TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
nuraman00

Live broadcast recording?

I just got my Tivo today.

I'm looking through various sports programs, such as the Australian Open (tennis).

How do I tell if an upcoming broadcast will be a live broadcast or not?

I know the entire tournament is on ESPN 2, but I think the To Do list on my Tivo is going to record both live broadcast and the tape-delayed broadcasts.
nuraman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
nuraman00

I called Tivo. They said they get their program info from zap2it, which gets it from TMS (Tribune Media Services). If TMS doesn't say it's live, then there won't be a way of knowing.

I'm looking at the broadcast info of a NFL Playoffs game right now, and it doesn't say whether it's live or not.

So it looks like it won't be able to tell if other sporting events are live or not.

I just don't want duplicate events recorded. Because sometimes for tennis, or NBA playoffs games, they'll air a game live, then the rebroadcast right after. Or for tennis, certain portions of the day are live, and others are tape delayed. When the tennis events occur in other countries (such as Australia), it's a little hard to keep track of which time periods will be live, and which will be tape delayed. I was hoping the Tivo would be able to figure it out, without me looking at an external program guide on the internet.

Has anyone found any tips to find a way to tell if a broadcast is live or not, especially for sports?
nuraman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Generally, there will an "R" in the info for a repeat. For instance, ESPN is rerunning the GoDaddy.com bowl at 3AM EST and it has:

College Football
"GoDaddy.com Bowl: Arkansas State vs. Kent State"
(Mon 1/7 3:00Am - 5:00AM) From Mobile, Ala. (HD,R)

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you are looking forward in the guide, the only way to tell if a program is a live event is to select it to record.
If it is a live event, the Tivo will tell you so and ask if you want to add extra time to the recording.

Unfortunately, if the program is already set to record, you will not get this warning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote