TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
prisk

Tivo premiere, slingplayer and placeshifting

I have a TiVo Premiere and am thinking aout getting a Slingbox. I would be watching on my iPad 2, usually while traveling. However, I wouldn't always have a good internet or even 3G connection. I see in the previews of the Slingplayer for iPad there is a "record" button on the right side of the player interface.
So, here is my question: when i have a good connection, is it possle to "record" a program I have on my tivo to the ipad using slingplayer for later viewing, or is the only way to watch is with an active connection?
prisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisk View Post
I have a TiVo Premiere and am thinking aout getting a Slingbox. I would be watching on my iPad 2, usually while traveling. However, I wouldn't always have a good internet or even 3G connection. I see in the previews of the Slingplayer for iPad there is a "record" button on the right side of the player interface.
So, here is my question: when i have a good connection, is it possle to "record" a program I have on my tivo to the ipad using slingplayer for later viewing, or is the only way to watch is with an active connection?
I use Slingbox Pro and on the iOS devices the pause, record, play, FF, RW buttons you see are remote shortcuts that send IR signals to your TiVo at home.

It works fine in 3G but you only get 1 audio track (right) on the ipad/iphone even with headphones. Also it can use a ton of bandwidth so I hope you have unlimited!

Slingplayer on Windows can do timeshiftimg. Really you don't need a local time shifting your hooked up to a Tivo! Placeshifting in Slingbox is for people who use the QAM Coax in. If you do it on Windows and your player crashes you lose everything you paused behind - if you use the Tivo pause if the player ever crashes your all gravy!
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Eamus Catuli

I have a Tivo Premiere, Slingbox Pro-HD, and an iPad and no matter what I do, only some generic remote shows up on the iPad app. The standalone slingplayer windows app and the browser based app all show the proper TiVo Premiere remote, only the iPad app won't.

As a workaround, I'm using the Series 3 remote and generally it works fine but doesn't have the A B C D buttons.

Anyone had luck getting the proper TiVo Premiere remote appear with the iPad app?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
I use Slingbox Pro and on the iOS devices the pause, record, play, FF, RW buttons you see are remote shortcuts that send IR signals to your TiVo at home.

It works fine in 3G but you only get 1 audio track (right) on the ipad/iphone even with headphones. Also it can use a ton of bandwidth so I hope you have unlimited!

Slingplayer on Windows can do timeshiftimg. Really you don't need a local time shifting your hooked up to a Tivo! Placeshifting in Slingbox is for people who use the QAM Coax in. If you do it on Windows and your player crashes you lose everything you paused behind - if you use the Tivo pause if the player ever crashes your all gravy!
FYI, he wants the ability to record while he has a good Internet connection (3G/wifi) so that when he DOESN'T have a connection he can still watch the show he recorded. All the Tivo's in the world hooked to his home LAN can't solve that issue if he's away from home with no Internet connection to his iPad.

The best thing I've done is get the Jaksta software and record it to pc then transfer to the iPad. It has an auto feature that saves it in many different formats including iDevice compatible ones. Just have it save directly into your iTunes folder then transfer as you would any video.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
In your situation, a Stream probably makes more sense than a Slingbox. Before travelling, you would simply download a bunch of shows to your iPad, and then you can watch them at your leisure without having to rely on an internet connection.

I have a Slingbox. They're great, but you really need a fast upstream connection at home, as well as a solid downstream connection at your remote location in order to fully take advantage of it.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
In your situation, a Stream probably makes more sense than a Slingbox. Before travelling, you would simply download a bunch of shows to your iPad, and then you can watch them at your leisure without having to rely on an internet connection.

I have a Slingbox. They're great, but you really need a fast upstream connection at home, as well as a solid downstream connection at your remote location in order to fully take advantage of it.
But a Stream can't "stream" outside the home like a slingbox can so my solution covers both scenarios.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Eamus Catuli

Exclamation Slingbox issue with the TiVo peanut remote

Sort of found my answer to the question in post 3 above:

http://answers.slingbox.com/thread/23681

Looks like it is a problem at the Slingbox side - many users affected. In case anyone else finds this thread for the same issue the suggested workaround for the time being is <Reconfigure your SlingBox with the "TIVO series3 (remote address 5)" remote>.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
button1066

Quote:
The Belkin @TV does exactly what you are enquiring about. You can record shows in real time as they stream and play them back later without internet connection.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
The Belkin @TV does exactly what you are enquiring about. You can record shows in real time as they stream and play them back later without internet connection.
Wow that looks kind of cool. I've seen it before but just thought it was a cheap Belkin knockoff of the Slingbox and didn't really take it seriously. I have a Vulkano Deluxe that sort of does the recording to idevice as well, but it seems like a cludge compared to this. Is this feature easy using the @TV? Can you elaborate on it?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Wow that looks kind of cool. I've seen it before but just thought it was a cheap Belkin knockoff of the Slingbox and didn't really take it seriously. I have a Vulkano Deluxe that sort of does the recording to idevice as well, but it seems like a cludge compared to this. Is this feature easy using the @TV? Can you elaborate on it?
While streaming you touch the screen to display the menu and a record button shows up which you select and then tell it how long to record for. It's pretty simple and works well. Other than the TiVo Stream it is the easiest way of getting video from a TiVo onto a tablet that I know of and it has the advantage of allowing recording of copy protected content like HBO.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
HarperVision

Great! And it'll record directly to whichever device you happen to be using at the time? (PC, iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.?)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
moyekj

FWIW you can record Slingbox encoded output directly as well (which is not in a mobile device friendly format). See:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=504853

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote