TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
filovirus

Anyone Use A TV Guide/Magazine To Find Things To Tivo

Curious to know how others find new shows to record. I remember the days when there was a guide for Showtime and HBO in my cable bill ages ago. I know I can go to their website but was curious if there is a single publication that is worth paying for. My goal is to record enough content to justify my Comcast fees.

Thanks

filovirus

Old 03-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
schatham

I just use the tivo guide. Using the live guide you can scroll ahead pretty easy to see if something is on in the next 24 to 48 hours or so. I like to do this for HBO and Showtime.

schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

Nope. Just use TiVo. I've signed up for collections that interest me. I'll also scan various movie channels to see what's coming up. On my Series 1 I once went through every listing via search starting with the number "0."

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by filovirus View Post
My goal is to record enough content to justify my Comcast fees.

Thanks

filovirus
Perhaps there isn't.

I can't justify the cost of a TiVo, but I love it.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Curious to know how others find new shows to record. I remember the days when there was a guide for Showtime and HBO in my cable bill ages ago. I know I can go to their website but was curious if there is a single publication that is worth paying for. My goal is to record enough content to justify my Comcast fees.

Thanks

filovirus
Why not use the TiVo suggestions after it learns your habits?

SomeRandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Nope. Just use TiVo. I've signed up for collections that interest me. I'll also scan various movie channels to see what's coming up. On my Series 1 I once went through every listing via search starting with the number "0."
I do that every week on the Series 3. Search by Title and enter 0 will list all show titles within the next 10 days, 0-9 then A-Z.

You cannot do this with Premiere and above.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
UCLABB

Quote:

Thanks

filovirus
I look at my newspaper's daily tv listings. I mainly look at pbs and the premiums as all the other stuff are one passes. Just takes a minute and is faster than going through the TiVo guide.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I look at my newspaper's daily tv listings. I mainly look at pbs and the premiums as all the other stuff are one passes. Just takes a minute and is faster than going through the TiVo guide.
I am not sure which is more of a dinosaur....a printed TV guide, a HBO monthly schedule in a cable bill, or a Newspaper (and one with TV listings at that!)

SomeRandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
PSU_Sudzi

I do all the time, I don't know why its frowned on by some users. All most all of the major newspapers have a TV section that review new and existing TV series and I may use them in picking shows to watch. And there are dedicated websites that do this also like The AV Club or specific genres like Den of Geek. Here is a great listing also that is updated on a rolling basis.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates

PSU_Sudzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I sign up for email newsletters to get news from networks/channels I like, or follow their pages on Facebook. I also FF through ad breaks manually so I can stop if I spot an ad for a show I might like to watch.

I used to subscribe to TV Guide, but I stopped shortly after they changed the format to the big-sized issues. But I still try to pick up the two issues at the start of the season that showcase the new shows and the returning favorites.

Many of the shows I add, I hear about by word of mouth -- talking with friends either face to face or via social media.

I also make use of TiVo Wishlists and suggestions.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:50 AM   #11
jth tv

Someone here mentioned this a while back, I glance at it occasionally, it has links to show descriptions.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/winter-2016-grid/

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth tv View Post
Someone here mentioned this a while back, I glance at it occasionally, it has links to show descriptions.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/winter-2016-grid/
I use TFC pretty much every weekend, check the "My listing" for the upcoming week to make sure everything I thought I was recording is.

Then once a month, I will change view to "Monthly" and go to the following month, and check "Show only premieres" If I find something that I might want to see, I "add to my futon" I catch a lot of stuff I wouldn't find otherwise.
I just wish it would only show premieres, it shows A LOT of crap that isn't premieres, like season finales, time slot change, etc..

TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote