TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
atomarchio

Do I need CABLECARD in order to setup/use the Preimere?

I purchased another Tivo Premiere.

Is it possible to setup the Premiere without a cablecard? I don't really need any of the channels the card would offer? The card is only the switched digital channels, right?

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post

Is it possible to setup the Premiere without a cablecard? I don't really need any of the channels the card would offer? The card is only the switched digital channels, right?

You need the cable card for any digital cable channels. It will only work correctly with the old unscrambled analog channels without the cable card. It will also tune any unscrambled digital channels but you will not receive guide data for them from TiVo. Note you could also use it for OTA if you have an antenna and get ok reception.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you have the regular Premiere... not a cable-only model like the XL4, as long as it's subscribed, it can be used to record/watch over-the-air channels (provided an antenna is connected, of course), can access content and stream recordings from other Premieres on the same account on your network (and transfer recordings from other Series 3 or HD TiVo's), and can access any content online that it is capable of handling, all without a CableCARD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
As has been said, you'll need a cable card to get guide data for any digital cable channels. It's the tuning adapter box that maps switched digital channels.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:

You don't need the cable card, but with a cable feed, you will get very tired of the error messages. Since you will not be recording shows that are on your lineup (which you get from the cable card) there will be an error message telling you that frequently. I lasted a month before I rented the card. You may wish to buy the card if your cable company will activate it for you. Every cable feed is different. Buying a used M-card on eBay is very cheap compared to renting.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You don't need the cable card, but with a cable feed, you will get very tired of the error messages. Since you will not be recording shows that are on your lineup (which you get from the cable card) there will be an error message telling you that frequently. I lasted a month before I rented the card. You may wish to buy the card if your cable company will activate it for you. Every cable feed is different. Buying a used M-card on eBay is very cheap compared to renting.
When I called Time Warner (Cleveland), they told me it's $2.50 per month to rent the card. I also need a tuning adapter I guess.

Is anyone using TimeWarner avoiding the monthly charge by purchasing the cablecard? I had no idea that was an option.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
tatergator1

Putting it mildly, it's very unlikely you could convince TWC to allow you to buy a CableCard. Even when they allow you to supply your own modem, it's limited to 2 specific models, despite the fact TWC has been known to use at least half a dozen modem models in the field, all much cheaper than what they "support" for user supplied hardware.

If your going to get the card, go through TWC. At least it's not Comcast socking you with bogus $10 "outlet fees."
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Putting it mildly, it's very unlikely you could convince TWC to allow you to buy a CableCard. Even when they allow you to supply your own modem, it's limited to 2 specific models, despite the fact TWC has been known to use at least half a dozen modem models in the field, all much cheaper than what they "support" for user supplied hardware.

If your going to get the card, go through TWC. At least it's not Comcast socking you with bogus $10 "outlet fees."
I tried buying TWC's recommended Motorola Surfboard but it was awful so I returned it and purchased a different model. (They're going to charge me $3.95 per month since I am not using the Motorola)

And I just called TWC again. I can't purchase the cablecard (either from them or anywhere) and required to pay monthly fee of $2.50.

Not a huge deal really just a bit annoying.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
And I just called TWC again. I can't purchase the cablecard (either from them or anywhere) and required to pay monthly fee of $2.50.

Not a huge deal really just a bit annoying.
It's certainly better than the $3.99 per card I pay to Verizon for 4 of them.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
But not as good as the $0.00 per card I pay for 6 of them from Comcast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Agreed. Much better than paying for their
Dvr .
even if it was $16 I'd still choose that
over their dvr.

They sell their gigabit router for $79.
They should sell their M-card also,
for about $25, and no rental fee.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Tony Chick

in general, the recommended procedure seems to be to say you will install a cable card later when asked, complete setup and let it download the latest software. You can then install the cable card at a later time.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
nmpeter

Setup with no cable card suggested!

I plugged my new bargain Premier ( $79! Tivo holiday special)) into my new cable feed ( adios DTV, after 16 years!) and allowed it to do all of it's setups and upgrades. I was watching the standard analog channels within an hour. The instructions indicated you should let the tivo do some updates and download guides before calling for the cable card.

A few days later the cable company showed up with the decoder card ( btw, FCC regr state they should ( in most if not all cases) HAND you a card over the counter for a self install)). Being in a small town I didn't want to press it much. Anyhow, it was all good.

I booted the tivo with the m card installed and after checking the cable card screens a few phone calls the installed left assuring me the rest of my hd channels would be available within the hour.

he was right.

I dumped DTV after 16 years for classic reasons I won't repeat.

Now with a Ceton cable tuner card and WMC as a backup for our new tivo, we finally have HD and pretty much unlimted recording capacity.

With netflix and hulu we're saving $60 a month over our old service and have faster internet too!

I'm dumping shows from the tico to my pc and then using windows media center to stream them to the other tv's at home.

On a side note, it appeas that no cable company is going to let you "buy" a cable card. After losing set top box revenue..they gotta keep the milk flowing somehow.

Baja NM gets $1.50 a month per card. The one in my PC can record 4 streams at once in HD. The equiv of having a $400 tivo xl ( ok the interface isn't as nice, but i can live with that. Money is tighter these days
nmpeter is offline   Reply With Quote