TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
RusRus

500GB vs 1TB HDD?????

What is the physical difference between these two HDDs? More discs? Larger discs? What? Would the 500GB run cooler and quieter and longer? Thanks.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
What is the physical difference between these two HDDs? More discs? Larger discs? What? Would the 500GB run cooler and quieter and longer? Thanks.
The drives from one co may not be the same as one from another. Most people go directly to the 2Tb drive as the price difference is small and when the 2Tb are on sale the price could be less

Why do you care about the number of platters, what do you want to do with the drive, for a TiVo the heat difference from 500Gb to 2Tb is almost unmeasurable if you are using the green WD drives.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The drives from one co may not be the same as one from another. Most people go directly to the 2Tb drive as the price difference is small and when the 2Tb are on sale the price could be less

Why do you care about the number of platters, what do you want to do with the drive, for a TiVo the heat difference from 500Gb to 2Tb is almost unmeasurable if you are using the green WD drives.
My recording needs are so small that if my 1TB HDD goes South I thought I would go with a 500GB HDD.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Your question remains a bit broad. Are you talking about the WD external drives, or an internal drive (either a XL unit or one you upgraded yourself)?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
worachj

Here's explanation on what the model number means.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...579-001028.pdf

Spec's on WD green drives for details:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-701229.pdf
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Your question remains a bit broad. Are you talking about the WD external drives, or an internal drive (either a XL unit or one you upgraded yourself)?
I now have an internal 1TB HDD but my storage needs for HD shows is only about 40 HD hours; not 142.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Here's explanation on what the model number means.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...579-001028.pdf

Spec's on WD green drives for details:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-701229.pdf
Thanks. I printed out the page on the description of model numbers. Very informative.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
I now have an internal 1TB HDD but my storage needs for HD shows is only about 40 HD hours; not 142.
What TiVo model do you have, is the internal 1Tb an original TiVo drive ? if it is you can't make it smaller, the cost difference between 500Gb and 1Tb can be as low as $15, I don't know what you are trying to accomplish.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

For most Tivos you can go to a 500GB drive if you get an image that is smaller than the 1TB you currently have. As for cooler and quieter, for the same generation from the same maker, probably about the same on both counts. You can go to the drive maker's website and check out differences in current requirements. It's hard to go wrong with a Western Digital Green AV drive no matter what size. I'm in the same boat as you because we tend to delete after watching. I've gone with 1TB upgrade drives in my two Premieres anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
For most Tivos you can go to a 500GB drive if you get an image that is smaller than the 1TB you currently have. As for cooler and quieter, for the same generation from the same maker, probably about the same on both counts. You can go to the drive maker's website and check out differences in current requirements. It's hard to go wrong with a Western Digital Green AV drive no matter what size. I'm in the same boat as you because we tend to delete after watching. I've gone with 1TB upgrade drives in my two Premieres anyway.
My curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. LOL. Since I currently have a WD10EURX it may be years (hopefully) before I have to make a decision. Thanks for all the input though.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
MeInDallas

Quote:
My curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. LOL. Since I currently have a WD10EURX it may be years (hopefully) before I have to make a decision. Thanks for all the input though.
Thats a fairly new model, you should have a good warranty left on it. New it comes with 3 years. How long have you had it and where did you get it?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Thats a fairly new model, you should have a good warranty left on it. New it comes with 3 years. How long have you had it and where did you get it?
Three months and Amazon.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
MeInDallas

You should have a lot left on the warranty then. Make sure you register it on the Western Digital website, just in case.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote