TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Joe-user21

S3"partially" freezing, ignoring Tivo button

Hi - I've searched the S3 threads and can't find a match to my exact problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

I have an S3, about a year old, unmodified. It has the Tivo-certified external 500 GB drive, and Parental Controls are enabled.
Since about the past month, several times per week, it goes into a "partial freeze" state. It is playing video/audio just fine from whatever tuner is selected. However, only certain commands are processed. Play/Pause works, and "Info" brings up the Info display. However, no other command has any effect (and no "bonk" error sound). And, when you are in "Info", you can't navigate within that, say to select the other tuner. Press Tivo, it's ignored. Ditto for Guide- it's ignored.

This is the same whether I press the buttons on the remote or the front panel. I do get the orange confirmation light on the S3 when I press any button, and I get that immediately (no delay) - it's just that nearly all commands are ignored. So, all you can do is play/pause the tuner that is selected.

I've noticed that several times I've left it, and it has "cleared" itself the next day and is working fine. Most times I want to watch something at that moment so I pull the plug and reboot.

My first thought was - one of the HD's (int or ext) was failing, or, the sata cable was funky. However, the video is fine - no stuttering or pixelating, and the video/audio itself isn't frozen.

So, it started feeling more like a "software" problem. In fact, once or twice I think I've sent it into this state when trying to enter the Par. Controls code - e.g. once it was prompting for the PC code when a new SpongeBob episode started - the kids were hitting some buttons, and just as I entered the code the S3 picked up the rating and cleared the screen itself - and went into this weird freeze mode.

I guess the next step is to disable PC and see if I get another freeze. But I'm loath to do that with kids, and with the dicey programming!

An aside: I have another S3, a year old, with an upgraded internal drive to 750 GB, and NO Parental Controls, and it's only needed to be rebooted maybe twice in the past year.

Both are at the latest SW version (the one with the annoying "Learn more about..." prompts).

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Joe-user21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

Well, make sure it is not the remote. You have 2 machines, try using the other remote on this one. If it is, try removing then re-inserting the batteries, I had a remote to an S1 do that, just quit working till I remove/reinsert the batteries. Be sure the batteries are new and good too, of course!

If not that, see if the Tivo does it if moved to another place, maybe there is an infa red source in the room confusing it. Maybe to try this simply turn the machine so it faces another way, see if any difference. Are you seeing the red LED light on the remote when pressing buttons? Does doing that with the remote real close to the machine help? Again, be sure those batteries are new in that remote, that is the simplest one of all. Be sure the front of machine isn't dirty with kid prints or something, too, where it sees the infa red light.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Joe-user21

Thanks - it's not the remote. In fact, I can eliminate the remote from the problem entirely. When it's "frozen", using the S3's front panel buttons, only "Play/Pause" and "Info" work. Tivo, Guide and Live TV are ignored.

This last time I let it sit about 24 hours; after which it was still frozen so I had to unplug it.
Joe-user21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
buddhawood

WOW, I thought it was just mine. I have had the exact samething happen to one of my S3 units. I was hoping it was not the HD. Sounds like it must be a software issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-user21 View Post
Hi - I've searched the S3 threads and can't find a match to my exact problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

I have an S3, about a year old, unmodified. It has the Tivo-certified external 500 GB drive, and Parental Controls are enabled.
Since about the past month, several times per week, it goes into a "partial freeze" state. It is playing video/audio just fine from whatever tuner is selected. However, only certain commands are processed. Play/Pause works, and "Info" brings up the Info display. However, no other command has any effect (and no "bonk" error sound). And, when you are in "Info", you can't navigate within that, say to select the other tuner. Press Tivo, it's ignored. Ditto for Guide- it's ignored.

This is the same whether I press the buttons on the remote or the front panel. I do get the orange confirmation light on the S3 when I press any button, and I get that immediately (no delay) - it's just that nearly all commands are ignored. So, all you can do is play/pause the tuner that is selected.

I've noticed that several times I've left it, and it has "cleared" itself the next day and is working fine. Most times I want to watch something at that moment so I pull the plug and reboot.

My first thought was - one of the HD's (int or ext) was failing, or, the sata cable was funky. However, the video is fine - no stuttering or pixelating, and the video/audio itself isn't frozen.

So, it started feeling more like a "software" problem. In fact, once or twice I think I've sent it into this state when trying to enter the Par. Controls code - e.g. once it was prompting for the PC code when a new SpongeBob episode started - the kids were hitting some buttons, and just as I entered the code the S3 picked up the rating and cleared the screen itself - and went into this weird freeze mode.

I guess the next step is to disable PC and see if I get another freeze. But I'm loath to do that with kids, and with the dicey programming!

An aside: I have another S3, a year old, with an upgraded internal drive to 750 GB, and NO Parental Controls, and it's only needed to be rebooted maybe twice in the past year.

Both are at the latest SW version (the one with the annoying "Learn more about..." prompts).

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
MLAKE1

Joining you all, same here. I have the TiVo HD XL - still within warranty, have had it about 2 months. Tonight is now twice that it's come up -- it starts to get sluggish in responding to commands, doesn't acknowledge. Front LED doesn't light up either to acknowledge receiving the remote command (even if I'm right in front of it). Have tried using 2 different remotes, so know that the prob isn't there. Tried rebooting, and that didn't seem to make any difference. After about a day or so, it surprisingly seemed to pass. That was probably 3 weeks ago or so - just started acting up again tonight.

Anyone figured out what this is? Buggy software issue? Hardware prob? Is it an easy fix? Would hate to have to fuss with replacing it, even with warranty, but if I have to, I have to.
MLAKE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Joel47

That started happening to my Tivo HD two days ago; it's happened once per night. I thought it might be related to the Tuning Adapter I installed on Thursday, but it would be odd for that to wait three days before causing a problem.
Joel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
MLAKE1

I've tried everything I could think of, from unplugging and doing a hard reboot, to switching remotes, to changing the remote code it's functioning under. It's become increasingly worse over the last week.

After a painful 45-min call with TiVo tech support last night (tech was nice, but clearly someone who was not tech-savvy in the least), they are exchanging my unit, which is still within the 90-day warranty period. In the process of attempting to offload important programming to save before shipping it out.

I'm worried if this is some sort of software issue from a service update that, as other threads have noted, cannot be prevented from being downloaded. As a result, will it not affect the replacement unit, though this doesn't seem to be consistent across all devices? I don't know how the software affects the receiving of IR signals from the remote, but other threads seem to report some bugginess with the latest update?
MLAKE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Vesper

This started happening to me last night when going to Now Playing. I'll see a couple of folders (Netflix, Recently Deleted, and the other DVRs), and then it hangs. Only thing I can think of that I've done 'new' lately is grabbed an Amazon HD movie. After a reboot it's fine, but this is annoying. Note that I'm a new TivoHD owner, and just recently upgraded my hard drive. But the first couple of weeks were problem free.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

Wow, are all these machines connected to internet? Maybe some of that content it loads automatically is getting hung? I am not networked and never have seen any delay in doing commands. You might try disconnect the network port a couple days, see if any effect.

Does if it is recording, especially 2 shows at once, make it more sluggish? And, going other way, if you disconnect input when it is not doing anything will that end the sluggishness?
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
fritztdog

I've been having this problem with my Series3 whenever parental controls are enabled. What I've found is that if a show is recording while the unit is locked, if I try to use the Tivo, it freezes. As described, some of the things appear to work but other than bing-ing and bong-ing when you press the Tivo or other buttons, it's hung and the only solution is to unplug the unit. I have never had this hang when parental controls are disabled, nor have I ever had it hang when parental controls are enabled but a show is not recording. I'm using my S3 with a DirecTV tuner so it has nothing to do with multiple tuners. This is clearly a bug in the TiVO software and I'm very disappointed that it hasn't been resolved in the now 3 years since this problem was first reported on this thread. As much as I love the TiVO UI compared to the competitors, this bug has me considering whether it's worth it or not...

Last edited by fritztdog : 01-14-2013 at 11:25 PM.
fritztdog is offline   Reply With Quote