Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
dthmj
Hinky

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Thread

Anyone still watching?

We watched the entire 8 previous seasons this past summer. We finished up mid August, so at least we did not have to wait long for the season premiere.

I'm really not sure yet how I felt about the episode.

But I noticed a few familiar faces in the new interns - Smash from Friday Night Lights, and the friend from Big Love (I don't know any of their names). I'm assuming they will be regulars. They lost a lot of cast, so they'll need some new regulars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

We're still watching. Interesting kill-off from last season.

Though, I would have much preferred to lose Owen than Mark. Owen's angry scowl just gets old. Hopefully they'll break the relationship story with Yang; she's fine all on her own.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Lori
Social Defective

I'll miss Mark.

Other than that, I'm in a wait and see place. I'm not sure how much more torture these people can be expected to endure.

The 'friend from Big Love' is Tina Majorino. She was a regular on Veronica Mars, and had an arc on Bones last year as an FBI agent. The is one of my favorites, so I'm sticking around just to see what they do with her.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Shakhari

Supposedly ABC wanted to slash the budget, so they had to dump some of the cast. By all accounts, Chyler Leigh wanted out to spend more time with her kids and Kim Raver wasn't happy with her screen time, so they were easy decisions. I get the impression Eric Dane didn't really want to leave, but found himself the odd man out with Lexie gone.

I was surprised that Tina Majorino wasn't the most prominent of the new interns. She's certainly a bigger name than the other actress.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Shakhari

Oh, and what's up with Meredith being an attending while the others are on fellowships?
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I get the impression Eric Dane didn't really want to leave, but found himself the odd man out with Lexie gone.
I think it more likely that he was the highest paid actor in the cast that they could get rid of...

I thought it was a pretty depressing episode.

I also wish they had given us a little recap from last season cos I couldn't for the life of me remember what happened to Arizona - I thought she was dead until she showed up. yikes.

I remember the plane crash I remember Lexie kicking it I remember Derek's hand being hurt... but that was it.

Last edited by Cainebj : 09-28-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
markp99
TakoKichi

Next week is supposed to tell us the whole story...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Why a season long thread? Sorry, but there is no need or reason for season long threads for full season series.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
jehma

Mark :-(
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Why a season long thread? Sorry, but there is no need or reason for season long threads for full season series.
You are free to start an episode thread

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog

Last edited by dthmj : 09-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
historically speaking no one posts individual episode threads for grey's anymore
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
I'll miss Mark.

Other than that, I'm in a wait and see place. I'm not sure how much more torture these people can be expected to endure.
Amen to this.

I've been watching a lot of re-runs of M*A*S*H on TV Land lately, which has brought back the feeling I've always had, which is that M*A*S*H handled cast changes better than any show on television ever. They had the ideal situation -- people get transferred in the military, so you don't have to go through conniptions just to have a plausible reason for someone leaving. However, every time they had to change up the major cast members, they used it to the show's advantage, and the ensemble just got stronger and stronger.

I don't have any problem with shaking up the cast, but this? Losing Mark Sloan from the ensemble, and keeping Arizona -- and a whiny, depressed Arizona at that -- ugh. I'm just not looking forward to this.

A lot of the time now, I watch GA and PP and say "boy, I really miss Off the Map" -- but I suppose that's only because OtM was fresh, and the show was cancelled before those characters were run into the ground.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
More and more it seems that people don't have much to say about a lot of shows, so unless there's a season-long thread, no one says anything, and no threads get started at all.

I think it's easier to have separate episode threads, but if the traffic doesn't warrant it, better to have a season-long thread than nothing.

For the season-long threads, I've been nudging people to put the episode title and air date in the post title if they're posting the first post for the new episode each week. It's nice and bold and makes it easier for people who aren't caught up to know when the new discussion starts each week. So I'd appreciate it if we could do that here.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Gerryex

I've watched all the seasons so I'm still hanging in! I was kind of disappointed with this episode as I was expecting to find out how they were rescued but I now see that will be next week's episode.

I did get a kick out of Yang's new hospital where her expertise is just not good enough and she is asking herself how she got into such a situation.

Hat's off to William Daniels kind-of reprising his role from St Elsewhere!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Archangel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I don't have any problem with shaking up the cast, but this? Losing Mark Sloan from the ensemble, and keeping Arizona -- and a whiny, depressed Arizona at that -- ugh. I'm just not looking forward to this.
Not only that but whiny arse Kepner too. Since Capshaw was preggers during most of the shooting season hopefully her on screen time will be VERY limited. They should have canned those two. Surely that would have saved them enough to keep Dane around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I was kind of disappointed with this episode as I was expecting to find out how they were rescued but I now see that will be next week's episode.

I did get a kick out of Yang's new hospital where her expertise is just not good enough and she is asking herself how she got into such a situation.

Gerry
Me too. On both counts. Yang's situation and "Booty Call Bailey" were about the only interesting/amusing things to be found here.

I was left with the impression that it was over the next few weeks. I sure hope I'm wrong. This plane crash business needs to be sewn up, and let's get back to some normal Grey's drama and shenanigans. (WITH NO MORE HUNT/YANG CRAP!!)
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
We're still watching. Interesting kill-off from last season.

Though, I would have much preferred to lose Owen than Mark. Owen's angry scowl just gets old. Hopefully they'll break the relationship story with Yang; she's fine all on her own.
Owen is HAWT! We do not want to lose Owen!

We can certainly lose the Owen/Christina pair - he deserves better.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
The 'friend from Big Love' is Tina Majorino. She was a regular on Veronica Mars, and had an arc on Bones last year as an FBI agent. The is one of my favorites, so I'm sticking around just to see what they do with her.
She'll always be the kid from Waterworld to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post

The impression I got was that Yang still has near perfect technique, it's just that she came from a cut throat competitive environment to this commune like situation. Yang is a competitive type A personality. I think she is suffering from culture shock.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
markp99
TakoKichi

I wonder (story-wise), did Yang go to the Mayo Clinic in MN? The image they portrayed of that hospital, with their "our patients are the superstars" motto, was pretty poor.

My surgeon from last year here near Boston was clearly an arrogant SOB - just what I would want and expect.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
The impression I got was that Yang still has near perfect technique, it's just that she came from a cut throat competitive environment to this commune like situation. Yang is a competitive type A personality. I think she is suffering from culture shock.
That's what I meant! Her expertise is still near perfect but that in and of itself is not good enough at her new job. Her weakness has always been working with others and a horrible bedside manner. But it seems at this new hospital those two latter factors are now just as important, if not more important, than just plain old perfect execution of procedures!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
Anyone still watching?

We watched the entire 8 previous seasons this past summer. We finished up mid August, so at least we did not have to wait long for the season premiere.
Wow 8 seasons in 1/2 of a summer? 180 hours or so. Impressed.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I thought Arizona was dead too, and I was bummed when she turned up.

Her character is annoying.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Cainebj

Remember the Time 10/04/12

I dunno I think this episode should have come before last's weeks where all I was thinking was I must have missed one...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Owen is HAWT! We do not want to lose Owen!

We can certainly lose the Owen/Christina pair - he deserves better.
I think the actor is hot, but I hate the character. I'd be happy to see him go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I thought Arizona was dead too, and I was bummed when she turned up.

Her character is annoying.
Same here, I can't stand the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I dunno I think this episode should have come before last's weeks where all I was thinking was I must have missed one...
I agree. I really wish they would have swapped the order. I'm sure they think it's 'artsy' to do the flash back thing, but I just find it annoying. I don't want to know what happens first, like Mark dying and AZ losing a leg, and then find out how it happened.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I agree. I really wish they would have swapped the order. I'm sure they think it's 'artsy' to do the flash back thing, but I just find it annoying.
+1
Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #26
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I think they must have swapped them to avoid Private Practice having a spoiler for that week's Grey's Anatomy.

The way the two shows were originally scheduled when Private Practice was new, we would have seen what happened on GA first and then seen the crossover event on PP in the second hour.

Now PP is on Tuesday and GA is on Thursday. If they had left the GA episodes in story-chronology order, there would have been spoilers in the week 2 episode of PP.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
Cainebj

I did watch the PP episode after and thought wow what would have happened if I had time shifted GA and watched PP first...

That doesn't seem like a good reason.
I think they are just more enamored i.e. they think they are clever if they are non-linear with the storytelling.

Personally I am over it just tell the damned story in order:
Fringe, Revenge, Lost and so many others...
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
I did watch the PP episode after and thought wow what would have happened if I had time shifted GA and watched PP first...

That doesn't seem like a good reason.
I think they are just more enamored i.e. they think they are clever if they are non-linear with the storytelling.

Personally I am over it just tell the damned story in order:
Fringe, Revenge, Lost and so many others...
Yeah, but Memento was an EXCELLENT movie...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
Archangel00

Quote:
100% agree, and felt exactly the same way during ep 1. Shonda (or whoever she left in charge) has pretty well screwed this show up. (over and over again now.) The only reason I keep hanging on to this one now is really just about the time invested in the entire series.(when it was once really good.) That and Sandra Oh, who did a really nice job in this episode btw.

I sure hope she doesn't start doing crap like this with Scandal, as time goes by.

Last edited by Archangel00 : 10-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
zalusky

You guys are so bad! You make it sound by rearranging the first two episodes she spoiled the second one.