TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
innocentfreak

TiVo and Nintendo's Wii U

Apparently the new Wii U is going to have some built in support for TiVo.

The press conference is going on live now, but I wonder if this means we will be able to use it as an extender.

http://live.theverge.com/nintendo-wii-u-live-blog/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...vii-for-wii-u/
Quote:
It also integrates with TiVo DVRs. Upon clicking a channel listing on the GamePad, users can also watch it directly through their televisions. The GamePad acts as the center of the entire Nintendo TVii featureset. Users can choose a show, decide to favorite it, record it on the TiVo, share the listing with friends, and others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 09-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Aero 1

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/n...tvii-for-wii-u

Quote:
Nintendo showed off some of the Wii U's new television functionality during its New York City press event -- first unveiled during E3 2012 -- including a built-in DVR powered by TiVO, and search across several content providers (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant, and cable television). Nintendo's director of strategic partnership Zach Fountain's calling the service a "personalized program guide" and he showed off how you'll be able to interact with content -- movies and television shows can be searched via text entry, or explored in a general category sense (movies, tv, sports, etc.). If QWERTY text isn't your kind of thing, a rotary entry in the lower right corner offers another way to seek out content.

The service is only for US and Canadian Wii U owners for now, but Fils-Aime said the company's exploring an expansion into other parts of the Americas. Nintendo TVii is free with the purchase of a console this November.
interesting. engadget has pics of some kind of tivo integration.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
innocentfreak

Is it the DVR built in or does it work like an extender? It looks more like it might just support streaming from a Premiere rather than including it.

From one of the comments on engadget it sounds like an extender model where the Wii U schedules the recording.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

This is certainly different from how Tivo normally does things. Shouldn't Tivo have made an announcement about this like three years ago?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
sbiller

I think this is a Stream endpoint. Very cool!
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
trip1eX

Use your WiiU tablet controller to find stuff to watch on your DVR. Set recordings from your DVR.

Wonder if it is streaming to Wii U. If so awesome. I do know the WiiU controller has IR so it can turn on the tv. So maybe it will just switch tv inputs and act as a remote for the Tivo directly.

A bit strange though is that Nintendo's TVii initiative does what Tivo said they wanted to do. Be a one-stop shop content aggregator. You search through Amazon, Netflix and Tivo.

Nintendo has some interesting additions though. Profiles for instance. The stuff you want to watch is stored under your Mii.

So if your kid wants cartoons he sees cartoons under his Mii. IF you like to watch Madmen you'll see Madmen.

And the second screen lets you mess around without affecting what is on the TV. SEe other scores. Look up actors etc. Type in stuff. ...

Definitely overlap with Tivo and iPads and iPHones here, but interesting.

If it turns out to be an extender for Tivo I think that is a big breakthrough for Tivo and Nintendo although have to remind myself that Tivo's install base is fairly small.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is it the DVR built in or does it work like an extender? It looks more like it might just support streaming from a Premiere rather than including it.

From one of the comments on engadget it sounds like an extender model where the Wii U schedules the recording.
This picture makes it look like it will stream from the Premiere. My guess is that the Wii U can somehow stream from the Premiere and then send the video to it's controller.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
This picture makes it look like it will stream from the Premiere. My guess is that the Wii U can somehow stream from the Premiere and then send the video to it's controller.
I'm willing to bet money that it requires a TiVo Stream.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
innocentfreak

It probably will, but then if it supports Mpeg2 it wouldn't need it. Though even with a Stream it would allow you to have an extender albeit an expensive one if you don't use the Wii U for anything else.

Hopefully if we ever see the SDK things like this will open up to other platforms.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Aero 1

video. still not clear what it does. is this a 1 input device? the video shows "watch on ABC".

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/videos/#/nintendo-tvii

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
video. still not clear what it does. is this a 1 input device? the video shows "watch on ABC".

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/videos/#/nintendo-tvii
I think it hooks to your TiVo and also has a portable remote control / gaming device.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ke0tLjktWudh5A
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
sbiller

Video from Nintendo.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/#/features-tvii
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
jjd_87

Has anyone actually seen them streaming video from the Tivo to this? My bet is the video will just pop up on the TV. Similar to using your iPad as a remote.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I don't see why it would. The Wii U can already stream video to it's controller, so it must have it's own transcoding capabilities (be it to H.264 or whatever the controller supports). The only thing the Wii U would need to be able to do is decode MPEG-2 video, which even the Wii could do.

The only thing special about TiVo streaming video is the encryption. If Nintendo licenses the decryption algorithm from TiVo, then Nintendo can in effect build in TiVo mini functionality into the Wii U.

The Wii U specs indicate it is certainly powerful enough to do all this.

Last edited by morac : 09-13-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: correct link
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Say it ain't so.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
trip1eX

Quote:
I don't see why it would. The Wii U can already stream video to it's controller, so it must have it's own transcoding capabilities (be it to H.264 or whatever the controller supports). The only thing the Wii U would need to be able to do is decode MPEG-2 video, which even the Wii could do.

The only thing special about TiVo streaming video is the encryption. If Nintendo licenses the decryption algorithm from TiVo, then Nintendo can in effect build in TiVo mini functionality into the Wii U.

The Wii U specs indicate it is certainly powerful enough to do all this.
Plus who wants to stream video to the controller as much as wants to use the WiiU as an extender? My kid already watches his cartoons on his iPad.

But knowing Nintendo and Tivo and marketing I now expect the worst. Won't act as an extender. Will require Tivo STream to stream to controller. And some other catches as well. It can only get better from there.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Plus who wants to stream video to the controller as much as wants to use the WiiU as an extender? My kid already watches his cartoons on his iPad.

But knowing Nintendo and Tivo and marketing I now expect the worst. Won't act as an extender. Will require Tivo STream to stream to controller. And some other catches as well. It can only get better from there.
One point of the controller is so you can play the Wii U games on the controller while someone watches something else on the TV guessing not via the Wii U.

From the various blogs, it sounds like you can either watch on the TV or on the controller. When watching on the TV you will be able to use the Wii U controller to act like the TiVo iPad app.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
innocentfreak

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/w...mory-tivo-dvr/

Quote:
Fils-Aime also confirmed that the Wii U doesn't have TiVO hardware built into it -- functionality will require an existing TiVO box. The same goes for DVR functionality, which Fils-Aime said Nintendo doesn't want consumers to bear the expense of.
Doesn't sound like a Stream will be required.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

WoW!! This is the first I've heard of this. I wonder if there will be similar features with other devices soon?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
jrtroo
User

Boy, I'm certainly in the target market for this. I was thinking of getting a 4 tuner premiere and the mini once available (selling my HD and 2TB premiere), happy to skip moving to the U anytime soon.

But, wow, this could be great. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
innocentfreak

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/n...tvii-carriers/

Quote:
DVR and TiVO functionality are plugged in similarly, where users input information via web, and services resultantly pop up on the Wii U.
Sounds like either you enter your TiVo login or your MAK or some combination.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Grakthis

This just looks to me like the Tablet App for the WiiU. I don't see any reason to think it streams from the TiVo. Those sports screens could just be ESPN, like on the XBox.

If it streamed from the TiVo, wouldn't they be screaming about that everywhere? Unless it requires the streaming box etc.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's really freaking cool! I don't really have plans to get a WiiU, but that's still pretty freaking impressive.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
billypritchard
Embiggener

Depending on how the TiVo integration works, this very well could be a holiday purchase in my household.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
This just looks to me like the Tablet App for the WiiU. I don't see any reason to think it streams from the TiVo. Those sports screens could just be ESPN, like on the XBox.
It looks like Nintendo partnered with a bunch of different providers, including TiVo. So in essence it can stream from the TiVo and also access shows directly from the provider. So you can use the Wii U to watch "live TV" or schedule recordings on your TiVo and then watch them later.

Also remember, the Wii U isn't it's gamepad. The gamepad is simply a second screen. The Wii U can output video to a TV, the controller or both.

Quote:
If it streamed from the TiVo, wouldn't they be screaming about that everywhere? Unless it requires the streaming box etc.
Because it was only announced at Nintendo's press conference a few hours ago. I expect we'll hear more about it in the next 24 hours.

Here's Nintendo's video on it: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/

Here's a few news reports:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/ni...ion-explained/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409681,00.asp
Old 09-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I don't really see the usefulness for me. I don't want to watch TV on a wiipad. And I have a remote to change the channel..... or my iPhone.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
innocentfreak

Quote:
Because it was only announced at Nintendo's press conference a few hours ago. I expect we'll hear more about it in the next 24 hours.
Also per a tweet from DaveZatz, all info is coming from Nintendo. TiVo's PR isn't involved and he has no contact at Nintendo so we will probably have a decent wait for any info.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #28
anthonymoody

Well depending on how well this works, and what is and isn't required, it could be "the coolest thing ever!" HOWEVER, Nintendo's infuriating refusal to make the optical drive blu ray compatible (even thoug it will use 25GB media discs) means that it won't (ever) be the one box to rule them all.

Guess I have to wait for the PS4.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I do not see anything that makes me think this streams anything to the controller. I suspect it works very similar to an apple TV - the controller is nothing more than a second screen remote. Nothing streams to the controller - just pushes to the TV.

Nothing to see here...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #30
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I do not see anything that makes me think this streams anything to the controller. I suspect it works very similar to an apple TV - the controller is nothing more than a second screen remote. Nothing streams to the controller - just pushes to the TV.

Nothing to see here...
The Wii U has the ability to mirror what's on the TV on the controller, display it's output on the controller instead of the TV or display anything it wants on the controller. That's the whole gimmick of the Wii U system, so I don't see why the supported video wouldn't also be able to display on the controller.