TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Star Wars Episode 7 Speculation

In the Disney/LucasArts press release it was mentioned that the next Star Wars film would be released in 2015.

So you think that they'll start the next movies using the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn? Or something else? I'm already looking forward to it.

I certainly hope they don't go all animated like the Clone Wars series. That was ok for a while, but it got old for me.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
pmyers

I was surprised at the 2015 date. That seems really close considering 2012 is basically done.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
In the Disney/LucasArts press release it was mentioned that the next Star Wars film would be released in 2015.

So you think that they'll start the next movies using the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn? Or something else? I'm already looking forward to it.

I certainly hope they don't go all animated like the Clone Wars series. That was ok for a while, but it got old for me.
I figure, if Lucas DOES do a movie of the Thrawn Trilogy, he'll revamp it to the point of ruin.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Well, the rumor was that Lucas originally had 9 movies in the hopper for Star Wars. The original 3 that told the story of Luke and Leia, a Prequel trilogy, and a conclusion trilogy. Bringing Mark Hamil back as luke would be cool, even if he was a sort of Jedi official and all the heavy acting was done by someone else.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I can't wait for Star Wars characters to show up on Once Upon a Time.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Sparty99

Quote:
Well, the rumor was that Lucas originally had 9 movies in the hopper for Star Wars. The original 3 that told the story of Luke and Leia, a Prequel trilogy, and a conclusion trilogy. Bringing Mark Hamil back as luke would be cool, even if he was a sort of Jedi official and all the heavy acting was done by someone else.
I thought this was long debunked by Lucas. It was something he threw out there in an interview decades ago and it suddenly became his "plan". That tale has been out there since at least the time of Return of the Jedi, and I figured it was out of the question by the time the prequels came out.

I gave up on the books right around college, but I can't see how the Thrawn trilogy is feasible considering how heavily involved the main characters were. Sure you could recast them, but you're basically asking three unknowns to be believable as Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I can't wait for Star Wars characters to show up on Once Upon a Time.

Greg
All they have to do is pull the Battlestar Galactica sets out of mothballs and they're golden.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I thought this was long debunked by Lucas. It was something he threw out there in an interview decades ago and it suddenly became his "plan". That tale has been out there since at least the time of Return of the Jedi, and I figured it was out of the question by the time the prequels came out.

I gave up on the books right around college, but I can't see how the Thrawn trilogy is feasible considering how heavily involved the main characters were. Sure you could recast them, but you're basically asking three unknowns to be believable as Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill.
In Starlog 1 he said 12 movies. But ignoring that, he has said 9 many many times.

Most recently he talked about how he had this big idea and it was too big for one movie and he wound up starting in the middle (Episode IV) but he had already mapped out what happened before and what happened after. He's said repeatedly that he has the story for the last 3.

Of course, he said he had the story for the first 3 and it turns out he had an outline that he never fleshed out, which is why all the story ended up in Episode III, so maybe the idea of "9 movies" was really some very simple "this is what happens after", more like sketches than actual plans.

I think once he opened the floodgates and let the extended universe writers start playing in the near future of Episode VI that any hopes of the story being coherent after that were gone. He now has to take into account all of the "blessed" stories that LucasArts has let be published because those are "canon" (though not "Splinter of the Minds Eye", thank goodness).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Wait.... what?? When did Disney purchase LucasArts??
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Wait.... what?? When did Disney purchase LucasArts??
Today. $4 billion. There's a thread in Happy Hour about it and every legitimate news source is covering it.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
In Starlog 1 he said 12 movies. But ignoring that, he has said 9 many many times.

Most recently he talked about how he had this big idea and it was too big for one movie and he wound up starting in the middle (Episode IV) but he had already mapped out what happened before and what happened after. He's said repeatedly that he has the story for the last 3.

Of course, he said he had the story for the first 3 and it turns out he had an outline that he never fleshed out, which is why all the story ended up in Episode III, so maybe the idea of "9 movies" was really some very simple "this is what happens after", more like sketches than actual plans.

I think once he opened the floodgates and let the extended universe writers start playing in the near future of Episode VI that any hopes of the story being coherent after that were gone. He now has to take into account all of the "blessed" stories that LucasArts has let be published because those are "canon" (though not "Splinter of the Minds Eye", thank goodness).
I agree. I think he has an idea, which he later decided would be too much to pursue so he scaled back to 6 movies. As for the extended universe novels, it's going to be interesting how those are handled. I suspect they will ignore them to avoid paying royalties to the authors of an existing story.

Unless they recast the role of Luke, starting 7 right after the events of 6 won't work for obvious reasons. Luke was already looking O.L.D. in 6. We could end up with a 7 that starts after most of the novelizations end.

Something like..

"With the defeat of the empire, the republic was thrown into chaos as isolated segments of the empire continued their war against the rebel alliance. Just as all seems to have quieted down a new threat has appeared in the universe...."
180hr S2

Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Wait. So some folks think Ep 7 is going to be a TV show and that's why it's posted in the TV section??
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Wait. So some folks think Ep 7 is going to be a TV show and that's why it's posted in the TV section??
No. I was just too lazy to put it in Happy Hour.
180hr S2

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Snow Leia and the Seven Ewoks?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I would hope they're going to aim a little higher up the acting scale than Mark Hamill!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

There's always Hayden Christiansen or, if they really want to go for it, Keannu Reeves!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

So do you think they'll get a back nine or will Episode 13 be a wrap-up? (/tvtalk)

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe Disney can also pick up Paramount and we can finally have our NCC 1701 vs. Star Destroyer battle and solve that debate once and for all.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

This. I never read the books, but to me casting someone else to play those parts would not work. Just like the last Star Trek Movie didn't work well for me without the original cast and I'm not even a Star Trek fan.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This. I never read the books, but to me casting someone else to play those parts would not work. Just like the last Star Trek Movie didn't work well for me without the original cast and I'm not even a Star Trek fan.
It did pretty well at the box office though, so I'm not sure that argument would work:

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The thing is, the Star Trek movie was essentially a prequel, showing the origin story, so a more apt comparisons would be Episodes I-III. I can't rennet how long after the movies the Thrawn books took place, but it was close enough that those characters would be pictured as Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, etc. Asking someone to step into those roles just isn't fair.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
robojerk

I think Mark Hamil could return if the new episodes took place far enough into the future so that he could be old. Maybe not have him be a central character, perhaps in the background, or a similar character as the Emperor in episodes 4-6.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think Mark Hamil could return if the new episodes took place far enough into the future so that he could be old. Maybe not have him be a central character, perhaps in the background, or a similar character as the Emperor in episodes 4-6.
Mark Hamill is currently doing his best work as Skips. Lets not distract him.

jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
Jonathan_S

Quote:
That's my major concern. I really like those books, but they follow all the major characters from the original trilogy. (And they begin only 5 years after Episode VI)

You can't bring back the original actors, and I don't have any faith that you could cast anyone else to really take over each of those roles.

A far more minor point is that you'd have to tweak things about the novels' backstory becuase Zahn's vision of the clone wars clearly didn't match that shown in the prequils. (And the studio would probably want to tweak them still to link in Episodes 1 - 3. The novels pre-date them by a almost a decade; so don't have any continuity with them.)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
It did pretty well at the box office though, so I'm not sure that argument would work:

I'm not talking about the other iterations of Star Trek, none of which I have ever cared to see. Just the last one that had the original characters. I think there's enough Trekkies out there, and people who were familiar with the characters that it would definitely warrant a look from them.

And yes, I guess the same would be true of Star Wars. That's why I said, to me...it wouldn't work. It would kind of be like casting Casablanca with someone else playing Rick. It just wouldn't feel right.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
The thing is, the Star Trek movie was essentially a prequel, showing the origin story, so a more apt comparisons would be Episodes I-III. I can't rennet how long after the movies the Thrawn books took place, but it was close enough that those characters would be pictured as Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, etc. Asking someone to step into those roles just isn't fair.
Very true...but even to me, the non fan, someone else playing Kirk, Spock etc, didn't feel right. It would certainly feel even worse to me being a fan of the Star Wars movies and seen them over and over.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
He could be an Obi-Wan like character. The old sage that will help mold the next Jedi. Of course Yoda, could still be Yoda
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
Maybe Disney can also pick up Paramount and we can finally have our NCC 1701 vs. Star Destroyer battle and solve that debate once and for all.
How is that a debate? The Star Destroyer would, well, destroy the Enterprise.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
How is that a debate? The Star Destroyer would, well, destroy the Enterprise.
No way. The Enterprise is way too fast. By the time the star destroyer had time to lock on to the Enterprise it would have gone to warp, circled around and hit them from behind.
180hr S2

Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Just so the thread doesn't get moved... What about a made for TV Episode 7? Any chance of that?
180hr S2