4s hard wired to a Gb port, so I have no idea if this gives one any speed improvement. Using the N adapter TP-4 to my hard wired TP-4 I do get about 70Mb/sec.
When I got my first Elite in 2011 and tested the speeds with the Gigabit connection, I saw peak throughput hit around 130Mb/s and average throughput exceed 100Mb/s. But this was also when transferring to/from multiple TiVos concurrently. A single transfer did not reach those speeds.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
ramblinche81

Is Gigabit overkill ?

Quote:
For streaming, anything over 100Mbs is overkill isn't it ?
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinche81 View Post
Not exactly you could have a number of streams going on at once several out and at least one in.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinche81 View Post
Not sure about that. Streaming 3 1080i HD recordings off one Tivo might stress 100Mbit.