TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

Looking to expand memory on TiVo Premier. Is this drive compatible?

This site advertises a "Western Digital WDBACW0010HBK My Book Essential External 1TB - USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Brand New" for $129.00

I'm confused whether this is compatible with TiVo Premier though. I've read here that it needs to be a Western Digital My Book DVR expander, which this sounds like, but the photo on this link looks like an internal HD, even though the description says "external". Can any of you experts tell me if I'm looking at the right product?

My wife has just told me she'd like her TiVo Premier to have more space, so I'm looking at my options for doing that right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
rainwater

No, that drive definitely will not work in a Premiere. In fact, I believe they discontinued the My DVR version that the Premiere works with. There may be a newer version that is compatible though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
[url=http://discountechnology.com/Western-Digital-WDBACW0010HBK-External-1TB-USB-Hard-Drive]My wife has just told me she'd like her TiVo Premier to have more space, so I'm looking at my options for doing that right now.
Upgrade the internal to 2TB (319 HD hrs)
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet
Upgrade the internal to 2TB (319 HD hrs)
I read in the stickies that this isn't possible with the premier, but maybe that sticky is outdated and needs to be replaced. Is there by chance a thread here on how to do this? I've done it on S2s but I have a feeling the process is different on a premier.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
xberk

Quote:
I read in the stickies that this isn't possible with the premier, but maybe that sticky is outdated and needs to be replaced. Is there by chance a thread here on how to do this? I've done it on S2s but I have a feeling the process is different on a premier.
I've bought (2) of these 2TB drives from these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Ti...item33632d3552

They come pre-formated for TIVO Premiere. Literally plug and play. All you need is the correct Torx screw driver (which they will send you if you request it) ... No problems .. 317 hours of HD time .. Excellent guys to deal with too.
xberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
The sticky is not current. It is possible on a premiere. Search for JMFS.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
P42

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
Super long thread covering upgrading the Premiere,
Just pick up a Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZCXK0I which once the prices come down should be ~$80.
The first post has everything you need, but, you may also need (and even though I use the same drive) to use wdidle to disable the disk idle timeout.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
DonaldBurns65144

Key wording is "USB" - the Premiere Tivo can not use a USB external drive. It needs eSATA interface external drive unit and even then needs the the correct hard drive inside the external box.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
timckelley
TCFer

Thanks for all these handy answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
Super long thread covering upgrading the Premiere,
Just pick up a Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZCXK0I which once the prices come down should be ~$80.
The first post has everything you need, but, you may also need (and even though I use the same drive) to use wdidle to disable the disk idle timeout.
I see the price is currently $150, which you think will come down to $80. I'm not sure my wife will be patient enough to wait for the $80 price, though 2 TB for $150 seems like a good deal by itself. I was only going to give her an extra 1 TB, but when I mentioned to her she could get 2 TB, I think she smiled at that idea. Plus I assume this replaces the current drive... maybe I can usurp that drive for more space in my PC in the study, as I think I could use some more space. (Our photo albums are getting pretty big these days.)

I think I'd like to now go this route instead of using the external HD method, as it seems to give more space for less money. I'll see how it goes when I step through the instructions you linked to.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
I think I'd like to now go this route instead of using the external HD method, as it seems to give more space for less money. I'll see how it goes when I step through the instructions you linked to.
Internal should also be more reliable (in that you have one less hard drive to fail - with an external drive if either goes both are toast [in terms of content]).
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
cherry ghost

Quote:
Thanks for all these handy answers.

I see the price is currently $150, which you think will come down to $80. I'm not sure my wife will be patient enough to wait for the $80 price, though 2 TB for $150 seems like a good deal by itself. I was only going to give her an extra 1 TB, but when I mentioned to her she could get 2 TB, I think she smiled at that idea. Plus I assume this replaces the current drive... maybe I can usurp that drive for more space in my PC in the study, as I think I could use some more space. (Our photo albums are getting pretty big these days.)

I paid $80 about 6 months ago, but prices have gone up with the recent hard drive shortages. It replaces the current drive, but you'll want to keep that as is in case the 2TB ever fails. That way you can put it back in or make another copy.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Plus I assume this replaces the current drive... maybe I can usurp that drive for more space in my PC in the study, as I think I could use some more space. (Our photo albums are getting pretty big these days.)

Basically you hook both drives to your pc using the internal sata connections and boot from the cd you created with the iso you downloaded and follow the instructions. It is quite simple if you can handle hooking the drives up to a pc.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
ShinySteelRobot

Upgrading the internal drive in a Premiere can be found in the Upgrade forum area, look for the super long thread on JMFS.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
compnurd

Thats a good deal to buy it from that guy already loaded to go. I would wait though until 20.2 is fully rolled out though if you have it already as it looks like you would lose it for the time being
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
rainwater

You will have to re-pair your cablecards if you change drives so be aware of that.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Thunderclap

Not to hijack, but can one upgrade the drive after buying lifetime subscription, or would this break contract?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
Not to hijack, but can one upgrade the drive after buying lifetime subscription, or would this break contract?
You lose your warranty but your lifetime still exists.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
You will have to re-pair your cablecards if you change drives so be aware of that.
Not necessarily true in all cases. Charter doesn't pair the cards to the machine and I also believe that Fios doesn't either.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Not if you copy old drive to new with JMFS.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
P42

Quote:
I see the price is currently $150, which you think will come down to $80. I'm not sure my wife will be patient enough to wait for the $80 price, though 2 TB for $150 seems like a good deal by itself. I was only going to give her an extra 1 TB, but when I mentioned to her she could get 2 TB, I think she smiled at that idea.
Paying an extra $70 to put a smile on ones wife's face is cheap money
It is likely to be several more months before the current hard drive spike in prices settles down to previous levels.
For some links to stories google: hard drive shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
If he changes to a hard drive that was not previously paired with his cable cards yes, but if he clones his existing hard drive to a new hard drive then no, it will already have the pairing info and wish lists.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
timckelley
TCFer

as for the guy that sells drives preformatted and ready to plug in, that's nice, but I assume my wife would lose all her NP, SPs and wishlists, which she doesn't want to lose.

It sounds like the ISO CD will preserve it all. I'm not sure how to re-pair cable cards, so it will be nice to avoid that, which sounds like I will by going this cloning route. (I assume running the ISO CD is what you mean by cloning the hard drive.)

This does sound simpler than back in the days when I upgraded my S2s. I had to run commands and be careful with syntax, reading instructions along the way, etc, when I did that, whereas it sounds like this CD automates a lot of that.

BTW, I just bought this premier last October (or maybe it was September), so I'm sure it's till under warranty. I guess this could be a sticky point of even doing this, but I don't think I've ever made a warranty claim in all the years I've had TiVos, and if the hard drive is what goes out, I'm replacing it anyhow.

I suppose I could worry about the motherboard, but I've only ever had one motherboard go bad, and that was on an S1 I'd used for a few years, and I bought it used from ebay to begin with.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
P42

The standard warranty is 90days, you pay ~$40 extra to extend that to a total of 3years.

There are other ways of moving the NP, SPs and wishlists, check in the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo section, it is either pyTivo or kmttg that has the capability of backing up and restoring them.

Yup, the ISO is what I was referring to for cloning. It is way simpler then ye olde S2 upgrade process. It will recognize the Tivo and new drives better, make an educated guess as to which is which and ask to you confirm, and then a few guided prompts. The hard part is opening the Tivo and computer, and waiting several hours for the clone.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42
There are other ways of moving the NP, SPs and wishlists, check in the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo section, it is either pyTivo or kmttg that has the capability of backing up and restoring them.
It seems like every single HD show my wife has tried to move from her TiVo to mine using HMO gets rejected because of copywrite protection or something. I read about this in another thread, and they say to blame Time Warner for this, instead of TiVo. OTOH, some people in that thread got pretty ticked, because they felt that when they bought the TiVo, it was marketed as being able to share shows with other TiVos.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
P42

Moving shows is something else all together. Tivo does have to respect the copywrite flag, the issue maybe how aggressive your supplier is setting the copywrite flag, and whether they are right in all cases. I'm not well versed in when it should and should not be applied, but I believe that what is available OTA in your area should not have the bit set, expect the bit to be set on Premium channels, the ones in-between I don't know. Others will be more knowledgeable on this.

In summary, Tivo does let you share shows, the cable company and license holders are the limiting factor.

With the new firmware on the Premiere, streaming not moving, is possible between Premieres, but this will not support pre-Premiere Tivos.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
xberk

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Moving shows is something else all together. Tivo does have to respect the copywrite flag, the issue maybe how aggressive your supplier is setting the copywrite flag, and whether they are right in all cases. I'm not well versed in when it should and should not be applied, but I believe that what is available OTA in your area should not have the bit set, expect the bit to be set on Premium channels, the ones in-between I don't know. Others will be more knowledgeable on this.

In summary, Tivo does let you share shows, the cable company and license holders are the limiting factor.

With the new firmware on the Premiere, streaming not moving, is possible between Premieres, but this will not support pre-Premiere Tivos.
I'm not so sure how the copyright flag is set on commercial programming. But when I "push" my own home video via pyTIVO from my PC to my Premiere, the flag gets set -- but if I "pull" the same video (initiate the transfer from my TIVO) from the same PC to the same TIVO the flag is not set. Imagine my shock when I couldn't transfer my own home video between my two TIVOs .. That FLAG was clearly set by TIVO not the copyright holder, namely me ! I think I have all this correct .. can someone else confirm?
xberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
MichaelK

is there an external option for the premiere elite's that anyone is aware of?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
DeWitt

Internal with JMFS is the way to go. I have two machines rocking 2 TB each. The upgrade was easy, all recordings settings etc are preserved and I keep the old drives as a backup or reinsert for warranty repaair. I used USB/SATA adapters which is slower, but still I let it run overnight and everything was good in the morning. Using the usb adapters I did not even have to open the case of my PC.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
P42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberk View Post
I'm not so sure how the copyright flag is set on commercial programming. But when I "push" my own home video via pyTIVO from my PC to my Premiere, the flag gets set -- but if I "pull" the same video (initiate the transfer from my TIVO) from the same PC to the same TIVO the flag is not set.
Ask over in the TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo section, someone there will no doubt have a better understanding.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
P42

DeWitt, it is not clear if you are responding to timckelley or MichaelK. If MichaelK then your reply is un-helpful at the Elite ships with a 2TB drive internally.

MichaelK, the external drives that work with the regular Premiers should work with the Elite. But be aware of the disadvantage of using an external drive.
Weakness does offer a 2TB external for $449
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #30
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
Internal with JMFS is the way to go. I have two machines rocking 2 TB each. The upgrade was easy, all recordings settings etc are preserved and I keep the old drives as a backup or reinsert for warranty repaair. I used USB/SATA adapters which is slower, but still I let it run overnight and everything was good in the morning. Using the usb adapters I did not even have to open the case of my PC.

if you are replyng to me, the Elite comes with e 2 TB drive. But i want more. I'm afraid that with 4 tuners it might not be enough.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote