Registered abuser

NBC signs Jay for more years of blandness

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2421260.html

1991 Johnny to Dave: "How pissed are you?"

David Letterman Talks with Johnny Carson about Jay Leno Hosting "The T
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
DeDondeEs

Ugh, I can't even remember the last time I watched Jay Leno. Leno and Letterman should pass the torch onto Jimmy Fallon, Conan, or Kimmel, but that won't happen anytime soon. Well Kimmel is now on earlier.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

He makes money.

Still, I don't find him to be very entertaining, nor do I care for Letterman anymore. Fallon is awkward.

I followed Conan to TBS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Last full ep of tonight show I watched was the Johnny versions.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
sean67854
Why?

Kimmel is okay, but pretty much more of the same. I really enjoy Ferguson because he's quite different. It's always exciting to see how awkward his interviews are going to be.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Last full ep of tonight show I watched was the Johnny versions.
Ditto. I may have tuned in for Conan's.
UVerse and OTA

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
DeDondeEs

I have been turning into more and more of a BBC-America junky lately. I like the format of the Graham Norton show a lot. Having the first two guests come out at once seems to encourage more interactions and interesting conversation between the people on the show. As opposed to just one person coming out at a time and having some awkward canned interview about whatever movie or other thing the guest is plugging.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I have been turning into more and more of a BBC-America junky lately. I like the format of the Graham Norton show a lot. Having the first two guests come out at once seems to encourage more interactions and interesting conversation between the people on the show. As opposed to just one person coming out at a time and having some awkward canned interview about whatever movie or other thing the guest is plugging.
That was how the Tonight Show used to work. You moved down the couch with Ed on the end.

Doesn't Graham Norton show the previous guests silently reacting backstage on video in another window? THAT is weird.

Look for the Damien Lewis interview, with Psy mugging in the background. WFT?
UVerse and OTA

Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
ElJay

Quote:
The news comes after a report last month that NBC was quietly exploring the option of installing "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon as the host of "Tonight" when the 62-year-old Leno sees his contract expire.
Good luck to Jimmy Fallon. We know what happened to the last fella who thought he could get a promotion...
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Good luck to Jimmy Fallon. We know what happened to the last fella who thought he could get a promotion...
If you gave me a choice between watching Leno or Failon, I'd go with Leno.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
agentpaul

I must be an old person at heart because I have always liked Leno the best even when I was in my teens. Letterman, Kimmel, Conan, Fallon, and Ferguson I could only take in small doses. I do think Ferguson has the potential to take over for Leno.

Jay and Letterman are polished and good at their craft. Conan, Fallon, Ferguson, and Kimmel excel at taking "Awkwardness" to a new level. Not my thing.
agentpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentpaul View Post
I must be an old person at heart because I have always liked Leno the best even when I was in my teens. Letterman, Kimmel, Conan, Fallon, and Ferguson I could only take in small doses. I do think Ferguson has the potential to take over for Leno.

Jay and Letterman are polished and good at their craft. Conan, Fallon, Ferguson, and Kimmel excel at taking "Awkwardness" to a new level. Not my thing.
Ferguson would take over for Dave, but he has no interest in that as it stands. Dave's Worldwide Pants owns Craig's show.

The funny thing with your comment is Oprah just chided Dave during her interview on how he's quick to embarrass guests while he admits he himself can't stand embarrassment.
UVerse and OTA

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
inaka

Jimmy Kimmel pretty much summed it up perfectly on how frustrating it was to see an excellent comic like Jay Leno completely sell out as the host of the Tonight Show.

Kimmel said, ďAs a comedian, you canít not have disdain for what heís done. He totally sold out. He was a master chef who opened a Burger King.Ē

Exactly.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
DeDondeEs

The thing with Leno is that I can usually finish his jokes before he does, they are so predictably corny.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
agentpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Ferguson would take over for Dave, but he has no interest in that as it stands. Dave's Worldwide Pants owns Craig's show.

The funny thing with your comment is Oprah just chided Dave during her interview on how he's quick to embarrass guests while he admits he himself can't stand embarrassment.
Ah I got Ferguson mixed up with Fallon's show on NBC. I think Ferguson really has potential and hopefully with a few more years under his belt he will grow to be comfortable and change his mind.

I got a recording set for the Letterman interview which I'm looking forward to. It's a charge that has been leveled against him constantly.
agentpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
A couple of years back we saw Jay Leno at the Mirage in Vegas. This was 2-3 years ago, and he was still doing "Bill Clinton is horny" jokes, and jokes about how his parents can't use the VCR. He hadn't updated his act in decades.

Plus, he asked smak where he was from.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
A couple of years back we saw Jay Leno at the Mirage in Vegas. This was 2-3 years ago, and he was still doing "Bill Clinton is horny" jokes, and jokes about how his parents can't use the VCR. He hadn't updated his act in decades.

and what he did for a living

Wasn't that more than 2-3 years ago? Maybe it wasn't. Remind me who convinced me to go.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
The thing with Leno is that I can usually finish his jokes before he does, they are so predictably corny.
Just a couple of years ago I would record every Leno show and watch the stand up and loved the Photo Booth, but now I dn't watch at all. Except at a friends, sometime Jimmy Fallon is on the end of the Leno recording so I watch that.

Last edited by replaytv : 01-10-2013 at 06:00 AM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

You still bitter over that?

Let it go already.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I recently followed Quinton Tarantino's appearances on the various late night shows.
By far, the one I enjoyed most was with Craig Ferguson. I just don't know if I can get into the gay robot sidekick.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #21
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I recently followed Quinton Tarantino's appearances on the various late night shows.
By far, the one I enjoyed most was with Craig Ferguson. I just don't know if I can get into the gay robot sidekick.
It was that QT appearance that I realized that Quentin is a mega-nerd ala Woz. Nice that nerds can succeed.
UVerse and OTA

Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #22
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

Let it go already.

lol

The opening act was entertaining.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #23
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

Let it go already.

It's just that he sucks.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Kimmel said, ďAs a comedian, you canít not have disdain for what heís done. He totally sold out. He was a master chef who opened a Burger King.Ē

Exactly.
Agree. Pefect summation of Leno's career. I wondered if I was the only one who remembered the pre-Tonight Show Leno, when he was actually funny.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
marksman
ID-10-T

Plus he still recently talks about how he has never touched a dime of his tv money and it just sits in the bank.

While that might used to be cute, now it just makes him seem like a massive dick to me.

He even said (this was at a half arsed charity interview in Adam Carolla's back yard), that he does not have an agent or manager (which saves him a lot of money), but he essentially just takes whatever the network offers him to do the show. I just find it so hard to believe.

Now that I think about it though, that interview was right before he went to 10pm so it was a while ago.. but still makes me think he is a dick.

He can spend his money as he wants, but he lives off his gig and stand up money, if he loves that so much why not live off his tv money and do gigs for lower prices so more people could see him, since he loves it so much...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Plus he still recently talks about how he has never touched a dime of his tv money and it just sits in the bank.

While that might used to be cute, now it just makes him seem like a massive dick to me.

He even said (this was at a half arsed charity interview in Adam Carolla's back yard), that he does not have an agent or manager (which saves him a lot of money), but he essentially just takes whatever the network offers him to do the show. I just find it so hard to believe.

Now that I think about it though, that interview was right before he went to 10pm so it was a while ago.. but still makes me think he is a dick.

He can spend his money as he wants, but he lives off his gig and stand up money, if he loves that so much why not live off his tv money and do gigs for lower prices so more people could see him, since he loves it so much...
Jay may not be trying or innovative but I don't think the above justifies the "Dick" comment. He basically has said that he considers the Tonight show a luxury he could lose at any moment and he feels he is a standup first. So he manages his money that way. Who cares.

I think the big problem he has is maybe he works too much and as a result he has no bandwidth to be innovative.

The Tonight show has always been considered the safe show. Guests come because they know he won't embarrass them. The "gets" also create the higher ratings.

Jimmy Fallon is also considered safe but I think he is more innovative and talented.

It will be interesting to see how the ratings progress once things settle down.

On a side note Lettermans Oprah interview really impressed me since he is rarely so straight forward about himself.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

Jay keeps saying that he banks his TV money while he's buying million dollar cars. Methinks the cars and his hangar and crew of mechanics are part of his "bank."

Read/listen to "The Battle for Late Night" by Bill Carter.

Jay has no agent but he does negotiate like he has "Pay AND play" in his contract which is why NBC couldn't just pay him and leave him off of the air. Jay thinks being off TV is being dead.

Dave had no agent either until he made the move to leave NBC. He had claus of $1 million in his contract if they didn't put him at 11:30. Ovitz pointed out that $1 million was tip money to NBC.
UVerse and OTA

Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Jay keeps saying that he banks his TV money while he's buying million dollar cars. Methinks the cars and his hangar and crew of mechanics are part of his "bank."
Jay tours an unbelievable amount of time. He gets paid a ton of money for that.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
DeDondeEs

Quote:

He seems like a decent person, but insecure about his career or he is a control freak. It's just time to pass the torch... again... for real and enjoy his money and cars. And just to be fair, I think it is about time for Letterman to move on too. Get some new blood in there. This isn't the 1960's where people were stuck watching 3 channels, so you pretty much had three choices or less than that late at night. I think the reason these guys have ratings are from people who fall asleep with the 11:00 news on.

Last edited by DeDondeEs : 01-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:

I just listened to that recently (and have heard him say that other places), and I don't get why you have that reaction.

(Disclaimer: in the *beginning* of the big war, I was happy that Leno "won" because it'd mean we'd have BOTH Leno & Letterman on. But Leno has gotten really boring, and even though Letterman has mellowed out a lot, I think he's still VERY funny.. But I agree with Letterman's recent comments that Leno USED to be very very funny. I think some of Leno's appearances on Letterman in the 1980s are some of the funniest things I've ever seen, including the talk between the two of them..)

But now he's boring, and I just record it (and the other late night shows) for a FEW bits a week + musical guests.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote