TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
tiams

Catfish The TV Show

I was fascinated by the movie so I have been checking this out. So far I have seen the first 3 episodes. All episodes are online at mtv.com in HD and with adblocker the commercials are completely skipped.

The host is Nev from the movie. I like trying to guess what deep dark secret is being hidden. I am continually amazed that Nev convinces the liars/posers/fakers to meet their crushes and be exposed on TV.

It is not at all mean spirited and actually kind of a feel good show.

In the movie,
Spoiler:
I felt so bad for that poor woman who was posing as her own daughter. Having to take care of those severely disable kids that were not even her own would drive someone to do crazy things. And then to be exposed in a movie....sheesh. Nev was pretty gentle on her though. But then again he profited greatly from the experience.

tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Jstkiddn

While I was fascinated with the original documentary, somehow the TV version is falling a little flat for me. That said, I've watched most of them with liberal use of the fast forward button.

Spoiler:
I find it interesting that so far there hasn't been a single one turn out to be exactly who they advertised themselves to be.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
rahnbo

Spoiler:
Well, there was the one reverse Catfish where the suspicious person started out with a lie, came clean, then got suspicious herself and of course was being catfished. But I think they had a happy ending.
I think Nev and crew make some heavy editing choices in the convincing parts. I feel they take much longer than we know and it seems now that they can say
Spoiler:
we're doing a documentary for MTV that helps their case. In the first few episodes they didn't seem to be able to do that.

rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

The one with 'Keri Ann' and Joe was interesting. Episode 7 from Jan 7th. I don't want to say much more as I would spoil it for those that may see it later, but it wasn't what I expected.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
The one with 'Keri Ann' and Joe was interesting. Episode 7 from Jan 7th. I don't want to say much more as I would spoil it for those that may see it later, but it wasn't what I expected.
I agree. Out of the few episodes I've seen, this one had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going on.

Spoiler:
You'd think he would've recognized her voice on the phone. She was a true psycho though, with multiple profiles that went back years. No wonder they couldn't figure out who she was ahead of time.

I just started watching this series and like it. I've never seen the movie, though.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree. Out of the few episodes I've seen, this one had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going on.

Spoiler:
You'd think he would've recognized her voice on the phone. She was a true psycho though, with multiple profiles that went back years. No wonder they couldn't figure out who she was ahead of time.

I just started watching this series and like it. I've never seen the movie, though.
Spoiler:
Agreed. I even went back to confirm the voice, it did seem like she did change it a bit. Wonder how she had two different numbers (Google voice?

Also what was weird is how she knew the model's manager and was friends with him using the fake account as well as some guy who hooked up with her and confirmed the phone number.

Lastly the girl wasn't bad looking and was into modeling so her looks and personality (reads confidence) could get her a number of guys. If she liked Joe I don't see why she didn't tell him. I wonder if it was because she was doing the fake profiles to mess with people, yet she thought it was harmless fun (Max so called her out on it ), that she was messing with Joe at first and then realized that maybe she was attracted to him and was in too deep.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

The one episode that angered me was the black fat gay guy who pretended to be a white beautiful blonde. How that guy restrained himself from giving him an ass whooping is beyond me.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It's fun in a Jerry Springer train wreck sorta away. I only watched one episode because I only became interested because of the Manti T'eo scandal. The one I saw I thought they did a fair job of not doing a hatchet job on either part of the story.

I did learn about Google picture search which was nice
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Regarding the Sunny & Jamison episode, it was interesting that the follow-up took place 1 year later. The other ones I've seen they did a follow-up within a month or so. Wonder why they waited a year?

Sunny was the girl going to an Arkansas college, and Jamison was her online boyfriend that was a male model, a cue-card-writer for Chelsea Lately, and was taking online classes to be an anesthesiologist.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Regarding the Sunny & Jamison episode, it was interesting that the follow-up took place 1 year later. The other ones I've seen they did a follow-up within a month or so. Wonder why they waited a year?

Sunny was the girl going to an Arkansas college, and Jamison was her online boyfriend that was a male model, a cue-card-writer for Chelsea Lately, and was taking online classes to be an anesthesiologist.
Sunny & Jamison, being S01E01, was probably the Pilot which sold the series. Once the series sold, they had the green light to proceed with more episodes. The documentary movie greenlit the series pilot, which then sold the series.
That's my theory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getreal : 01-22-2013 at 05:18 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Ok, that actually makes sense. I'll buy it.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
inaka

That last episode with Ebony and the guy was utterly insane.

Spoiler:
Holy double-catfish, Batman!!

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
That last episode with Ebony and the guy was utterly insane.

* SPOILER *
We're watching it now. Agreed!!!!