TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
fflewddur
R&D

Java port of TivoDecode

In case this is of any interest: I recently ported tivodecode 0.4.4 to Java and implemented support for Transport Stream files. Both the source code and precompiled JARs are available on GitHub. Any feedback/bug reports are welcome!

Update: You can download the latest stable version at https://github.com/fflewddur/tivolibre/releases.

Last edited by fflewddur; 09-21-2015 at 08:46 PM.
fflewddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
telemark

Link:
https://github.com/fflewddur/tivolibre

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
fflewddur
R&D

Thanks for posting the link. I just updated the code with some fixes and a much-improved command-line application; usage instructions are included in the README file.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
fflewddur
R&D

And as of today, TivoLibre also supports Program Stream files, bringing it up to feature parity with tivodecode.

I also added support for PipedInputStream sources via an internal buffer, which allows TivoLibre to act as a pass-through while downloading. For example, you can setup a PipedInputStream and PipedOutputStream pair before downloading and create an instance of TivoDecoder with the PipedInputStream as its input and the destination file as its output. Each time you read a packet from the network, you write it to the PipedOutputStream. TivoLibre will decode it in real-time and write it to the output file, saving you the need to save the entire file to disk before beginning the decoding process.

As always, bug reports are welcome!

Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
moyekj

Wow, thanks for sharing, this could be very useful.

I have a TS .TiVo file that doesn't decrypt either with tivodecode-ng or tivolibre. The tivolibre error is:
SEVERE: Error: No TransportStream exists with PID 0x0633

tivodecode-ng just gives a seg fault with no useful information.
NOTE: There are several other clips that tivodecode-0.44 and tivodecode-ng have trouble with as well. Haven't tried them all with tivolibre yet.
I did get tivolibre to work with at least 1 short H.264 TS .TiVo file.

DirectShowDump works without any issues at all.

I was able to make a very small 20 sec clip using VideoRedo that still has the problem and that you can download from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0S...ew?usp=sharing

If you need my MAK for further debugging please send a PM, though you will probably need to get your post count up before you can do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
fflewddur
R&D

Awesome, thanks for including a file so I can investigate. I'll shoot you a PM for the MAK.

EDIT: Or not; the forum won't let me send PMs without 10 posts. Could you send it to me instead?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflewddur View Post
Awesome, thanks for including a file so I can investigate. I'll shoot you a PM for the MAK.

EDIT: Or not; the forum won't let me send PMs without 10 posts. Could you send it to me instead?
OK, PM sent. I assume you can at least read PMs sent to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
fflewddur
R&D

Yep, got it. Thank you!

It looks like TivoLibre is also choking on a recording of Ken Burn's Civil War documentary from last night, so I've got a couple of test cases to fix now

Old 09-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Ziphead

I get the following message when I try to clone the repo from the command line:

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/fflewddur/tivolibre.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /Users/wmcbrine/tivolibre/.git/
Cannot get remote repository information.
Perhaps git-update-server-info needs to be run there?
I got the same thing on another GitHub repo a few days ago, so it may be something GitHub is doing wrong. "Download as .Zip" works.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
fflewddur
R&D

Odd, it's working fine for me. Just ran this a second ago:

Code:
todd@dathyl:tmp$ git clone https://github.com/fflewddur/tivolibre.git
Cloning into 'tivolibre'...
remote: Counting objects: 121, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (84/84), done.
remote: Total 121 (delta 44), reused 92 (delta 19), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (121/121), 523.19 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (44/44), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
todd@dathyl:tmp$ git --version
git version 2.3.2 (Apple Git-55)
todd@dathyl:tmp$
Maybe it was a temporary issue with GitHub?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Well, this seems to explain my problem:

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/17220

Sure enough, I tried it with "git://", and it worked fine. The odd thing is that I'm sure I cloned repos much more recently than the cut-off date they talked about there. Hmpf.

Sorry.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing, this could be very useful.

I have a TS .TiVo file that doesn't decrypt either with tivodecode-ng or tivolibre. The tivolibre error is:
SEVERE: Error: No TransportStream exists with PID 0x0633

tivodecode-ng just gives a seg fault with no useful information.
NOTE: There are several other clips that tivodecode-0.44 and tivodecode-ng have trouble with as well. Haven't tried them all with tivolibre yet.
I did get tivolibre to work with at least 1 short H.264 TS .TiVo file.

DirectShowDump works without any issues at all.

I was able to make a very small 20 sec clip using VideoRedo that still has the problem and that you can download from here:

If you need my MAK for further debugging please send a PM, though you will probably need to get your post count up before you can do that.
Thanks again for sending that file. I found a couple of obvious problems and fixed them, and decided to let the library discard packets for streams that weren't specified in the file's PMT. I'm not certain it's the right way to handle that situation--there are still a couple of fields in the PMT packet that I don't understand, and I'm guessing they describe the missing stream. Still, discarding the packets doesn't seem to hurt, and the resulting MPEG plays properly.

I'm still getting "Invalid TS header" errors on a separate file, so these fixes didn't take care of all of the issues.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks again for sending that file. I found a couple of obvious problems and fixed them, and decided to let the library discard packets for streams that weren't specified in the file's PMT. I'm not certain it's the right way to handle that situation--there are still a couple of fields in the PMT packet that I don't understand, and I'm guessing they describe the missing stream. Still, discarding the packets doesn't seem to hurt, and the resulting MPEG plays properly.

I'm still getting "Invalid TS header" errors on a separate file, so these fixes didn't take care of all of the issues.
Thanks for that fix and I confirmed my short clip now decrypts OK, though it comes out smaller file size than DSD decrypt and obviously diff shows a difference, but playing it there are no obvious glitches.

For the full clip decrypt I'm getting a different error now:
Sep 09, 2015 7:01:30 PM net.straylightlabs.tivolibre.TransportStreamDecoder process
SEVERE: Unsupported packet type: NONE

Looks like this happens at the very end of the decrypt since time wise the full decrypt does seem to happen. Again the full clip is smaller by several bytes from DSD version (2906039704 bytes vs 2909128544 bytes from DSD).

I'll try and see if I can duplicate the problem with a short clip of the end of the large clip so that I can upload it for you to take a look at.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
moyekj

OK, I did manage to create short clip to reproduce the new problem:

Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #15
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
For the full clip decrypt I'm getting a different error now:
Sep 09, 2015 7:01:30 PM net.straylightlabs.tivolibre.TransportStreamDecoder process
SEVERE: Unsupported packet type: NONE

Looks like this happens at the very end of the decrypt since time wise the full decrypt does seem to happen. Again the full clip is smaller by several bytes from DSD version (2906039704 bytes vs 2909128544 bytes from DSD).
This should be fixed now, too. That's from the same recording as the first clip you sent, right? I ask because it also has lots of packets associated with stream 0x0633, just like the first clip, but the header for the file doesn't setup a stream with that ID. I haven't seen that behavior on any files off of my TiVo, which is the only device I have to test with. If you have any thoughts on what the extra data might be (different language audio? Subtitles?), I'm all ears. But since they don't seem related to the main audio and video streams, there doesn't seem to be much harm in discarding those packets, hence the smaller file size.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #16
moyekj

Quote:
This should be fixed now, too. That's from the same recording as the first clip you sent, right? I ask because it also has lots of packets associated with stream 0x0633, just like the first clip, but the header for the file doesn't setup a stream with that ID. I haven't seen that behavior on any files off of my TiVo, which is the only device I have to test with. If you have any thoughts on what the extra data might be (different language audio? Subtitles?), I'm all ears. But since they don't seem related to the main audio and video streams, there doesn't seem to be much harm in discarding those packets, hence the smaller file size.
Yes, it's from same recording and confirm it's now fixed. I tried a couple more clips that I never got to work properly with tivodecode/tivodecode-ng and they are working now with tivolibre, so it looks like a big improvement already to me over tivodecode at least for TS TiVo files, so great job!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #17
moyekj

Garbled decrypt

This clip decrypts to exact same file size as DSD with tivolibre but playback is completely garbled while DSD generated file playback is fine:

Note that for this one, tivodecode-ng works fine (and gives same file size as DSD).

Old 09-10-2015, 03:14 AM   #18
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
This clip decrypts to exact same file size as DSD with tivolibre but playback is completely garbled while DSD generated file playback is fine:

Note that for this one, tivodecode-ng works fine (and gives same file size as DSD).
Can't win, can we?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out why your first two samples work better with tivolibre... The other day, I felt I was tantalizingly close to solving the whole thing -- my model "problem child" clip has large blocks that decode properly if I just shift the Turing data by one byte; the only trick is figuring out when to do that -- but these clips are a completely different set of problems. Bleah.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #19
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out why your first two samples work better with tivolibre... The other day, I felt I was tantalizingly close to solving the whole thing -- my model "problem child" clip has large blocks that decode properly if I just shift the Turing data by one byte; the only trick is figuring out when to do that -- but these clips are a completely different set of problems. Bleah.
I think the first samples are working because 1) TivoLibre discards packets with an unknown PID (as suggested here) and 2) it fixes a problem handling what should be the 12 ES Info Length bits in the PMT packet, but the original tivodecode code treated them as 13 bits. That extra bit is almost always 0, so usually no harm done, but every now and then it's 1, and that screws up handling the rest of the PMT packet. I think you can fix that in tivo_decoder_ts.cxx by changing the line
Code:
es_info_length = pmt_field & 0x1fff;
to
Code:
es_info_length = pmt_field & 0x0fff;
Hope that helps!

Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
Hope that helps!
It did indeed! Thanks.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:

I think I fixed this inadvertently while getting another file to decode properly; at any rate, it decodes and plays fine on my computer (Mac OS X 10.10, VLC 2.21, Java 1.8.0_60) with today's 0.5.4 release of TivoLibre. Diff also doesn't show any differences between the file generated by tivodecode-ng and TivoLibre. Not sure what the problem was, though, and that's going to irk me.

I really appreciate you testing this out on a wider selection of files than I have available. If you find any more that don't decode properly, please let me know.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #22
moyekj

OK, here's an old one that gave the original author of TS tivodecode headaches trying to figure out (and I don't think ever did):

tivolibre, tivodecode-ng and DSD all produce same file size.
tivolibre and tivodecode-ng files are identical (via diff) but there are several very obvious segments where it's not getting decrypted correctly - you will see square blocks appear all over the video.
The DSD produced file plays back perfectly.

From what I recall there were a few other clips such as this one that I had, but I can't seem to find them. Solving this one I think may solve the last type of problem that I recall seeing with tivodecode and TS files.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #23
telemark

So glad to see revived activity.

VLC is known as a liberal decoder. If you want to track down unseen bugs, you might see if there's a mpeg validater that could be used.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
In my experience previously noodling with tivodecode, I never saw streams that weren't part of the PMT. I can't see how that would impact the playout of the decoded video.

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #25
PaulS

Quote:
Can't win, can we?

Haha... Join the club! I saw the same thing when I was working on tivodecode. I'd have two sample clips that looked exactly the same at the same spot in the encryption process, excepting one had a packet with encrypted contents and the other did not. Never could figure that one out...

Old 09-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
PaulS

As an aside : how performant do we think this port will be, as compared to the C/C++ implementations ? Quick enough for at least real-time decode ? Do we think that any/all of the fixes here can be backported to the C++ version ?

I'm thinking about the application of this new version, given the PipedInputStream/PipedOutputStream support. One could probably implement a streaming playback application using this.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
As an aside : how performant do we think this port will be, as compared to the C/C++ implementations ? Quick enough for at least real-time decode ? Do we think that any/all of the fixes here can be backported to the C++ version ?

I'm thinking about the application of this new version, given the PipedInputStream/PipedOutputStream support. One could probably implement a streaming playback application using this.
It's noticeably faster than the C++ version. I just timed it on my machine (Core i7 2.6 Ghz), and a 2GB file took 16.8 seconds to decode; tivodecode took 22.8 seconds on the same file. Definitely fast enough for real-time playback.

As for back-porting fixes, I'm sure it's possible, but I'll leave that to someone else. I tried to clean up the code during the initial port, and I keep refactoring it into more module chunks as I gain a better understanding of the decoding processes, so there's not a one-to-one correspondence with tivodecode anymore.

- Cross-platform app for archiving TiVo recordings to your computer

- Java app and library for decrypting TiVo files
Old 09-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Well, so far, tivodecode-ng is 2x-3x faster than tivolibre for me, so that's interesting. Core 2 Duo (old MacBook Air).

I plan to backport anything applicable... of course, I still hope to be first to a complete solution, so the porting will have to go the other way. Currently, I can cleanly decode every sample moyekj posted to this thread (except the last), with the benefit of the one-bit patch in #19. I still have my problem child, which both tivodecode-ng and tivolibre fail on -- seemingly in completely different ways, strangely enough. (They had produced identical output a few tivolibre versions ago.)

Last edited by wmcbrine; 09-11-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
fflewddur
R&D

Quote:
Well, so far, tivodecode-ng is 2x-3x faster than tivolibre for me, so that's interesting. Core 2 Duo (old MacBook Air).
I only tested one file, so my numbers may not be typical. I'm trying to get it correctly processing TS files before really looking into performance issues; just wanted to make it clear that it's fast enough for real-time use.

Quote:
I plan to backport anything applicable... of course, I still hope to be first to a complete solution, so the porting will have to go the other way. Currently, I can cleanly decode every sample moyekj posted to this thread (except the last), with the benefit of the one-bit patch in #19. I still have my problem child, which both tivodecode-ng and tivolibre fail on -- seemingly in completely different ways, strangely enough. (They had produced identical output a few tivolibre versions ago.)
I'll keep you posted on any issues I find that were likely to come from the tivodecode codebase. In addition to the ES bit fix, tivodecode chokes on packets from streams that weren't specified in the PMT (for an example, see the first file moyekj posted), and if the transport stream gets out of sync, it can't recover. I've got a 10 GB file with this problem; if you're interested, I'll try to trim it down to a smaller size that still exhibits the issue and post it online for you. I fixed the later problem by scanning for TS sync bytes (0x47) 188 bytes apart; once TivoLibre finds a few of them, it resyncs at the first and starts reading packets again.

- Cross-platform app for archiving TiVo recordings to your computer

- Java app and library for decrypting TiVo files
Old 09-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
In addition to the ES bit fix, tivodecode chokes on packets from streams that weren't specified in the PMT (for an example, see the first file moyekj posted)
I'm not seeing the choking?

Quote:
and if the transport stream gets out of sync, it can't recover. I've got a 10 GB file with this problem; if you're interested, I'll try to trim it down to a smaller size that still exhibits the issue and post it online for you.
I welcome any test cases, and BTW, I'll take any size of file. As far as resync goes, tivodecode-ng already has a patch for that, but I'm not sure I've ever had a test case for it.