Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
I watched the pilot episode last night and it was ok. Not great enough for me to be excited about it, but I am looking forward to the next episode.
Canadian shows are paced differently. It seemed in line with most of them.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #32
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
It reminded me too much of time trax.
I got a strong Time Trax vibe as well, but Time Trax is very much a product of its time, if you watch it now, just the dialogue will make you say, "This was a syndicated show produced in the early 90s." Most of the early 90s syndicated shows were throwbacks, adhering to a style the networks wouldn't touch. I still like the concept, so I don't mind it being dredged up again in a modern style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
I do agree there. I like Canadian TV, so it's fine with me.

The first episode didn't really grab me, but it's the first episode. One thing that did piss me off was a recent interview with Rachel Nichols, where she said something like, "I dare you to watch and not get hooked." I'm not hooked. But I will continue to watch.

It also had some recognizable actors. Bra'tac from Stargate SG-1, the kid from Jericho, and due to it being directed by 24's Jon Cassar, it had Roger Cross. I liked it.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
Timbeau

Quote:
it wasn't so much the pacing as the content. I like the pacing of a lot of Canadian shows, Da Vinci's Inquest was one of my favorites.

Spoiler:
One thing that bothered me about Continuum was that Kiera was accepted to be a cop without a check or even an showing of an ID. The Vancouver police were going to check but didn't because of the brutality of the crime. Also, without showing any extraordinary powers the rebels from the future were able to wipe out a couple of Vancouver police while the victims, with their guns drawn, seemed to stand by and watch them.

I do like the tech that Kiera has though, pretty cool stuff.

Edited to spoilerize stuff. My apologies for not doing it originally.

-- visionary

Last edited by Timbeau : 01-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Apparently Canadians suck at pacing then. The parts I've watched so far are paced worse than bad anime. This type of pacing would only be acceptable in a montage video on YouTube.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #35
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
i...One thing that bothered me about Continuum was that Kiera was accepted to be a cop without a check or even an showing of an ID....
That irked me the most...ridiculous. I'll keep the SP....for now. But it's on shaky ground for the first few weeks.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
...It also had some recognizable actors. Bra'tac from Stargate SG-1, the kid from Jericho, and due to it being directed by 24's Jon Cassar, it had Roger Cross. I liked it.

Greg
Hey! What about the cigarett smoking man from the X files--William B. Davis?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #37
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I yelled out loud when I saw him. Was looking around for Hank Mulder and Scully...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #38
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
One thing that bothered me about Continuum was that Kiera was accepted to be a cop without a check or even an showing of an ID. The Vancouver police were going to check but didn't because of the brutality of the crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That irked me the most...ridiculous. I'll keep the SP....for now. But it's on shaky ground for the first few weeks.
Spoiler:
They did eventually go back to that and hack her a background history that was clean and resolved the issue.

damn.. I just realized how hard it is to talk about this show with only 1 episode in legit US viewing so far, I have to spoiler almost everything
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #39
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Spoiler:
They did eventually go back to that and hack her a background history that was clean and resolved the issue.

damn.. I just realized how hard it is to talk about this show with only 1 episode in legit US viewing so far, I have to spoiler almost everything
But even doing what you said in the spoiler doesn't excuse the lack of continuity in the first episode in not dealing with it. Still ridiculous; any cop worth anything would check her story FIRST THING...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

It's my experience that there's no point in watching Canadian sci-fi (or a lot of other stuff on TV) if you can't suspend disbelief for the sake of enjoyment.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #41
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Continuum does improve greatly over the coming episodes. The story doesn't quite take the obvious direction that the first episodes might have you believe. By the end of the season I was extremely pissed to have to wait for the next season (and to have to hope there would be one).

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #42
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

They also address concerns from the very early episodes fairly quickly (quickly enough that, internet wags aside, it couldn't have been due to listening to complaints on the internet; it had to be internal or network complaints).

I suspect that somebody at the network looked at the pilot and said "We love this show and we're buying it, but you really need to fix this and this and this."
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #43
mlippert

Just wanted to chime in that I saw the 1st episode for the first time on Monday, and I really liked it by the end. I've already recommended it to a couple of other people.

I'm interested to see where it goes, and I'm glad to hear from several in this thread that it gets even better as the show goes on (of course those comments were from people who were not thrilled by the 1st episode, but even so :-)

One thing I liked was the ambiguous nature of who's on the "right" side. On the one hand you have terrorists (bad guys, cause nothing justifies those actions) fighting for a more free democratic government against what sounds like a repressive "corporate"? government although we didn't see enough of that side of the corporate government to really know, and I'm not sure if we will or not.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
One thing I liked was the ambiguous nature of who's on the "right" side. On the one hand you have terrorists (bad guys, cause nothing justifies those actions) fighting for a more free democratic government against what sounds like a repressive "corporate"? government although we didn't see enough of that side of the corporate government to really know, and I'm not sure if we will or not.
Yeah, the show really messes with the concepts of good guys and bad guys. It kind of reminds me of the Israel situation...sometimes you shudder in horror at one side's actions, and then you look at what the other side did.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #45
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, the show really messes with the concepts of good guys and bad guys.
I think it is more a case of bad institutions and bad institutions. The government is rotten, the terrorist group is amoral (the end justifies the means). All the groups are bad.

But individuals on the show can be good or bad.

It is an interesting way of looking at things, and it does seem to have the ring of truth.

Last edited by john4200 : 01-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #46
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I yelled out loud when I saw him. Was looking around for Hank Mulder and Scully...
I forgot all about him when I posted! After watching the show, I looked him up, he's 77 years old. He looks great.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #47
Timbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Continuum does improve greatly over the coming episodes. The story doesn't quite take the obvious direction that the first episodes might have you believe. By the end of the season I was extremely pissed to have to wait for the next season (and to have to hope there would be one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
They also address concerns from the very early episodes fairly quickly (quickly enough that, internet wags aside, it couldn't have been due to listening to complaints on the internet; it had to be internal or network complaints).

I suspect that somebody at the network looked at the pilot and said "We love this show and we're buying it, but you really need to fix this and this and this."
Ok, now I'm excited about the show.

-- visionary
Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #48
tvmaster2

was slow to adopt, but now I'm hooked. I love how Canadian shows are actually shot in the cities they put on display....Corner Gas, Doyle, Divinci, Little Mosque, and now Primeval: New World and Cracked. They are all shot where they say they are. I can't stand U.S. TV productions that are set in Cleveland and shot on a stage in L.A.
And it's true, Canadian TV is paced towards script (and obviously lower budgets) Oh yeah, Arctic Air = another winner. Too bad Americans can't see this stuff.

Should we tell them about Castle and Fringe?

Looking forward to the new season of Continuum.....
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #49
Amnesia
The Question

It seems to me that the husband knew that the terrorists were going to go back in time---he really freaked out when he saw Keira in the chamber and tried to get her out. Why else would he do that?

And future Alec also knew what was going to happen---he gave a little smile when everyone disappeared. This clearly suggests that young Alec's second time travel theory is what they're going with---there's only one timeline and you can't change it.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I though it was worth continuing....
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #51
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, the show really messes with the concepts of good guys and bad guys.
I enjoyed the pilot, but like you said, are there any "good guys" here?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I enjoyed the pilot, but like you said, are there any "good guys" here?
Stay tuned...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #53
philw1776

Hot cop babe from the future. Cool tech. Everything a nerd would love.
Me likey!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #54
Craigbob

I enjoyed it, but count me in on the list of those who thought Time Trax redux.

I'll give it a few more episodes to get better. I have to wonder if the prisoners have some sort of enhancement, they seemed to be stronger/move a lot faster than the 2012 humans.

Another thing that bugged me about the episiode, is if these guys are back in time with the knowledge they have, why try and rob a bank and kill cops in such a showy style? Why not place a few bets use their knowledge to do something to accomplish their goals. Obviously the corps have not taken over yet, so why not start a grassroots campaign to change public perceptions early?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #55
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
Why not place a few bets use their knowledge to do something to accomplish their goals. Obviously the corps have not taken over yet, so why not start a grassroots campaign to change public perceptions early?
One problem is that they were sent much further back than they were expecting, so they're not necessarily "prepared."

If I were sent back 65 years without preparation, I wouldn't be able to place any bets with foreknowledge until early October (the only 1948 sports result I know off the top of my head is the World Series, and that's only the ultimate result, not the individual games), and I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of beginning a campaign to affect some sort of positive social change.

I think I'd be tempted to just go ahead and kill Nixon or something, and I'm not even a terrorist.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #56
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I enjoyed it, but count me in on the list of those who thought Time Trax redux.

I'll give it a few more episodes to get better. I have to wonder if the prisoners have some sort of enhancement, they seemed to be stronger/move a lot faster than the 2012 humans.

Another thing that bugged me about the episiode, is if these guys are back in time with the knowledge they have, why try and rob a bank and kill cops in such a showy style? Why not place a few bets use their knowledge to do something to accomplish their goals. Obviously the corps have not taken over yet, so why not start a grassroots campaign to change public perceptions early?
What trainman said.

Plus: you have to give the show some time to answer your questions. None of the things you mentioned should bug you unless they don't address them by the end of the season. I think you're asking for way too much from just one episode.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #57
Timbeau

I just realized that it's been a while since I've seen an episode on my DVR. Has there been more than one episode broadcast on SyFy?

-- visionary
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I just realized that it's been a while since I've seen an episode on my DVR. Has there been more than one episode broadcast on SyFy?
There's been two episodes aired so far. If you have a first run season pass, it won't pick it up as the original air date is from last year.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #59
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
There's been two episodes aired so far. If you have a first run season pass, it won't pick it up as the original air date is from last year.
What's interesting is mine picked up the 2nd episode twice: one with OAD last year, the other with OAD the other day. It's typical of SyFy to screw up OAD's.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #60
Billyh1026
Randal Graves

Ok, I have a question for anyone that has the answer. I just watched "Playtime" and Alec was trying to figure out a password to reboot Kiera's CMR. When he's starting to guess the password he says something like "I should know what it is. I built it."

Question is...when did he find out that he designed her CMR in the future? Or, was that some sort of mess up by the writers? I missed something somehow...