TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
dave13077

Router suggestions

I am thinking about changing out my router since it is around 4 years old. I want to switch it out before it starts having issues. I currently have a Dlink 655 that has served me well. Any suggestions of a router that will be both good for today but also future proof as I am thinking it should go 4 or 5 years.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Netgear R6200 - supports the new .ac standard. Or if you are on a budget, TP-Link TL-WDR4300 (dual band N).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Why do you think a router would fail after only 4 years?

Anyway, if you are going to replace a perfectly good N router, get a new AC one. You'll have to replace the wifi in every device that connects to it if you want a performance increase. If not, then there is no reason to get a new one.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
poppagene
User

I'd seriously think about a actiontec MI424WR. I picked up this on ebay for $48 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150970900339...84.m1497.l2649 It has gigabit ethernet, wireless n and moca (which is built into the 4 tuner S4 tivos).
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I'd seriously think about a actiontec MI424WR.
That looks really nice. Having MoCA built-in is great.

What are the USB ports for?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
That looks really nice. Having MoCA built-in is great.

What are the USB ports for?
At present not usable -- according to the manufacturer:

In the future, with a firmware release upgrade, the USB host functionality will be available for devices such as external storage and cameras.

The netgear model stevel mentioned has working usb for external storage that also is considered to be tivo ready.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Why do you think a router would fail after only 4 years?

Anyway, if you are going to replace a perfectly good N router, get a new AC one. You'll have to replace the wifi in every device that connects to it if you want a performance increase. If not, then there is no reason to get a new one.
How long should a router last? I would assume it varies greatly by device and conditions. I am thinking it would be better to replace it before it fails. If the router does fail than it could be 2-3 days before I could get things up and running between having to buy it, wait for it to ship and install.

If I replace it before it fails than I can do it on my terms (buy it somewhere to save $$ and not have to panic purchase and just take what ever I could find locally.)

Of course maybe I am going about this all wrong....
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
mr.unnatural

I just built my own using pfsense (Linux distro). Now I just need to find a time when I can call Verizon tech support and have them release the lease on my current router. I'm on FIOS and the ONT apparently doesn't want to give it up on it's own without some intervention from the front office.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 01-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
P42

@mr.unnatural just leave your router unplugged from the FiOs box for 2hrs so that it misses the next DHCP lease renew, at which point Verizon will drop the lease. Then just plug it back in. I did this on Saturday night when I swapped in a replacement router. Though I've not previously had to do this, so I was surprised.

I was replacing a perfectly working Asus 520GU running tomatousb with a Netgear WNDR3700 running Gargoyle which is based on OpenWRT so that I could have gigabit ports. For now I've disabled N as I've no need for it.

edit:
And you might want to remove that "for sale" reference, before one of the mods deletes your post - there is a for sale section somewhere.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Johncv

You may want to hold off, D-Link show this at CES:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-li...-35566998.html

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I just built my own using pfsense (Linux distro). Now I just need to find a time when I can call Verizon tech support and have them release the lease on my current router. I'm on FIOS and the ONT apparently doesn't want to give it up on it's own without some intervention from the front office.

If anyone's looking for a good dual-band N600 wireless router I have an Asus RT-N56U that I bought on Black Friday that's still new in the box. I hooked it up to my network but couldn't get it to obtain an IP address from Verizon (it's the lease issue with Verizon, not the router). It currently sells for $108 with free shipping on Newegg. I'll let it go for $80 with free shipping (this is at or below the average selling price on ebay for a used model). Send me a PM if interested. I've been meaning to post it on ebay but just haven't had the time.
I use a couple of the RT-N56U routers with my FiOS connection. They replaced my DLink DGL4500 gaming router. That was working great after 5 years but I was getting more and more devices on my network so I needed a router with more throughput(I had reached seventy devices at one point). The RT-N56U fit the bill since it had mature custom firmware and was relatively inexpensive. I didn't see a reason to pay alot of money for wireless AC yet since the prices are high for the devices and I would have needed to purchase several of them to replace the Dlink Bridges That I currently use. I did that when I got my DGL4500 router and even though it served me well I paid too much for it when it first came out.

As far as the IP address being released. You should release the IP address before changing routers. Otherwise the IP address should release on it's own in a couple of hours. At least that has always been my experience during the 5+ years I've had FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 01-14-2013 at 06:53 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You may want to hold off, D-Link show this at CES:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-li...-35566998.html
That came a little to late for me. I was wondering if they would ever come out with a replacement for my DGL4500. But now that I've moved on to my Asus RT-N56U router, I have been extremely pleased with it's performance for gaming and everything else.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I am thinking about changing out my router since it is around 4 years old.
Gee, I've got half a dozen routers and I don't think any of them are even that new. I use the old blue colored Linksys G routers and burn them with DD-WRT so I can use them as bridges and repeaters.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
mrsean

I have been using an Asus RT-N56U with FIOS too for the past 9 months. So far, I haven't had a single issue with it. The 5Ghz band is really fast. This router replaced my 5 y.o. Dlink 655 which I passed on to my mother.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
SuperGonz

I swapped my Actionrek 424 FiOS box for a ASUS RT-N16 last spring. Kept the MOCA line going through thier box but preferred the ASUS for its ease of TomatoUSB, printer & HDD inputs
SuperGonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
Azlen

Has the ac standard been finalized yet? I thought I read somewhere that it hadn't and any ac network equipment you buy today had a risk of not being compatible when it was finalized.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
HerronScott

Quote:
How long should a router last? I would assume it varies greatly by device and conditions. I am thinking it would be better to replace it before it fails. If the router does fail than it could be 2-3 days before I could get things up and running between having to buy it, wait for it to ship and install.
Without any moving parts, the likelyhood of failure should decrease once you get out of the infant mortality stage. I've never had one fail and only replaced them in order to upgrade wireless technology (B to AG and now N). My current AG wireless router is 8 years old and I'm only replacing it now to get wireless N.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
takeshi

Quote:
How long should a router last? I would assume it varies greatly by device and conditions.
The latter is true but unless you're subjecting it to extremely harsh conditions there's no point (IMO) in worrying about it unless it's exhibiting problems. Many people still the Linksys WRT54G and they were released back in 2002. I'm still using a WRT600N and it's nearly 6 years old. Like HerronScott, I've never had one fail and I've only upgraded for new tech.

Quote:
If I replace it before it fails than I can do it on my terms (buy it somewhere to save $$ and not have to panic purchase and just take what ever I could find locally.)
I have Amazon Prime and I always research even for situations like that. Your call to make based on your needs/wants/preferences.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use a couple of the RT-N56U routers with my FiOS connection. They replaced my DLink DGL4500 gaming router. That was working great after 5 years but I was getting more and more devices on my network so I needed a router with more throughput(I had reached seventy devices at one point). The RT-N56U fit the bill since it had mature custom firmware and was relatively inexpensive. I didn't see a reason to pay alot of money for wireless AC yet since the prices are high for the devices and I would have needed to purchase several of them to replace the Dlink Bridges That I currently use. I did that when I got my DGL4500 router and even though it served me well I paid too much for it when it first came out.

As far as the IP address being released. You should release the IP address before changing routers. Otherwise the IP address should release on it's own in a couple of hours. At least that has always been my experience during the 5+ years I've had FiOS.
That's exactly the same router I'm currently using. I logged onto my router and released the DHCP lease before disconnecting it. I then unplugged the battery backup and powered down the ONT for about 10 minutes or so. I connected my pfsense router/PC setup and configured the WAN and LAN ports. It appeared to pick up an IP address from Verizon as well as assigning IP addresses to devices on the LAN side, but nothing could connect to the internet. I left it connected overnight and it still wouldn't connect. Everything on the network could connect to other devices with no problems, just not the internet. I'll try leaving both routers disconnected overnight and see if the pfsense router connects the next day when I hook it back up. I'm off this Friday so I'll shut everything down before going to bed Thursday night and see how it goes.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
MeStinkBAD

Get an Airport Express. It's simple to setup, reliable, and should last for years.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
That's exactly the same router I'm currently using. I logged onto my router and released the DHCP lease before disconnecting it. I then unplugged the battery backup and powered down the ONT for about 10 minutes or so. I connected my pfsense router/PC setup and configured the WAN and LAN ports. It appeared to pick up an IP address from Verizon as well as assigning IP addresses to devices on the LAN side, but nothing could connect to the internet. I left it connected overnight and it still wouldn't connect. Everything on the network could connect to other devices with no problems, just not the internet. I'll try leaving both routers disconnected overnight and see if the pfsense router connects the next day when I hook it back up. I'm off this Friday so I'll shut everything down before going to bed Thursday night and see how it goes.
If I don't make any sense sorry, not an expert. In your setup do you still have a stand alone cable modem? If so, when you connect a computer directly to the cable modem can you access the Internet? If your new setup is also replacing the cable modem do you have to log into your account before it will work? I know with Frontier DSL when I replaced their unit with my own DSL Modem I had to log into my Frontier account through the modem before I could actually use it to access the Internet.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If I don't make any sense sorry, not an expert. In your setup do you still have a stand alone cable modem? If so, when you connect a computer directly to the cable modem can you access the Internet? If your new setup is also replacing the cable modem do you have to log into your account before it will work? I know with Frontier DSL when I replaced their unit with my own DSL Modem I had to log into my Frontier account through the modem before I could actually use it to access the Internet.
I'm on FIOS so my internet connection is through the ONT via ethernet cable. I had the Verizon techs set up the ethernet port on the ONT when they were here troubleshooting some issues I had with my internet connection a couple of years ago. The ethernet connection is normally connected via coax to a splitter and then connected to the Actiontek. The router has four ethernet jacks plus the wireless connection for connecting PCs or other networking hardware. Verizon has to activate the ethernet jack on the ONT in order to use that connection.

I don't have to log on to connect to the internet. Verizon gave me the Actiontek router originally but I replaced it with a D-Link gigabit gaming router when I upgraded my network wiring to CAT6. I connected the WAN port of the Actiontek to one of the LAN ports on the D-Link so it could still receive guide data for the STB in the master bedroom. I also use the Actiontek for wireless connection with a laptop. I have a Dell 24-port ethernet switch connected to one of the other LAN ports on the D-Link router and every other device in my house has a direct connection to the switch.

When I originally set up the D-Link router I seem to recall that I released the DHCP lease before swapping out the router. When I hooked up the new one it connected and assigned IP addresses to all of my other units without a hitch. I don't recall having an issue getting out to the internet from any PC on the network.

I did the same thing this time around but just couldn't connect to the internet. The pfsense router is basically a minimalist PC that boots from a hard drive containing a Linux distro and the router software. I just put it together using spare parts I had on hand. I'm using a dual-port Intel NIC and have one port set up for the WAN side and the other for the LAN. When it boots, I can see that it grabs an IP address from the DHCP server on the WAN side and connects to all of my devices on the LAN. It just doesn't want to allow my PCs to connect to the internet for some reason.

I ran into this same issue when I tried to set up the Asus router so I don't think it's a problem with the router itself. It's been several years since I installed the D-Link router so it's likely something has changed with the Verizon interface that's preventing a quick and easy swapout of the routers. I think it's just having a hard time breaking the lease on the previous router. I'm thinking I could clone the MAC address from the D-Link router and set it up on the pfsense router. I figure it's worth a shot at this point.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
jano18

I replaced my D-Link router with the Apple Time Capsule which is their AirPort Extreme with a built in hard drive to back up your PC or Mac. They are easy to setup & it has worked flawless for me since I have owned it. It is also very easy to extend your network range by adding additional AirPort routers to your network. I extended mine with an AirPort Express. I continue to use D-Link Gigabit switches in my network.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
HerronScott

Quote:
I ran into this same issue when I tried to set up the Asus router so I don't think it's a problem with the router itself. It's been several years since I installed the D-Link router so it's likely something has changed with the Verizon interface that's preventing a quick and easy swapout of the routers. I think it's just having a hard time breaking the lease on the previous router. I'm thinking I could clone the MAC address from the D-Link router and set it up on the pfsense router. I figure it's worth a shot at this point.
I was going to suggest that perhaps they had limited the MAC address and you needed to set your new router to have the same MAC as the old one.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
P42

Quote:
I'm off this Friday so I'll shut everything down before going to bed Thursday night and see how it goes.
How did this work out?

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
How did this work out?
I decided to wait until Friday night to shut things down. The wife left for her sister's this morning so I figured I'd hold off until after she left in case she needed to check her e-mail or the weather before leaving. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
ShayL

That is odd that releasing your ip address did not work. Did you power off your router immediately after release?

Here is the FIOS FAQ about the DHCP lease: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898?r=0.127271104642329
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
mr.unnatural

Yes, I disconnected the router immediately after releasing the lease. I posted an inquiry in the pfsense forums and, based on a reply I received, there's a chance I may have misconfigured the IP subnet on the WAN side, but I won't know until I get a chance to check it out.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
mr.unnatural

I finally got the pfSense router configured properly and now I'm connected to the internet. There was a checkbox on one of the configuration screens that's checked by default and I needed to uncheck it to allow internet access. Problem was, I needed access to the online pfSense video tutorials to step me through the setup and I couldn't access the internet with the router connected.

It was a classic Catch 22 situation. I had to try and remember all of the setup steps and then run it with no guidance. I'm lucky if I can remember what I did five minutes ago let alone try and remeber all of the steps in a complex tutorial. Fortunately, most of the settings were fairly logical and I had a lot of info written down that I needed to enter manually. Now I just have to keep an eye on it and see how well it works. There's a wealth of terminology and jargon associated with networking that I still need to learn so I've got a lot of reading to do.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

That's where a cellphone comes in handy if your router is down. That came in handy for me when FiOS borked my upgrade to the 150/65 tier and my services were down for almost a week.