TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Hrbek14

MoCA with password

Has anyone set up a MoCA network with a password that uses TiVo's MoCA adapter (i.e. the Actiontec one)?

Here's a brief rundown - I have a Premiere XL4 in the living room which is connected directly to my router. I also have a TiVo Mini in my bedroom which was hooked up to the coaxial cable there and I had a MoCA network with a password on it running - it was easy because I can just enter the password into the Mini. Then I bought a Slingbox and put it into the bedroom. I needed to buy the Actiontec adapter to get it connected to my network, so I had to remove the password from the network because the adapter wouldn't work with it.

I now see online that there is software I can download to allow the adapter to handle a network password. So, I just wanted to know if anyone has done that successfully before I leap in. Let me know - thanks!
Hrbek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Hrbek14

Well, I dived in and did this last night and it worked just fine. I was surprised, though, to see that the Actiontec seems to not output anything faster than 100 Mbps. My new ethernet hub has different colored lights depending on the speed and it never goes faster than 100 Mbps. I am using Cat6 cable and the hub is capable of 1000 Mbps speed.

So, considering this, what should I do with my TiVo Mini? I got the hub because I'll be getting a Blu-Ray player soon which will also need to connect to the network. Since I was springing for the hub anyway, I decided to take away my cable splitter (which sent one cable to the Mini and the other to the Actiontec) and connect the Mini up via ethernet to the hub. Would the Mini work better using its own built-in MoCA adapter?
Hrbek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

You already figured it out, but I use a MoCA encryption password on all of my TiVos (and MoCA adapters) without a problem.

I would just use the Mini's built-in MoCA. Why add another device off of it?

As for the 100mbps, I think that's expected. The ethernet connection from the adapter to your hub (although hopefully you meant switch?) is the standard 100mpbs. It's the coax connection between MoCA devices that is faster but if I understand how networking works you'll be limited by that 100mpbs connection. If you use the MoCA built into your XL4 and the MoCA on your Mini, you should see the faster speeds between those devices since it'd be coax the entire way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote