TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
torrentsaint

Tivo controlling Tivo

I have a Series 3 TiVo and a Series 2 Tivo.
I use the Series 3 for OTA watching and no recording. So basically its like a cablebox for OTA. Can I use set the output of the Series 3 to the input of the Series 2 and use the series 2 to change channels and record what the series 3 picks up OTA?

I cannot transfer service from the series 2 to the series 3, and I do not want to start another account just for the OTA stuff.

Thanks for your input.
torrentsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, you cannot control another Tivo from a Tivo.

Only Lifetime Tivo service cannot be transferred to another Tivo box.

You would not need to make another Tivo account for service. They will list multiple Tivos and is how you can get multiple Tivo service discounts.

With the Series 3 subscribed to Tivo service, it can record 2 channels at once. You can also transfer shows (only SD shows) to the Series 2 to watch.

The Series 2 needs a digital converter box to receive OTA.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
torrentsaint

Bummer. I have life time on my series2, that is why it cannot be transferred.
I was thinking of picking up two more lifetime series2 boxes, but even $75 each is not much of a deal when I don't have a good use for them.

Sorry by start another account, I meant shell monthly fees or $500 for a lifetime.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentsaint View Post
Sorry by start another account, I meant shell monthly fees or $500 for a lifetime.
For subscribing your Series 3, it would only be 9.95 a month instead of 12.95, or 399.99 for lifetime. This is only if your other Tivo is on a full priced subscription, either monthly or lifetime. (Multiple Service Discount, MSD)

The Premiere would me 12.99 monthly instead of the full rate of 14.99.

~~~~~

Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
I have a Series 3 TiVo and a Series 2 Tivo.
I use the Series 3 for OTA watching and no recording. So basically its like a cablebox for OTA. Can I use set the output of the Series 3 to the input of the Series 2 and use the series 2 to change channels and record what the series 3 picks up OTA?

I cannot transfer service from the series 2 to the series 3, and I do not want to start another account just for the OTA stuff.

Thanks for your input.
So you have a lifetime sub on the S2 and no sub on the S3?

Do you not have analog cable that the S2 can tune?

You can go through Guided Setup on the S2 and lie to it about having either a satellite receiver (if you say DirecTV instead of Dish, that'll give you a channel 1) or a cable box hooked up to the RCA and/or S-Video line inputs and actually have the S3 connected and outputing a video signal at the time instead.

This will allow recording from the S3.

It won't do anything towards changing the channel on the S3, unless you come up with some sort of "black box" that translates satellite or cable box IR commands to TiVo IR commands.

Also, all of your recordings on the S2 will be labeled something like "information channel", so you'll have to go by time and date to know what show they actually are.

If you have full priced lifetime on the S2, you can get $100 off of the price of lifetime on the S3, and once it's lifetimed, it's lifetimed, and then you could stick your S2 on Craigslist or eBay and try to get around $100 for it.

Or you could keep it and use it with a second TV and a network connection (and a network connection for the S3) and transfer shows from one TiVo to the other to watch what you want to where you want to.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
torrentsaint

I am using the S2 for Dish at the moment, but I have the opportunity to get another lifetime S2. the wife acceptance factor rules out spending even $300 on a lifetime for the S3.

Is there any way I can just manually copy my digital videos, and use just to watch my movies? My brothers kids put a ham sandwich in his DVD player, and every one of his kids movies is scratched to hell, so I made digital copies of all my movies years ago.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I am using the S2 for Dish at the moment, but I have the opportunity to get another lifetime S2. the wife acceptance factor rules out spending even $300 on a lifetime for the S3.

Is there any way I can just manually copy my digital videos, and use just to watch my movies? My brothers kids put a ham sandwich in his DVD player, and every one of his kids movies is scratched to hell, so I made digital copies of all my movies years ago.
Yes, you can send video files to any Tivo Series 2 and above, provided it has Tivo Service and connected to your network.

Series 2 transfer rates are slower then Series 3 which is slower then Premiere.

~~~~~