TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
tiams

App for keeping up with TV show episodes

I was wondering what apps people prefer to use to organize their TV viewing and to keep up with what seasons/episodes they have seen and to be notified when new episodes air. What are your favorite features of whatever app you use?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
innocentfreak

I use Trakt.TV. They have various apps made by third parties but I use their website.

It syncs with theTVDB. You can mark the show on a watchlist so the home page will show anything on your watchlist airing that night in a customized grid guide style. You can also mark what episodes and seasons you have watched. I believe you can also track what content you own also though I never used it for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

There's a thread on this from last time I was asking, but of course I can't find it now
I looked at several and wound up with EpTracker, it's been perfect for what I wanted it to do, the others had more screens and info, this just lets me tick them off and save to Dropbox.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
danterner
Not it!

If you're talking iOS, my favorite (and I've tried most of them) is "itv shows 2"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itv-...517468168?mt=8
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I just let my DVR track it. I check the ToDo list at the beginning of each week. And since it's a DVR, it's no biggie if I "miss" when it airs, since I recorded it, I can watch it any time
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I just let my DVR track it. I check the ToDo list at the beginning of each week. And since it's a DVR, it's no biggie if I "miss" when it airs, since I recorded it, I can watch it any time
I imagine you are just trying to be funny, nevertheless, I will respond. I also have a DVR but it does not do everything I want. There are many shows that I watch on Netflix or HULU or some other means. I would like to be able to keep up with which seasons and which episodes of those shows I have watched. I may have watched 4 episodes of season three and not go back to that show for months so it would be nice to have something tell me where I left off.

I would also like something that lists how many seasons or episodes there are of something so I know what I still need to find and watch. In particular, I am going through all of Derren Brown's shows and specials but I do not watch them in order and not all of his Specials are available at all times. It would be nice to see a list of what I still need to watch. Same goes for many shows on the History Channel. I watch episodes of IRT or Stan Lee's Superhumans and many other shows online but not always in order.

My young daughter likes to know which episodes of Arthur she has seen out of the 1000s that seem to exist.

I am OTA only, so I watch many of the shows I like online (all PBS, History channel, MTV, and TNT shows). I would like something to tell me when new episodes of those shows air since my DVR will not know.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Take a look at TV Guide's online Watchlist:

Demo here:

http://www.tvguide.com/special/watch...ist-video.aspx

It allows you to keep track of shows no matter what the source: OTA, online, etc.

And for a basic reference to cross-check what episodes exist, I like www.epguides.com.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 12-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I use series guide : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.seriesguide
Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Previous thread was here as http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489996
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That's a good one, I'm currently using it side by side with the one I started with, TV Show Favs, to see which I like better. I'm leaning toward SeriesGuide.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
If you're talking iOS, my favorite (and I've tried most of them) is "itv shows 2"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itv-...517468168?mt=8
I got this on your recommendation from another thread (IIRC) and it is pretty good.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Bob Coxner

Do any of these cover the BBC in the UK? I use a VPN to watch BBC shows on iPlayer in the US and could use a tracker. Do any of them cover original series on stream sources, such as the upcoming Arrested Development on Netflix and all the new series being developed by Amazon? Hulu also has exclusive series that I follow, such as Spy and Prisoners of War. Any of these cover those? I would definitely want one that sends alerts.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Do any of these cover the BBC in the UK? I use a VPN to watch BBC shows on iPlayer in the US and could use a tracker. Do any of them cover original series on stream sources, such as the upcoming Arrested Development on Netflix and all the new series being developed by Amazon? Hulu also has exclusive series that I follow, such as Spy and Prisoners of War. Any of these cover those? I would definitely want one that sends alerts.
The answer to all of these, for iTV Shows 2, is yes. It tracks overseas shows. It tracks original shows from streaming sources (such as season 4 of AD and Lilyhammer on Netflix, H+ and Blood and Chrome on YouTube, etc.) I looked up Spy and Prisoners of War and found entries for both (but I'm not sure they were Hulu shows - the former was a british show and the latter Israeli?) It also can push an alert when the show is about to air, for all shows or just those you select, and you can configure how much in advance you want to get the notification.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
The answer to all of these, for iTV Shows 2, is yes. It tracks overseas shows. It tracks original shows from streaming sources (such as season 4 of AD and Lilyhammer on Netflix, H+ and Blood and Chrome on YouTube, etc.) I looked up Spy and Prisoners of War and found entries for both (but I'm not sure they were Hulu shows - the former was a british show and the latter Israeli?) It also can push an alert when the show is about to air, for all shows or just those you select, and you can configure how much in advance you want to get the notification.
Yeah, Spy is Brit and POW is Israeli (and the inspiration for Homeland) but they're exclusive to Hulu here.

I'm trying iTV Shows 2 but I've already run into a problem. I can't find any way to tell it what my tv sources are, such as DirecTV. I wanted to set tracking for The Hour but the only option is BBC Two, rather than BBC America, and those episodes have already aired in the UK while the BBCA episodes haven't. Rake is another series I love and follow on the Audience Network on DirecTV. However, iTV only has it for the Australian network ABC1, which doesn't help me. And, Call Me Fitz. I watch it on the Audience Network but iTV only has it for HBO Canada. Again, no help.

I'm also trying a free app, i.TV, and it does allow me to set DirecTV and my local OTA channels. iTV Shows doesn't have an option for my locals. However, i.TV doesn't cover Hulu, Amazon, Netflix or iTunes. One other thing I like about this app is I can pick a channel and scroll through two weeks of programming. http://www.appshopper.com/entertainment/i-tv One downside for me is the max alert time you can set is one hour. I prefer at least a day in advance so I can set my DVR.

I guess I'll have to use a combination of apps to get exactly what I want.

Edit: here's another good one I found: http://www.appshopper.com/entertainment/tv-guide-mobile

Last edited by Bob Coxner : 12-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
tiams

I'm trying three different ones : Episodes, iTV Shows, and TV Tracker. I like different things about each one.

I like Episodes because it is minimalist and clean while still doing everything I need. It even allows me to track all the shows that air outside the U.S. I can keep up with any country's edition of Big Brother, all the Derren Brown shows I love, and the BBC shows.

TV Tracker has the handy feature of being able to mark when you have "acquired" an episode as well as when you have watched it. I also like the custom filters I can do for episodes.

I haven't found anything iTV can do that the others can't. But I may be missing something.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Episodes tracks BBC shows and all other UK channels.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
cal_s7

I'll have to go though the various suggestions above. I've been looking to change to a new system.

Currently I use a Note based system. (I ready need a good database that can sync with my ipad) But the last time I've done any database design was about 15years ago. I think it was in Paradox so that shows how long ago it was.

I use Simplenote on the web. I like how it syncs to my ipad and can search content as well as how it takes you directly to the found results.

Easy web access as well as ipad access is important because I do my bulk editing and importing on the computer and check stuff off on the ipad as I watch stuff.

I wrote a simple data scraper for another site then modified it for "The TVDB" a couple years ago. It grabs Season, ep, title for each ep in a season. (I'm considering saving the air date instead of stripping it like I do now)

This goes into a note for that show in Simplenote, one line per episode. shows also have overall tags in simplenote depending on show status.

A normal line is something I have not watched.
An indented line is something watched and also exists in my BTV database.
dashed line is something watched and does not exist in the BTV database.

I have abandoned BTV after several years of use but still have the database, should I swap to a new pvr system I'll write a converter and import the data. But even before I stopped using it there where downloads,dvds and so forth for stuff watched outside of that pvr database.

Last 6 months I've been putting the current date at the end of the line to mark when I watched it.

There is a separate note for movies that has Title, year and watched date. that one goes back a few years....Hmm. looks like it goes back to 2008. I think ep data is goes back further but I've only recently started doing watched dates on those. Hmmm ep data.... I do have a completed list that got a one line entry when I finished watching a series that is no longer being made. It has completion dates going back to 2008 as well. But there are are a further 35 series listed before I started marking dates. So I guess I've been doing this for awhile.

The methods have changed over time.

Why do I do this?
I watch some shows in spurts. It may be months before I come back to a series. I like to know where I left off. (and now, when that was). I watch from various sources and not many of them have a built in database like the PVR did. I like a simple but central method that I control. This lets me know before I start the episode If I missed an ep so I can stop and get it if needed. Some shows like "outer limits" or "wipeout" can be watched out of order but I still want to see them all. This lets me watch as they come on but track what has been watched. Lots of my recordings/downloads are automated but mistakes can be made and I can edit status on the fly.

Thats most of the important stuff.

I'll check out the stuff listed above so far. But any recommendations on what might suite my needs based on what I've wrote?

Wow. I had no intention of writing that much. Oh well.
cal_s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
tiams

cal_s7, I think you will like TV Tracker. Sounds like you would value the ability to mark episodes as acquired or not and you would make good use of the customizable filters.

I'm leaning towards Episodes myself. It is very clean. The watchlist separates unseen and upcoming episodes. Shows are ordered by which has a new episode coming up soonest and it notes how many days until the next episode of each one. For instance, my The Walking Dead entry says S03E09- The Suicide King next episode airs in 38 days. And it was free.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I tried this and hated it. It is constantly "downloading" and takes forever.