TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
jlholmes-100

MoCa and Tuning adapters

I need adivice on what equipment I need. My head hurts from 4 hrs. of reading posts I believe if it were not for the awful tuning adapters required by Brighthouse this would be a cake walk.

Goal: Connect Tivo Mini using MoCa from Living Room to XL4 in Office (No wired ethernet available)

Current Environment: Currently Not using MoCa
Premiere XL4 - Wired ethernet to Nighthawk Router and Tuning Adapter to Cable in Office

Premiere - 2 tuners - Wireless ethernet to Nighthawk Router and Tuning Adapter to Cable in Family Room

So, how many MoCa Network Adapters and POE Filters would I need and where would they be placed?

jlholmes-100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlholmes-100 View Post
I need adivice on what equipment I need. My head hurts from 4 hrs. of reading posts I believe if it were not for the awful tuning adapters required by Brighthouse this would be a cake walk.

Goal: Connect Tivo Mini using MoCa from Living Room to XL4 in Office (No wired ethernet available)

Current Environment: Currently Not using MoCa
Premiere XL4 - Wired ethernet to Nighthawk Router and Tuning Adapter to Cable in Office

Premiere - 2 tuners - Wireless ethernet to Nighthawk Router and Tuning Adapter to Cable in Family Room

So, how many MoCa Network Adapters and POE Filters would I need and where would they be placed?
Hi,
You will need one filter on the input to the first splitter to enter your home. You will need one filter for the input to each TA you are using...sounds like a total of 3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-MoC...QAAOSwm8VUu-u1
It is recommended that you use a 2 way splitter with one leg feeding the input of the TA and the other leg going to your Tivo DVR.
Depending on what cable modem you have, you may need a filter on the input to that also. Some have filters builtin or are MoCA capable but many are not. If you have trouble with the throughput or intermittent connectivity via MoCA, it is often due to poor quality cabling or your splitters, but most will work fine.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
jlholmes-100

Hi,
That is a lot of splitters

So how many network adapters? I assume just 2, both placed on the cable going into the TA?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
fcfc2

Quote:
Hi,

So how many network adapters? I assume just 2, both placed on the cable going into the TA?

Thanks
The XL 4 has MoCA built in and since you have Ethernet connected to it, you should not need any adapters, just "create a MoCA network" via the XL4 and connect the mini via it's builtin MoCA. If you want that 2 tuner Premiere off wireless, you could use one there but not necessary with your current setup.
Unfortunately, due to the design of the TA and it's sensitivity to the MoCA frequencies, a splitter and filter are necessary. Use MoCA rated splitters if you can get them.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
mdavej

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Moca adapters? None. The XL4 and Mini have built in Moca. If you wanted to put the other Premiere on Moca, it alone would need an adapter.

https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/...r-home-network

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
jlholmes-100

From other posts I have read, it seems the TAs have a problem on MoCa unless a network adapter is place on the input cable? Am I mistaken?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
fcfc2

Quote:
From other posts I have read, it seems the TAs have a problem on MoCa unless a network adapter is place on the input cable? Am I mistaken?
Yes you are confusing a MoCA filter and a MoCA adapter.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
TivoJD

You don't need a POE filter on the tuning adapter with Bright House, you only need the one where it enters the house.

Bright House Networks Cable

Last edited by TivoJD; 03-05-2016 at 06:33 PM.
TivoJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
jlholmes-100

Great... Thank you... I think I have it now

Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
TivoJD

Sorry, you may need one at your modem, my modem is a separate line, so I don't, you can always pop over to the DSLReports Bright house forum and ask about the modem part directly to a Bright House Tech.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect

Bright House Networks Cable
TivoJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoJD View Post
You don't need a POE filter on the tuning adapter with Bright House, you only need the one where it enters the house.
Depending on if you have a Cisco Tuning Adapter and what your signal levels are, it can never hurt to place a POE MoCA filter on the TA.
http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf

There is a combination of levels where the MoCA signal injected into the TA will cause the TA to fail tuning requests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
jlholmes-100

This is getting complicated again. It seems every environment is so different/sensitive. I'll just have to experiement. I have a couple of Moca Adapters ordered and if I only use one on the Premiere in the Family room, I'll have a spare.

I also ordered the 5 pack of Poe Moca Filters so I should have plenty of those.

Once I get the equipment and set it up I will post what actually worked with my environment.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
SomeRandomIdiot

Just a warning. Not all MoCA Filters are created equal.

A MAJOR Cable Company had been using PCT PCT-LPF-1002 MoCA Filters has quit using them as they are letting MoCA data past the filter. They are now replacing all those installed with PCT-MLPF-1002s.

Considering PCT is one of the most respected Companies for this type of equipment in the Industry, I would have a hard time trusting those on eBay.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCT.MoCA.Filters.jpg (31.5 KB, 91 views)
SomeRandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomIdiot View Post
Just a warning. Not all MoCA Filters are created equal.

A MAJOR Cable Company had been using PCT PCT-LPF-1002 MoCA Filters has quit using them as they are letting MoCA data past the filter. They are now replacing all those installed with PCT-MLPF-1002s.

Considering PCT is one of the most respected Companies for this type of equipment in the Industry, I would have a hard time trusting those on eBay.

Source, please.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
mdavej

http://pctcorporate.com/images/stori...rs_201210f.pdf

Specs are a little better on the MLPF. Even so, both are plenty to block Moca. Cut any CATV signal by 35dB, it's not going to get very far. My guess is the major cable company got a better price on the other model.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
http://pctcorporate.com/images/stori...rs_201210f.pdf

Specs are a little better on the MLPF. Even so, both are plenty to block Moca. Cut any CATV signal by 35dB, it's not going to get very far. My guess is the major cable company got a better price on the other model.
No, they are replacing all LPF out - because it is causing leakage into their plant.

You would not do that for a better price.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #17
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Source, please.
Source of my comments?

The tech department of the Cable Company when installing MoCA Extenders on 2 TAPs this past week on the 10 Actiontec ECB6200 project - and I had purchased the LPF Filters.

The head tech for the area would not put them on - told me what they were doing and put on MLPF filters instead.

I then called the Tech in charge of the Region for info and he confirmed.

Now, they are just rolling out 2.0 MoCA so perhaps the LPF work with 1.1 but not so much with all the 2.0 Frequencies?

Old 03-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
richg_techdumb

MoCA network using DECA Broadband adapter

First time using any type of forum so if I am in the wrong place, please direct. I have a Romio OTA connected to a dedicated coax from the OTA antenna using wireless as the internet connection, a Mini that is connected to the whole house coax system, no ethernet system and I am on the opposite side of the house from the router/modem.

I have a Direct TV DECA Broadband adapter. Can this be used to connect to the Romio OTA Ethernet port and the coax in the wall that is the whole house system to obtain internet to the Mini?

Sounds easy enough but totally unknowledgeable on these things. Help from anyone please.

richg_techdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richg_techdumb View Post
First time using any type of forum so if I am in the wrong place, please direct. I have a Romio OTA connected to a dedicated coax from the OTA antenna using wireless as the internet connection, a Mini that is connected to the whole house coax system, no ethernet system and I am on the opposite side of the house from the router/modem.

I have a Direct TV DECA Broadband adapter. Can this be used to connect to the Romio OTA Ethernet port and the coax in the wall that is the whole house system to obtain internet to the Mini?

Sounds easy enough but totally unknowledgeable on these things. Help from anyone please.
DirecTV DECA is a totally different distribution technique than MoCA and is proprietary to DirecTV.

As thus, it is incompatible.

If you have Wired or Wireless internet feeding your Roamio, then your mini should have no issue as it will obtain the internet feed from the Roamio.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richg_techdumb View Post

You can use DECA adapters as long as there are no other signals on the coax. As long as the coax from the antenna goes only to the Roamio OTA, and the coax for DECA is separate and is not connected to anything outside the house, you can use DECA adapters with Cat5e/Cat6 cables connected to your router, the Roamio and the Mini.

DECA operates at frequencies that clash with OTA, catv and DOCSIS signals, so coax that carries any TV or DOCSIS signals cannot be used with DECA technology.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #21
richg_techdumb

I will be installing the Mini tomorrow and hope it connects and works as it should. Thanks for the info. I understand enough of this stuff to know I don't know how to do the trouble shooting if anything does not work exactly as directions state. I'll let you know results by the afternoon. Thanks again.

richg_techdumb is offline   Reply With Quote