TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
buckeyenut
██ █ ★ █ ██

Fringe - 1/11/13 - The Boy Must Live

It's all coming to an end, episodes 99 and 100 next week. I've loved this show from episode 1.

So, episode 98, I'm a bit confused. Why would the boy just walk off the train? I'm like, "Finally, some answers..." And he poofs. Looking forward to next week.
buckeyenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

We have decided to wait until we have the next two episodes before we watch this one.
Spoilers don't faze me and truth be told, if I am going to be disappointed I want to know about it beforehand
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That was so frustrating to have all the buildup of keeping the boy safe, and he just walks off the train into Windmark's hands!

The scene where the one observer was tapping his foot to the music was amusing.

I've already made a couple of clips where I've inserted different music into the scene.

Edit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 01-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
rondotcom

1 to 98

I've just watched the entire series from Episode 1. It really holds together as a long-assed movie. I was surprised.
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
So, episode 98, I'm a bit confused. Why would the boy just walk off the train? I'm like, "Finally, some answers..." And he poofs. Looking forward to next week.
My feeling? he's decided to sacrifice himself so the plan succeeds instead of letting Walter be the sacrifice.

However it is KILLING me that I will be on vacation for the finale, I won't see it until the 21st when I get back, I'll have to avoid some media if it's a great ending and folks are writing about it.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
stellie93

I thought the boy was going to try to get through to the nasty Observer who's after them. There is something wrong with him by Observer standards--maybe his more positive emotions can be brought out.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
My feeling? he's decided to sacrifice himself so the plan succeeds instead of letting Walter be the sacrifice.
That was my thought too.

Quote:
However it is KILLING me that I will be on vacation for the finale, I won't see it until the 21st when I get back, I'll have to avoid some media if it's a great ending and folks are writing about it.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Can someone please clarify something for me? There were several references to Walter not remembering things because they were in a different time line. I was under the impression they simply "ambered" themselves and awoke 21 or so years later. I don't recall how Walter (or everyone) ended up in a "different time line". Thanks.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Idearat

I'm only 12 mins in and peeked in to this thread to see if anyone had the same reaction I had to seeing Robin Williams as "the commander"
A hairless Robin Williams, now that's a makeup job!

Update: Ok, looking around more it seems that it's James Kidnie, not Robin Williams.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (18.8 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by Idearat : 01-12-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Update: Ok, looking around more it seems that it's James Kidnie, not Robin Williams.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I'm only 12 mins in and peeked in to this thread to see if anyone had the same reaction I had to seeing Robin Williams as "the commander"
A hairless Robin Williams, now that's a makeup job!

Update: Ok, looking around more it seems that it's James Kidnie, not Robin Williams.
I thought it might have been Robin Williams at first, too - until he started talking.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Can someone please clarify something for me? There were several references to Walter not remembering things because they were in a different time line. I was under the impression they simply "ambered" themselves and awoke 21 or so years later. I don't recall how Walter (or everyone) ended up in a "different time line". Thanks.
There used to be two timelines. Then, Peter created a new one by merging the old ones (in the Big Machine). What Walter is now remembering is his (and Peter's) life in the original timeline (which no longer exists, but in which the first few seasons of the show took place).
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
ADG
Allan

Wow, where was I when they explained that? So are you saying that what happened in the "alternate universe" is now being referred to as a different timeline? Or were there two timelines in the one universe? And thanks Rob.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Family

Fringe has been my favorite network show the past 5 years, but man it is slow moving. This episode seemed to crawl. But the arc is tying together nicely.

Wasn't the previous timeline before the boring group of last season?
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
JoBeth66
Temp

Hubby & I thought 'Robin Williams' too until he started talking. Kinda jarring.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post

Wasn't the previous timeline before the boring group of last season?
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember anything about last season. So if that was the other timeline to which they are referring I guess that's why I'm lost

Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
thebigmo
Hot Doughnuts Now!!!

Quote:

I was thinking he gave himself up to get the observers off the others' trail so they can go build their time-machine so they can go back to some other point and get him back? That's probably not it though.
thebigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Wow, where was I when they explained that? So are you saying that what happened in the "alternate universe" is now being referred to as a different timeline? Or were there two timelines in the one universe? And thanks Rob.
Up until the Great Machine went off, there were two time-lines/universes. After, there was one, and it was not the same as either of the original two. (For one thing, Peter was no longer alive, although the Power Of Love brought him back later.) So nothing that happened before the Great Machine went off actually happened. And it's that stuff that used to happen but now didn't that Walter is now remembering.

From Walter's perspective, Peter died as a child, then was miraculously resurrected during Season 4. Now, he is remembering their relationship in the first three seasons (which never happened in the new reality after the Great Machine).
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
BitbyBlit

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember anything about last season. So if that was the other timeline to which they are referring I guess that's why I'm lost
They are still in the same timeline as last season, only further in the future. (Which I suppose would have still been true to some degree even if they hadn't been ambered. )

The other timeline was basically seasons 1 - 3. The Season 4 and 5 Walter was a different Walter (not to be confused with Walternate), and until the end of the previous episode, he had no memories about the events from seasons 1 - 3.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Up until the Great Machine went off, there were two time-lines/universes. After, there was one, and it was not the same as either of the original two.
Even though they were joined, I would still consider the two universes to be different universes rather than everything as one big meta-verse, particularly since they ended up severing the connection later.

Preview spoiler:

Spoiler:
It will be interesting to see what happened to the future of the other universe, and how it fits into the bigger picture. It looked like Fauxlivia hadn't aged either, so either Olivia jumps back in time when going to that universe, or Fauxlivia gets ambered herself, perhaps fighting the Observers over there.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Up until the Great Machine went off, there were two time-lines/universes. After, there was one, and it was not the same as either of the original two. (For one thing, Peter was no longer alive, although the Power Of Love brought him back later.) So nothing that happened before the Great Machine went off actually happened. And it's that stuff that used to happen but now didn't that Walter is now remembering.

From Walter's perspective, Peter died as a child, then was miraculously resurrected during Season 4. Now, he is remembering their relationship in the first three seasons (which never happened in the new reality after the Great Machine).
Ahhh yes - I had completely forgotten all that (perhaps with some subconscious intent ). And I'd also forgotten that once the timelines / universes merged (and Peter stepped out of the shower), everything previously hadn't happened.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain and remind me. Appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
wprager

Quote:
No. The original timeline was the first three seasons. Then Peter did his thing and disappeared from existence. The next season (last season) started without Peter -- he never existed. But then he came back (still no idea how or, better question -- from where) and still, nobody believed him, because for them he never existed. Slowly Olivia and Walter started remembering things. The child Observer made Walter remember even more.

Of course the term "remember" doesn't really apply, as Walter (in this timeline) never lived through those experiences.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
Cainebj

Quote:
There used to be two timelines. Then, Peter created a new one by merging the old ones (in the Big Machine). What Walter is now remembering is his (and Peter's) life in the original timeline (which no longer exists, but in which the first few seasons of the show took place).
Quote:
Wow, where was I when they explained that?
+1
I like Fringe and am loving it now but somewhere in the middle I got really confused and only half watched it.

I thought Walter was having all these memory issues because of that episode where Windmark did whatever he was doing to his brain?

Might I say - Michael Cerversis was totally amazing in this episode.
I've known him forever from his NY Broadway theater work.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
No. The original timeline was the first three seasons. Then Peter did his thing and disappeared from existence. The next season (last season) started without Peter -- he never existed. But then he came back (still no idea how or, better question -- from where) and still, nobody believed him, because for them he never existed. Slowly Olivia and Walter started remembering things. The child Observer made Walter remember even more.

Of course the term "remember" doesn't really apply, as Walter (in this timeline) never lived through those experiences.
Great recap - and now I do indeed remember everything (at least everything that has happened in my timeline ). Thanks for all the help

Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Heh- the timelines and merging is where I started sort of zoning out on the show, too.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
stellie93

So are there still 2 parallel universes?

They thought that if they go back and eliminate the Observers (who we found out were humans? yes?) then their daughter might still be alive in the resulting timeline. If September wasn't there to save Peter in the lake, would he even be in the resulting timeline, much less Etta? So very confused at this point.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Robin Williams? Never even crossed my mind.

Once again, I'm amazed at the resemblances some see.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Robin Williams? Never even crossed my mind.

Once again, I'm amazed at the resemblances some see.
For a split second I actually thought Kelsey Grammer.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
john4200

So, Windmark goes back in time to September's apartment and finds out that September just left, no more than an hour ago. So why not go back in time an hour? Seems easier than setting up a gigantic grid search and a bunch of roadblocks.

It was nice of September to put a nice, bright flashing LED on his bomb to warn Windmark so that he would not get disintegrated.

I had the same concern as stellie93. If they change time so that the Observers never exist, why do they think that will get Etta back? Even if Peter is still alive in the new timeline, he may never meet Olivia without the Observers, whose meddling (indirectly) helped bring the two of them together.

I'm not sure why people think Michael is sacrificing himself so that Walter does not have to. The whole plan was to send Michael forward to a certain time. Michael cannot sacrifice himself before he goes forward in time.

If Michael is so smart, why is he incapable of communicating with speech or writing? It seems to me that Michael is not a very impressive specimen. He is in his 30's, right? And after all that time living with humans, he still has not learned ordinary communication skills? Showing him to the people who invented the Observers may not impress them, and they may go on to create the Observers anyway.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
MikeMar
Go Pats

I really liked the explanation they gave of how the observers came to be.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
Hubby & I thought 'Robin Williams' too until he started talking. Kinda jarring.
I thought Randy Quaid...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote