Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #61
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
"What was that for?"

"To show people when they don't believe me."
My GF and I were totally nitpicking the hell out of that moment.... for one, the newspaper was pretty clearly out of frame for the picture, and second, the look on Penny's face for the picture was pretty unconvincing for someone being kissed by their boyfriend and not some creepy stalker.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #62
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post

Exactly, it was totally incongruous, and that made me laugh.
It was like a Raising Arizona moment.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #63
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
"Charlie's Angels!"

Good episode.
I was also impressed the Vasquez Rocks backdrops.
Yuck, they looked so fake (though I admit I DID ask out loud if they were really there -- I knew they weren't, but at first I thought it might be bluescreen).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #64
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
... (I wish that TCF had a ROTFL emoticon).
You mean like this?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #65
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
You mean like this?

Yes, that would work.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #66
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'd like to know how they simulated that car speeding past them in the studio.. I watched it a few times, and that thing does move across the screen pretty fast.
They could have added it digitally in post production. Or they could have put a cardboard cutout of a car on a stick and waved it in front of the camera. I'm sure it wasn't a difficult effect to pull off no matter how they did it. What they did not do was drive a real car at speed on a sound stage.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #67
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No, it actually doesn't. It's been decades since girls were rare in comic book shops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadara View Post
I love the whole episode! I'm a geeky girl and haven't stepped one food in a comic store.... ever! So, the girls going in there, I thought that whole scene was funny!

The very last part where the guys can't believe they are hearing the girls arguing about comic books.... priceless! Loved it!
In all of my life, I have never heard even one of my female friends mention they were going to or had been in a comic book store.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
In all of my life, I have never heard even one of my female friends mention they were going to or had been in a comic book store.
I don't think I've ever heard any of my male friends mention it either.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #69
Peter000

Quote:
It's been decades since girls were rare in comic book shops.
This hasn't been my experience.

You understand we're talking about living breathing girls, and now drawn girls in comic books, right??
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #70
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
This hasn't been my experience.

You understand we're talking about living breathing girls, and now drawn girls in comic books, right??
You are aware that women go to Comic Con, and other conventions, right? As fans, and not just for CosPlay?

Discussions like this make me really miss Comic Relief.

The linked article has a photo of the Comic Relief booth at the 2007 Wondercon. I think the ratio of guys to girls in the photo is pretty evenly matched. And I can't speak to the ratio of guy/girl employees, but lots of women worked at CR.

Edited to add: we're missing a really fun discussion, you know. If you were in Stuart's shoes, what would you have recommended to the girls? Fables is not a bad choice, but ....

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow.

Well, I go every few weeks to catch up on a few titles. A guy I dated a long time ago got me hooked but then I was also already a Star Trek fan and reader of science fiction books.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #72
Hank
AC•FTW

I've been to a couple of Comicon-like events* (Otakon and Anime Boston -- more anime than comics, but it's the same general groups), and the ration of women to men is about even.

* I went with my g/f who is a young adult (YA) author, and she was doing research for a book about this population of kids.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #73
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Sheldon asks:

"Can you name the four state capitals that are not served by the Interstate system?"

(Unless something has changed recently, Sheldon is wrong. There are five.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I've been to a couple of Comicon-like events* (Otakon and Anime Boston -- more anime than comics, but it's the same general groups), and the ration of women to men is about even.
Not surprising, since in Japan, manga and anime are available to both boys and girls.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #74
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
You are aware that women go to Comic Con, and other conventions, right? As fans, and not just for CosPlay?

Discussions like this make me really miss Comic Relief.

The linked article has a photo of the Comic Relief booth at the 2007 Wondercon. I think the ratio of guys to girls in the photo is pretty evenly matched. And I can't speak to the ratio of guy/girl employees, but lots of women worked at CR.

Edited to add: we're missing a really fun discussion, you know. If you were in Stuart's shoes, what would you have recommended to the girls? Fables is not a bad choice, but ....
We're not talking about comi-con though. We're talking about comic book shops. And my experience has been that I haven't seen many women in comic book shops. It IS a rarity. At least the ratio. Maybe it's different where you are that women flock to the shops.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #75
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
We're not talking about comi-con though. We're talking about comic book shops. And my experience has been that I haven't seen many women in comic book shops. It IS a rarity. At least the ratio. Maybe it's different where you are that women flock to the shops.
Rob was saying his experience differs from yours. So does mine.

My experience is that fans are fans, and they don't congregate in groups segregated by gender. When they go to the comic book store, they don't "flock", they just go, as if they were going to any other store. It's no different than going to the grocery store.

I hear that your experience is different, but Rob's experience, and my experience, are just as valid as yours.

And while my earlier post was tongue-in-cheek, it's still true. If I had a choice of comic book stores, I'd probably not go to Stuart's shop, if that was the kind of reception I got when I was there. I'd go to the comic shop across town which had both men women on staff instead.

Edited to add: I think betts had a good point, in that a lot of us who read comics are also science fiction fans, and we came to comics from somewhere else. For us, the whole issue can be summed up as "yeah, there are female fans, so what?", or to put in terms Howard's mom might understand, "what am I, chopped liver?"

On the other hand, there are a lot of science fiction readers (not necessarily fans) who read books written by authors of their own gender exclusively. (There was a recent article on io9 but I can't find it right now.)

Gender is a big deal, some places. In other places, it just isn't.

I suppose it's possible that there are women who only go to conventions and not their local comic book shop (if they have one), but it doesn't make sense to me. It would be an awfully expensive way to shop.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-12-2013 at 01:40 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #76
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yuck, they looked so fake (though I admit I DID ask out loud if they were really there -- I knew they weren't, but at first I thought it might be bluescreen).
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...00#post9469400

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #77
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I've been in a comic book store. I went there with Spouse, or to find Spouse, or to get a present for Spouse. I have not been back since the fantasy/sci-fi bookstore next door closed.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #78
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Cons are very different from comic book stores. I've been to several cons. Heck, collectibles stores are different from comic book storesand I go into those with decent regularity. I also puruse the manga selection at the Japanese bookstores regularly.

There is a comic book store around the corner from my house. I've eaten at the restaurant next door to it. I've never had any occasion to go into the comic book store.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #79
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I suppose it's possible that there are women who only go to conventions and not their local comic book shop (if they have one), but it doesn't make sense to me. It would be an awfully expensive way to shop.
I mostly read borrowed stuff. These days, from Spouse, before that from friends who had what I was interested in. Since usually the most relevant portion is near the start of the story, you can get that in republished graphic novel format pretty readily and those can be ordered from Amazon or found in big box bookstores. Current stuff can be found in newsstands and at places like Toys'Я'Us though to be honest, I tend to just look at the cover and extrapolate, then ask Spouse to clarify and fill in the gaps.

There's a huge difference between following the story and trying to collect each discrete original volume. The former can be done pretty easily without having to dig through boxes of dusty used comics at the comic book store.

TiVolution!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #80
Michael S

Quote:
Sheldon asks:

"Can you name the four state capitals that are not served by the Interstate system?"

After the episode aired Bill Pardy tweeted this.

Quote:
Four state capitals are not served by the Interstate Highway System -- not five. Your information is a year out of date, Internet.
I wonder how long before TomTom makes a Sheldon Cooper mod.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #81
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
This was the absolute best episode of Big Bang Theory I have ever seen and probably one of the top sitcom episodes ever irrespective of series.

The girls stole the show but I was really astonished at how much Sheldon looked like Brent Spiner in his Data costume (though Leonard's Picard got me to do a double-take as well).

The GPS sections were eerie as it was word-for-word a rehashing of Spouse's road trip commentary. The only part that was different was the part where the GPS was hacked so IT was giving the factoids instead of them coming directly from the person who knew them.

I have one question: is Stuart gay? I started watching this season and thought that he was based on a few things (included an extended will he/won't he with Raj) but I recently set up our TiVo to catch the syndicated episodes and he was dating Penny in a couple of them, so now I'm not sure what to think. Anyways, his ready agreement that Thor is hot made me think that I wasn't mistaken in my initial impression.

TiVolution!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #82
Hank
AC•FTW

I think they're casting Raj and Stuart as "undecided".

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #83
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Sheldon asks:

There are four:
Dover, Delaware
Pierre, South Dakota
Jefferson City, Missouri
Juneau, Alaska

The fifth, Carson City, Nevada, is now served by I-580, which now terminates in the eastern half of the city.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #84
weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There are four:
Dover, Delaware
Pierre, South Dakota
Jefferson City, Missouri
Juneau, Alaska

The fifth, Carson City, Nevada, is now served by I-580, which now terminates in the eastern half of the city.
So the Interstate system serves Hawaii? That must be a hell of a bridge.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #85
MarkofT

That Interstate was completed in 2009, so it isn't a recent change.

Juneau is almost on an Interstate in an interesting way. There are no roads to Juneau, but it is on a Federal Highway system, the Alaska Marine Highway, which is a ferry system running from Bellingham up the Inside Passage to various parts of Alaska.

I thought for a bit that Sheldon was wrong due to that, but dug a bit deeper and found out it wasn't designated as an Interstate.
MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #86
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Huh, I've always thought as I-580 as terminating at I-5 near Tracy, CA.

I didn't realize that there was a Nevada section and that had always been the intention.

You do learn something new each day.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #87
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
So the Interstate system serves Hawaii? That must be a hell of a bridge.
Oddly enough, it does (no bridge, though).

Remember, the putative purpose of the Interstate system was defense. Part of the original system is three highways connecting military bases on Oahu.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #88
TonyD79

Quote:
Oddly enough, it does (no bridge, though).

Remember, the putative purpose of the Interstate system was defense. Part of the original system is three highways connecting military bases on Oahu.
Yes, interstates don't have to cross a state line.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #89
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
I have one question: is Stuart gay? I started watching this season and thought that he was based on a few things (included an extended will he/won't he with Raj) but I recently set up our TiVo to catch the syndicated episodes and he was dating Penny in a couple of them, so now I'm not sure what to think. Anyways, his ready agreement that Thor is hot made me think that I wasn't mistaken in my initial impression.
It doesn't have to be one or the other, you know.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #90
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Yes, interstates don't have to cross a state line.
I would have thought that interstate highway would, while intrastate highway wouldn't.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote