TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
SNJpage1

The Following-Spoilers

I added the spoiler so that comments could be made to help explain why you might like or not like the show. Havent seen any comments about this show yet. Every one in the media was saying it couldnt keep up the pace of the first one. So far I think it has.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
ADG
Allan

There are several threads on The Following in this sub-forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Lock or delete.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Lock or delete.
Or you can take steps to ignore the thread and you won't have to see it.

Click on Thread tools -> ignore this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Every one in the media was saying it couldnt keep up the pace of the first one. So far I think it has.
This has created the opposite problem: burnout and desensitization. Serial killers are popping out of the woodwork and the protagonist is killing one each episode. "The following" must be a cult of epic proportions in order to keep supplying serial killers for the protagonist to kill at this rate.

This has a two pronged effect (as George Costanza would say). Firstly, it strains the believability of the plot that Joe Carroll has created such a huge following completely unknown to all authorities during his prison stay. Secondly, it makes each one of these followers very unimportant since the audience never gets sufficient time to care about them. A death spiral of character apathy.

Prediction: The series will officially jump the shark when Westin and Parker are revealed to be followers. Westin at the end of season 1., Parker at the end of season 2, assuming the series lasts that long.

I enjoy the show. It's too bad, but it just can't keep the momentum going forever at this pace.
SnakeVargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Or you can take steps to ignore the thread and you won't have to see it.

Click on Thread tools -> ignore this thread.
Hey, Jack, I've been around the block. I have MANY threads on ignore.....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post
This has a two pronged effect (as George Costanza would say). Firstly, it strains the believability of the plot that Joe Carroll has created such a huge following completely unknown to all authorities during his prison stay.
I generally enjoy this show but this point is what bugs me every week. They need to eliminate the face to face meetings in the prison or eventually I will snap and delete my season pass.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Timbeau

I really wanted to like this show, but its need to generate stronger and stronger drama forced me to cancel the season pass. I'm hoping it makes a descent back to reality sometime so I can pick it up again.

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
They need to eliminate the face to face meetings in the prison or eventually I will snap and delete my season pass.
I'm not following you here. The only "face-to-face" meetings that Carroll is having in prison right now are with the FBI. All the other face-to-face meetings that you see were flashbacks to before they knew he had this cult thing going on.

Are you saying that he wouldn't be meeting face-to-face with the FBI?
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
I'm not following you here. The only "face-to-face" meetings that Carroll is having in prison right now are with the FBI. All the other face-to-face meetings that you see were flashbacks to before they knew he had this cult thing going on.
I bet he means the ones in the Flashbacks. Do convicted serial killers have as much unmonitored access to visitors as Carroll did? How did he manage to get such a huge following without anyone becoming aware of it?

I wonder if someone else in this forum is correct, that Carroll is not really the mastermind behind this. Maybe he is just a figurehead and someone else not only put his following together but was the impetus behind Carroll becoming a serial killer in the first place. Maybe it will be like Burn Notice where whenever we find out who the big bad guy is there is another bigger bad guy behind him.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post

Are you saying that he wouldn't be meeting face-to-face with the FBI?
I'm referring to the writing and the plot device of flashbacks to meetings with Carroll, not to what the FBI should disallow. Sorry for being unclear. Having an unlimited number of visitors openly discuss murder with him and then no one having a clue about it is just too preposterous to put the suspension of disbelief blinders over for me. Even if we can assume we've seen all of the actual visitors, I just can't stop hating on the scenes where no one is paying attention to or recording the conversations where they openly discuss murder.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
SnakeVargas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I just can't stop hating on the scenes where no one is paying attention to or recording the conversations where they openly discuss murder.
Playing devils advocate in defense of the show perhaps the people who are supposed to be paying attention are more followers. He had at least one prison guard on his side. Maybe he had more. Maybe someone high up in the prison system is protecting him. Someone he met before being sentenced.

My hypothesis of followers within the prison infrastructure may be even more implausible than assuming nobody is paying attention but it does fit with the premise and nature of the show as we know it so far. I wonder if they will ever explain it or merely assume we are dummies who do not need an explanation.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeVargas View Post
Playing devils advocate in defense of the show perhaps the people who are supposed to be paying attention are more followers. He had at least one prison guard on his side. Maybe he had more. Maybe someone high up in the prison system is protecting him. Someone he met before being sentenced.

My hypothesis of followers within the prison infrastructure may be even more implausible than assuming nobody is paying attention but it does fit with the premise and nature of the show as we know it so far. I wonder if they will ever explain it or merely assume we are dummies who do not need an explanation.
I like the way you think. Maybe if we complain enough they will take notice and address it.